Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
234 Posts
Climbing Targets, note to self - They take less lead than you think.

Note 2 - Why can't I remember this from one week to the next?
Here is a general concept that I have (this will create some comments! :))

Most new shooters miss behind when they miss for 80 to 90 %.
When they start to get better they can "feel" that they are behind and make the correction.

As shooters get better and get really good, they can miss in front more often but many times the shooter can't "feel" being in front.

When we can't feel where we are on a target then we fall back on what we know or think we know. So then we give the target more forward allowance as this is the correction that is known.

Try shooting right at a target and you will start from a point you are sure of. This can have surprising results.

As far as Note 2 I have no clue how to help. :)

While this is helpful in practice, you are screwed in competition for that set of targets.:)

· Registered
2,823 Posts
Great post OP.

I recently figured out (i think anyways) that shallow climbers are easy to shoot over. I guess it's a function of by the time my finger received the signal to pull the trigger the clay has peaked and is starting to fall. Ran into this on a station at Pintail last weekend. Cost me a win in B class.

· Registered
1,576 Posts
Just knowing a high Teal is loosing speed the farther up it goes , does tell a shooter , whether to shoot it
on top or just below , before it starts coming down ? When a pair requires the climber to be shot first , shooting
it with a pass-through method as if it was a crosser serves me better . It's that game plan we adhere to , that
makes it easier than it looks !

· Registered
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Climbing Targets, note to self - They take less lead than you think.

Note 2 - Why can't I remember this from one week to the next?
Darn.....forgot again.
:(

I shot one of my favorite shoots......a club combo shoot. This combo was trap/skeet/5-stand.

Shot good a trap. Shot less than I should at skeet. Doggy bag at 5-stand.

Poor 5 -stand score took me way out of contention. Not to hard for some. One shooter ran 'em. Three shooters down 1, Other than one rabbit trap and one slightly raised trap, all the traps were on the ground and so all those targets were rising targets. Again, I guess I was shooting in front of those rising, and consequently slowing targets.

Get 'em next year.

· Registered
5,401 Posts
Been really struggling lately with climbing, incoming targets, that stay out around 25-30 yards. Like a teal, but instead of going straight up or out, they are coming in.

Figured out I need to shoot at the bottom of the target just before it reaches its apex, just as it starts to slow down.

Easy to say, hard to do.

· Registered
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Note to self #3....use less choke.

Those targets look like they are out there pretty far so I've been using mod/IM on them and at a similar 5-stand. Not doing good.

Oddly I was there one day and my only gun was an 1100 skeet gun. I used it. Done good. Much better than usual. Gotta try less choke.

· Registered
772 Posts
After years of shooting, trapping at larger shoots over time. I'm my own coach, most of the time I can diagnose my shot. Watching people shoot, I can see majority if missed where it was...
Knowing where I missed is generally somewhat helpful to me and I can figure it out on my own. But knowing why I missed takes more time and often requires outside help from someone more knowledgeable than my shooting buddies. The offer from Mike McAlpine is amazing.

· Registered
15,031 Posts
Mike showed me 3 different ways to break a teal. I rarely miss twice.

· Registered
234 Posts
I will be doing a book on all methods in my new book "Youth Coach the Future of Our Sport." This book will be dedicated to Jim Porter. Jim was a Level III student of mine many years ago. He had, I believe muscular Dystrophy or MD. Jim was finally confined to a wheelchair but He was still able to teach and created one of the best youth programs in the country. He was also elected to the NSCA HOF a few years ago. I always was always very proud of Jim and even a little envious of him. The student made the HOF but the teacher never did and probably never will. LOL (I know I probably misspelled Dystrohy) sometimes I can't get close enough for spellcheck to fix it..LOL)

Mike McAlpine

Don, Please had some more of Jim's accomplishments!!!!!!!

Thanks,

Mike
Mike
I like and use method #2.

Jim had ALS and was given 1 year to live. He defeated the odds and gave us 27 years. I believe it was his dedication to the youth shooting program that kept him going. Rather than list all of his accomplishments, for those that want to know all of them I would direct you to the socaltopguns.com website. We have had over 260 All Americans, 22 reach Masterclass, over 100 folks were certified as Level 1 and trained through the SCTG program just to name a few. Jim put character before shooting prowess and many of the youth that went through the SCTG program turned out to be fantastic adults. There is a spinoff program in Texas, Lone Star Select Shooters is based on Jim Porters program. SCTG continues today and is still turning out some really great shooters and people. I know I am a better person for having worked with Jim for 20 years. His legacy carries on. Thanks to Mike for having the courage to certify Jim as a Level III.

Don

1 - 20 of 23 Posts