Shotgun Forum banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

· Registered
679 Posts
Darn.....forgot again.
:(

I shot one of my favorite shoots......a club combo shoot. This combo was trap/skeet/5-stand.

Shot good a trap. Shot less than I should at skeet. Doggy bag at 5-stand.

Poor 5 -stand score took me way out of contention. Not to hard for some. One shooter ran 'em. Three shooters down 1, Other than one rabbit trap and one slightly raised trap, all the traps were on the ground and so all those targets were rising targets. Again, I guess I was shooting in front of those rising, and consequently slowing targets.

Get 'em next year.
Not in front, off the line.

Try to shoot those from behind (targets are in transition ,closer to the apex, sometimes it's hard to get a feel. Having a gun behind will show you where target goes and you will stay within the arch)

Eyes position is critical. Too close to the machine - misreading line/speed , too far - have to be precise with a setup

· Registered
679 Posts
Calpik,

I hate to disagree with you but my experience at trying a target at Apex can be a little tricky. Now, I have shot a lot of targets at Apex but occasionally I find that if I miss judge the Apex spot, the target may fall out from under my muzzle. If I miss the Apex spot and shoot it a little fast I shoot under it.

Please don't take offence to my remarks but I don't teach my students to shoot a target at Apex. I want the to let the target be under power (Spring or Gravity) so I can identify the actual direction it is going.

Mike McAlpine

Let me add this. If you can consistently break a target at Apex, by all means do so. Always do what works for you. That is a good rule to shoot by.
We're on the same page. Wording/english is bad.

What I was trying g to say: Don't shoot targets at the apex, if you do by some reason - try to approach it from behind)

· Registered
85 Posts
Note to self #3....use less choke.

Those targets look like they are out there pretty far so I've been using mod/IM on them and at a similar 5-stand. Not doing good.

Oddly I was there one day and my only gun was an 1100 skeet gun. I used it. Done good. Much better than usual. Gotta try less choke.
How do you feel about a light mod. Great choke.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts