Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Used the search function but didn't come up with anything here,
does anyone clean their hulls before reloading them?
My loads will be used for hunting, empties are sure to get dirt & sand in them.

·
Registered
17,956 Posts
Depending on what hull we are talking about I sometimes just slosh them arround in hot soapy water and then rinse them and let them dry. Other times I blow them off and out with a spray nozzel from my air compressor. This of course if they are too dirty to use just like they are.

BP

·
Registered
86 Posts
Several years ago I purchased an old used washing machine just for the purpose of washing my shells. Set it up behind the house at an electrical plug. Water not to far away either. When I wash, just put in some water and simple green. Let it churn for a few minutes; drain and add more water to clean off the soap. Spread them out on a towel on the patio out of the sun and they dry in no time(southwest desert). Works great: don't have the firey redhead on me butt about using hers. Found out it is safer too(lead in the washing machine) :shock: . Just a side note; make sure the shells you put in the machine are all plastic. The paper based one make a heck of a mess. Good luck

·
Premium Member
20,272 Posts
I NEVER wash hulls before reloading them. When my autoloader tosses the empties in the dirt, I just pick them up, turn them upside down, tap them gently once or twice, and then put them in my shell pouch. If you really want to be extra careful, just turn them upside down and tap them on the reloading bench just before inserting the hull into the reloading press. On the rare occasion when an empty shell lands in a mud puddle, I just put that one in a separate pocket and discard it when I get home. No sense, IMO, in having to do laundry on a few hulls which are worth only a couple of pennys each.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies.
Tossed some in my tumbler (vibratory) and it seemed to help - brass is shiny anyway! It's too small a unit to do very many at once.
Guess I really won't worry about appearances like I do with my handgun brass.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Greyghost: I made a statement at the end of my post not the
wash paper base cases. Furner: If you can, please give the reference that stated not the wash cases. Reason I ask is that my family has been washing plastic cases since about 1969???? Never heard or read anything about not to wash them before now. Thanks

·
Registered
117 Posts
everbody should all ready know this but here goes:
:lol:
Dirty hulls are a sign of prestige at the range or in the field. It shows that you are a handloader and pick up your hulls. The more burnt powder on the hulls, the better. It shows that you are a true shotgun fanatic....willing to spend thousands of dollars on shotguns and gear but unwilling to throw away a 6 cent hull that will barelly crimp and allows bb's to run out the end of your barrel.
If a fella were to die from a heart attack on the skeet range all empty hulls would be snatched from his shell holder before calling 911, ...especially if they were AA 20 or 28 gauge hulls.
(loaded hulls would remain untouched...respect for the dead and all.) :lol:

Seriously...cleaning dirty hulls is like ironing blue jeans.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I did this once. Had quite a few hulls someone gave me that had dried mud on and in them. But them in a mesh laundry bag and in the washer they went. came out clean. I made the mistake of tossing them in to the dryer to dry them out. WOW what a noise !!!!!!! 400 hulls bouncing around in a dryer makes quite a lot of NOISE. :shock: :shock:

Have never washed a hull since.

APEXDUCK

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Why not wash paper base wad hulls if its done quickly? I agree that if the paper base wad hulls are allowed to get thoroughly soaked through and even allowed to stand with water in them they'll get ruined, but what about long enough to wash off the outside?

Of course I'd only do this on a very hot summer day after I'd first deprimed the hulls I was going to wash!

I have over 2200-2300 promo Federal hulls I picked up for free mostly, but sometimes from trash cans that had Coke cans and coffee grounds through them.

I've never washed any hulls, but as long as the primers are knocked out first and quickly dried, will washing really hurt?

One thing I do know is that even the lowest setting in an over will ruin wet hulls. The plastic will shrivel beyond use.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Kinda funny, I'm a brass scrounge at the range; get all excited if I find a pile of shiny reloadable brass but I never paid much attention to hulls.
Went out to pattern my loads this morning (they'll work fine) and found a box of Rem. XTS hulls begging me to take them home. Empty box was there too. :)

·
Registered
818 Posts
Guess it's personal preference. Our family has been washing hulls forever. Mesh bag in washing machine after de-priming and resizing. Set on cookie sheet with oven on WARM only to dry. BIG NOTE ON OVEN FOR THE WIFE NOT TO TURN ON OVEN !!!

It has happened. I lost over 500 28 gauge children ( each one had a name!). 500 shells snuffed out in the prime of their respective lives due to nothing more than the wanton need to bake a pie. Needless waste of shell life. Still brings tears to my eyes. :cry:

I only wash when they get really nasty. Also a great time to inspect hulls for cracks, splits etc.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Washing hulls is:
1) Unnecessary. Bright and shiny hulls will load no different than tarnished ones.
2) I honestly dont remember where I read the warning about not washing your hulls, but I did jot it down in my reloading notebook. I think it had something to do with the stress it puts on the hulls.

there really is no reason to wash your hulls. if its dirty, throw the dumb thing away, they are only 4 or 5 cents a piece.

·
Registered
30 Posts
There are a couple of things you have to be careful with if you wash your shells :

1) If you use a washing program that heats the shells even close to the boiling point of water , the shells will shrink .

2) Unless you drye them well there will be water left in the inner basewad and when loading the shell you will get the water in the powder.Water in powder is a bad thing.

Regards

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Tossed the range find hulls in my tumbler, 24 is about all it will hold at once. They all came out really nice looking. Only problem is static cling; bunch of the media stuck to them. This could be cured by putting a piece of a fabric softner sheet in the tumbler.

·
Registered
17,956 Posts
model12freak, I like your name! I resemble that!

Bless you my son!

I just aquired yet another shotgun yesterday. Yup, another 28 ga! I got 4 boxes of the new AA HS shells too. I shall see if they will become adopted or just favorite nieces and nephews! :wink:

I've kind of become partial to these nice itty-bitty 28 ga. shotguns. They just look like shotgun shells are supposed to look like! 3" .410s are too long, 2 1/2s" are too short. 12 ga is too fat! Not that fat is bad mind you! I'm going to spend a bit more time with my Browning Model 12 and SIGarms Rizzini O/U 28 ga. I think!

BP

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.