Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been cleaning my guns the last year or so with diesel fuel and looks like I'm having pretty luck. The diesel cleans the bore spotless and the other parts as well. It also leaves an oily film (unless I wipe it clean), which I like. The diesel actually removes the bad stuff just as good as Breakfree and other similiar products. However, I'm concerned about the long term effect on the guns. I dont' really see any since diesel is basically gas and oil mixed. The gas evaporates and the oil stays around unless wiped clean.

Has anyone any experience (good and bad) with cleaning with diesel? I'm not concerned about the smell.

thanks, JED

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
I own and drive a diesel truck. I don't need a ton of cleaning solution on hand and I would feel bad about spending $3.65/gallon on cleaning stuff when I could spend it on fuel for my truck.

It will work, though, and I don't think you need worry about damaging parts. The oily residue is an added benefit. I've seen several people mention cleaning with kerosene, which is essentially #1 diesel fuel.

If you HAVE to use diesel fuel, at least buy the red/dyed/farm/ag/off road diesel. It's cheaper because you don't pay the transportation and road taxes otherwise assessed on vehicle fuels.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1 gallon of diesel has lasted me two years worth of cleaning. It's very economical because when I bought the gallon, it was about 2.00 a gallon LOL. The good thing is if you soak the part you're cleaning the dirt will always go to the bottom. Works good with the bore snake. Just dip, squeeze out the snake and let it rip.

JED

·
Registered
9,163 Posts
jed1894 said:
I dont' really see any since diesel is basically gas and oil mixed.
Although some of the physical properties of diesel fuel may be intermediate between gasoline and lubricating oil, it is not a mixture of the two. Diesel's chemical properties and some of its physical properties are quite different. A mixture would contain the highly volatile components of gasoline, which would make the mixture much more dangerous to handle and use than diesel is.

Kerosene is similar to diesel, but a little lighter and more volatile. It is much safer to handle than gasoline, and probably a better solvent than diesel, although I can't verify that from experience. Home heating oil (no. 2 oil) is the same thing as diesel except that diesel has some additives to help keep an engine clean. I have seen furnaces that burned diesel fuel and trucks that ran on no. 2 heating oil.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
MRPOWER said:
If you HAVE to use diesel fuel, at least buy the red/dyed/farm/ag/off road diesel. It's cheaper because you don't pay the transportation and road taxes otherwise assessed on vehicle fuels.
Normally I would agree with this logic except the red diesel is usually a lot higher in sulfur content which I'd worry might cause corrosion/fatigue over time. The new road diesel has really low sulfur content

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I am passionate in my distaste for diesel to the point where I could not begin to explain in print.

As for it's cleaning ability.....there are definately better options. Kerosene being one albeit not much better...mineral spirits is another and in my opinion the best option.

Blow it dry after cleaning then oil with your favorite blend.

Bob

·
Registered
7,643 Posts
In my experience, I'm looking for two products related to gun maintenance...maybe three.

1. A good solvent. As mentioned, diesel really ain't that. Kerosene would be better, brake cleaner much better. Use on trigger groups, ejectors, auto gas parts, etc.

2. A wetting agent for scrubbing bores...can't be as volatile as the solvent...diesel probably work pretty good for this application.

3. Rust protection, here I don't scrimp and I like BC Sheath but there are other very good products out there also.

The idea of one product for all these applications reminds me of McNamara's brilliance in spec'ing the F-4 as an air-to-air, air-to-ground, and recon bird for both USAF and Navy/Marine applications. Ended up mediocre in all roles.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
For what its worth my gunsmith uses a container of diesel that he drops parts in to soak before he cleans them by hand. He likes it for that purpose. After soaking, cleaning, and quick swish in diesel he uses compressed air to blow the parts dry.

·
Registered
4,857 Posts
No, diesel for me. I don't want that stinking crap on my guns or in my gunroom. I don't want my heating and cooling system to pull it through the house. I have no doubt it will clean. I have used it to clean parts on vehicles.

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
I'd hate to hear what my wife would say about the odor of diesel fuel after I clean my guns. I hate the smell as well.

She complains now about the odor of Hoppes#9........ :shock:

I think Hoppes smells like cologne. In fact I put a little dab behind each ear before I go shooting........... :wink: :lol:

·
Registered
7,297 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Tangarm said:
For what its worth my gunsmith uses a container of diesel that he drops parts in to soak before he cleans them by hand. He likes it for that purpose. After soaking, cleaning, and quick swish in diesel he uses compressed air to blow the parts dry.
That's exactly what I do. I dip my whole bolt and gas pistol assembly into the diesel then blow it off. Leaves a nice oil finish. I am really amazed how clean the bore will get with a diesel-soaked bore snake. I tried it one day when I was having trouble getting the plastic wading out and it worked with one swipe.

Thanks for all the replies. I think I'll try kerosene next time to see if there's a difference.

JED

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
DEG said:
I would go through a 32 oz bottle of Hoppes rather quickly and got tired of paying $12 ($48 per gallon) every time I did, so gave Ed's Red Bore Cleaner a try. Great product for 1/4th the cost and seems to clean much better than Hoppes.

Brownells sells a 4 oz bottle of Eds Red for $8 http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ ... px?p=19936

Or, you can do like I do and mix your own for about $13 dollars per gallon. http://www.kuci.uci.edu/~dany/firearms/eds_red.html
???

A mathemetician or accountant I are not, but Hoppes at $12 for 32 oz is too expensive when Ed's Red is at $64 for 32 oz????

·
Registered
7,297 Posts
MRPOWER said:
DEG said:
I would go through a 32 oz bottle of Hoppes rather quickly and got tired of paying $12 ($48 per gallon) every time I did, so gave Ed's Red Bore Cleaner a try. Great product for 1/4th the cost and seems to clean much better than Hoppes.

Brownells sells a 4 oz bottle of Eds Red for $8 http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ ... px?p=19936

Or, you can do like I do and mix your own for about $13 dollars per gallon. http://www.kuci.uci.edu/~dany/firearms/eds_red.html
???

A mathemetician or accountant I are not, but Hoppes at $12 for 32 oz is too expensive when Ed's Red is at $64 for 32 oz????
You missed the last sentence where you can make your own for ~$13 per GALLON. I also provided the link how to do this.

Brownells is just doing the mixing for you and providing a pretty bottle for a profit of over $200 per gallon.

·
Registered
290 Posts
MSDS

Material Safety Data Sheet:

http://72.14.253.104/search?q=cache:1BP ... cd=3&gl=ca

Extract:

Diesel Fuel (All Types) MSDS No. 9909Revision Date: 10/18/2006 Page 2 of 7
INHALATIONExcessive exposure may cause irritations to the nose, throat, lungs and respiratory tract. Central nervous system (brain) effects may include headache, dizziness, loss of balance and coordination, unconsciousness, coma, respiratory failure, and death. WARNING: the burning of any hydrocarbon as a fuel in an area without adequate ventilation may result in hazardous levels of combustion products, including carbon monoxide, and inadequate oxygen levels, which may cause unconsciousness, suffocation, and death. CHRONIC EFFECTS and CARCINOGENICITYSimilar products produced skin cancer and systemic toxicity in laboratory animals following repeated applications. The significance of these results to human exposures has not been determined - see Section 11 Toxicological Information.

11. TOXICOLOGICAL PROPERTIES ACUTE TOXICITYAcute dermal LD50 (rabbits): > 5 ml/kg Acute oral LD50 (rats): 9 ml/kg Primary dermal irritation: extremely irritating (rabbits) Draize eye irritation: non-irritating (rabbits) Guinea pig sensitization: negative CHRONIC EFFECTS AND CARCINOGENICITYCarcinogenic: OSHA: NO IARC: NO NTP: NO ACGIH: A3 Studies have shown that similar products produce skin tumors in laboratory animals following repeated applications without washing or removal. The significance of this finding to human exposure has not been determined. Other studies with active skin carcinogens have shown that washing the animal's skin with soap and water between applications reduced tumor formation. MUTAGENICITY (genetic effects)This material has been positive in a mutagenicity study...

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Diesel's smell prevents me from using it for anything.
I'm sure it make a decent cleaner, though.

I make my own Ed's Red for cheap!!!...about 11 cents an ounce.

·
Registered
9,163 Posts
sherlockbonez said:
I seen many people use varsol up north as well.
Varsol is a brand name for what is commonly called mineral spirits, sometimes called white spirits or Stoddard solvent.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts