Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what cleaning kit would you reccomend for a 870 20 gauge? i don't have any cleaners and im going to shoot clays tommarow. Also, it has to be under $50 ( im 14). thanks!

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
My kit contains a can of CLP and a kit from wally world that has all the common sizes for shotgun and rifles.

even one of the cheap kits will get you started.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Hoppe's Cleaning Kit for a 20 gauge should do it.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Don't get too carried away with kits. Get a good cleaning rod. I have always found the aluminum ones to be fine. Get a bronze brush. Get some Breakfree and a good oil like REMOIL. I use cut up tube socks for patches. Get a swab for the final lube if you want. That's all you really need. Cleaning is business. You don't need fancy matching things to get the job done. You can get fancy carbon rods and all kinds of extras. But I have used the basics for decades and in the end you end up with a nice clean barrel.

·
Registered
9,163 Posts
I'm with sneem on this. I wouldn't buy any kit - they all contain a lot of little gadgets that you don't need, and not enough of the things you do need (patches, solvents, oil, etc).

Get a 3-piece aluminum rod, a brass brush in your gauge size, some patches (or make your own from scrap cloth) and some Breakfree CLP. That's all you need to start with.

The CLP is a combination Cleaner, Lubricant, and Protectant - that's what the CLP stands for. You don't need any other solvents and oils. To wipe the bore, just put a patch over the brass brush.

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
A "Tico Tool" is a nice thing to have in your cleaning arsenal

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
The other problem w/ the "universal cleaning kits" is that their rods are sometimes not long enough. I went and bought a one-piece graphite rod because the one that came w/ my kit wasn't long enough, and that was annoying.

I'll echo the others, unless you own pistols/rifles/shotguns in a wide variety of calibers, or plan to, most of the brushes are useless. I wouldn't have bought mine if I wasn't going to give some of the brushes and rods to my buddy who has a revolver and a little Ruger rifle.

Cameron

·
Registered
165 Posts
Bare minimum:

3ft wooden dowel
Can of CLP
Paper towels/old rags/gun patches

Should cost you about $10.

CLP stands for Clean, Lubricate, Protect. It does very well at all of those areas.

Your 870 is built like a tank. For cleaning, I would do this:

- Remove the barrel, spray some CLP down it. Soak a rag in CLP and push it through the bore with the dowel. Do that a few times then a few more with a clean rag.

- Wipe any gunk out of the action you can see. VERY VERY LIGHTLY spray a little CLP on the mechanisms inside.

- Reassemble the gun, rack the action a dozen times or so, wipe off the excess CLP that will come out of it. Wipe all metal parts with a rag with some CLP on it and put the gun away.

If you, your kids and your grandkids did only those three steps to that 870 it will probably STILL be in great shape after 100 years.

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
I like the Kleen-Bore brushes because I have several different calibers and they come in their own tubes marked with the caliber. Because of that I have a rod that fits those brushes. Other than that - what they said.

John

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
Cleaning rod
bore brush
tooth brush (don't forget to floss :roll:)
solvent (if needed it)
gun oil
rags/paper towels/bore patch (even newspaper will work in a pinch)

:arrow: It amazes me that with all new fangled stuff that shows up in the gun store for cleaning a scattergun, the good old stuff is still there ( hoppi's and the like) just like what my dad use 50-60 years ago. :wink:

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've had bad luck with both Outers Gunslick and Kleenbore cleaning kits - on both kits, had one of the metal spuds break off, leaving the threaded portion in the tip of the cleaning rod leaving it useless. Both made in China according to the kit labels.

I'm thinking of assembling my own kit (from the above suggestions) from good quality parts - not made in China, but am not averse to spending good dollars for a good kit that would handle both 12 and 20 ga. in the field.

·
Registered
60 Posts
kits are great if you want another tin box to have your stuff in. dowel rod an breakfree and an old t shirt is all you need. cut some squares out for patches use the rest of the shirt to wipe down the outside. you will be out 10 bucks and one t-shirt!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Boresnakes aren't bad, but if you wind up getting somthing in the barrel - a kit that has a cleaning rod in it is the way to go. Had it happen once to me and the boresnake was useless.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
after all these replies, i went to dicks and bought a boresnkake, hoppes 9 oil, hoppes 9 bore solvent. then i went to fitch and bought 2 dowell rods. i have lots of cheap rags and shirts so ill be okay in that department. thanks

·
Registered
15,565 Posts
I have an old toolbox I keep all my stuff in. I have gradually over the years filled it up and have lots of things I may not use very often but the one time I need it it's there. I like aproduct called G-96 gun treatment it works great and use Bichwood casey gun scrubber it's excellent for really serious cleanings.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
WD-40 (the BEST) is all you'll ever need. If you get any build up in the barrel just wet it down and fire it...it'll blow any build up out....re-wet it with WD and your good to go!

Keep it simple!

Bob

1 - 20 of 24 Posts