Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got about a 10 year supply of Steradent thanks to my late mother who used the stuff to clean her false teeth. Has anyone got any experience of using Steradent to clean their choke tubes before I try?

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Experience? No. You may be venturing into virgin territory.

Looking at the ingredients, the stuff might remove carbon deposits, but I'd be surprised if it had any effect on plastic buildup. If you decide to go ahead, let us know how it works.

·
Registered
3,671 Posts
The citric acid maybe a deal breaker, but they'll be "minty" fresh for the next round

Ingredients
Sodium Bicarbonate, Potassium Caroate, Sodium Carbonate Peroxide, Citric Acid, Sodium Sulfate, Sodium Carbonate, Peg-150, Malic Acid, Sodium Dodecylbenzenesulphoate, Peg-90, Aroma, Taed, Glucose, Sodium Chloride, Aqua, Cellulose Gum, Calcium Sulphate Hydrate, Magnesium Sulphate, Cl 28440, Cl 42090

Seriously, donate the stuff to a nursing home and use the write off, buy a good cleaner for the gun and be done. Trying to save a few dollars is borderline psychotic in this sport.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mwr01 said:
Experience? No. You may be venturing into virgin territory.

Looking at the ingredients, the stuff might remove carbon deposits, but I'd be surprised if it had any effect on plastic buildup. If you decide to go ahead, let us know how it works.
I'll let you know how it went on Friday once I've given my choke tubes a thorough soaking on Thursday night.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hayfield said:
Did your mother have a habit of chewing on wads of plastic marinated in gunpowder?

:s
Not as far as I'm aware.

However, she did once claim she'd left her false teeth to soak in Steradent overnight and they'd dissolved in the process so she had to have some new ones made.

We'd looked high and low and never found her original dentures until I was going through her things after she'd passed away aged 97. Then I found them in an old teapot. How many cups of tea she must have made like that I've no idea.

I'd always blamed her dog for the disappearance thinking it'd found her teeth and buried them somewhere in the garden.......things that happen :?

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
DallasCMT said:
I've got to hear the outcome of this! (subscribing thread)
My experiment using Sterdadent is "ongoing" as we speak........I will post a final report later today.

I put a Beretta Optima choke tube and a stainless steel aftermarket choke tube (both in fired/uncleaned condition) in a glass jar last night, added three Steradent tablets and filled the jar with warm water. This morning the water has taken on a deep blue hue. I can just make out the outlines of the choke tubes inside covered in tiny bubbles. The smell emanating from the jar has a slightly minty fragrance. It's too early yet to say whether this is a breakthrough in revolutionising choke tube cleaning :| .

·
Registered
11,204 Posts
I wouldn't use it - citric acid and sodium chloride in the formulation are known to be corrosive to steel and stainless steel! It probably won't hurt if you only use it once, but organic solvents are better suited to removing plastic.

Don't try "home remedies" on your guns!

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Old_Diabetic_100 said:
DallasCMT said:
I've got to hear the outcome of this! (subscribing thread)
My experiment using Sterdadent is "ongoing" as we speak........I will post a final report later today.

I put a Beretta Optima choke tube and a stainless steel aftermarket choke tube (both in fired/uncleaned condition) in a glass jar last night, added three Steradent tablets and filled the jar with warm water. This morning the water has taken on a deep blue hue. I can just make out the outlines of the choke tubes inside covered in tiny bubbles. The smell emanating from the jar has a slightly minty fragrance. It's too early yet to say whether this is a breakthrough in revolutionising choke tube cleaning :| .
I've just removed the two choke tubes from their 24 hour soaking in concentrated Sterdadent solution. I dried the exterior of both tubes with paper kitchen towel then pushed two rolled up patches of kitchen towel through each tube.

Observation: Half of the outside of the Beretta tube had changed color. This appears to be permanent (although I haven't yet tried gently rubbing the exterior with steel wool). Instead of it being a uniform silver, the exterior is a patchy silver and a gunmetal blue in a 50:50 ratio. The gunmetal blue resembles an application of a 'cold blue' compound after inadequate degreasing.

The outside of the aftermarket stainless steel choke (made by Teague) is an absolutely pristine silver color. There is no other way of describing it.

Pushing two rolled up patches of kitchen towel through each tube by hand resulted in two very dirty pieces of paper in each case and no obvious signs of shot/powder/plastic residue left inside the tubes. A couple of gentle passes with a phosphor bronze brush made no obvious improvement.......I'd call both tubes perfectly clean.

As far as I can tell, the insides of both tubes are bright silver. There is no sign of the gunmetal blue discolouration noted earlier as far as I can tell.

Conclusion: I would not intend to try to clean any of my Beretta tubes with Steradent again, but I can see no reason not to clean my Teague chokes this way in the future.

Perhaps further experimentation would be helpful using a wider selection of aftermarket choke tubes by an expert with more time like Andy Wakeman.

·
Registered
170 Posts
This is just silly.

Use bore cleaner, or a purpose-made product like Slip2000 choke tube cleaner. Now you've basically screwed up a perfectly ok Beretta choke tube for no reason. (At least the finish)

Why ask if you were going to do it anyway? Not sure what got you so keen on trying this, but hopefully this kind of silliness is out of your system.

What's next, gasoline or acetone for cleaning wood finishes? Wire wheel for bluing? Tell us!
Mike B

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Jim Miller said:
I think I would rather spend a couple of bucks on a bottle of choke cleaner. If I can spend thousands of dollars on a gun I can handle a couple of bucks for choke cleaner. But, that is just me.
That's sensible, but when you've fortuitously and unexpectedly been bequeathed (for me at least) a lifetime's supply of Steradent, which I don't use because I still have all my own pearly whites, and have choke tubes coming out of your ears, I thought I'd indulge myself in a little experimentation. There's no compulsion of course to pay any attention to my attempt at alternative utilisation of resources :) .

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
CTSCA Mike said:
Why ask if you were going to do it anyway? Not sure what got you so keen on trying this, but hopefully this kind of silliness is out of your system. Mike B
You concern is appreciated but don't worry.......I can afford a few hundred thousand choke tubes :) .

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
O-D: The discoloration is cosmetic and not structural. Unless public opinion is high on your list of personal approvals to be sought after at any cost--go ahead clean them any way you want.

Given the aging of the sporting clays shooters your experiment may open up many new and unheard of cost saving measures. I am on way to lube my choke threads with Preparation-H.

edited for fumble fingers

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ded&ded said:
O-D: The discoloration is cosmetic and not structural. Unless public opinion is high on your list of personal approvals to be sought after at any cost--go ahead clean them any way you want.

Given the aging of the sporting clays shooters your experiment may open up many new and unheard of cost saving measures. I am on way to lube my choke threads with Preparation-H.
Haha!..........approbation isn't necessary in the slightest :lol: . My stainless steel choke tubes remain in 'minty' fresh condition and don't give any impression of fading away, so I'll continue with my experiment for the foreseeable future.

I've no personal experience of Preparation-H, but wish you good luck with your idea :) .

·
Registered
14,667 Posts
Mine , too.

You are way overthinking this. Have your doctor adjust your meds.

·
Registered
679 Posts
My choke tubes aren't self cleaning though I often wish my entire gun was!

Wondering why cleaning chokes is considered to be any different than cleaning the barrels? I clean, degrease and lubricate the muzzles with the thin wall chokes in. Then I remove the chokes and clean and lightly lubricate the barrel threads though when done after every visit to the club I find very little grunge works its way under the choke. Then I clean the exterior of the chokes and don't them put back in until I'm happy they're well lubricated with a choke grease.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.