Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 1894 Posts

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
{hs# good morning Huglus!
Having some of that delicious java this morning from Trianon coffee shop here in Austin\Westlake.
I love coffee but it's hard on my system so i can only have it a couple of times a week -usually followed by a pill for my Hiatial hernia :) Anyway i like a good NFL or (non fat latte) but at home i do the cold filtered "Toddy" coffee brewing system (let me know if you are interested). they claim it's 80% less acidic -i don't agree with that but it is smoother and easier on my constitution. I use HEB's Houston blend coffee -kind of taste a bit like coconut. I take my regular coffee with a bit of milk and sugar and cinnamon.
I know you guys love a cup - how do you take your cup of Joe??
:?:

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
DogWontHUNT said:
{hs#
Strong, rich flavor, and BLACK!

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jer likes it it like my dad :) that's a man's cup!

·
Registered
22,107 Posts
Eight O'clock 100% Columbian, with a splash of hazlenut cream. :D

cdb

·
Registered
517 Posts
DWH, sorry to hear about your GI troubles.
jer901, +1. I used to put milk or cream but at work all they had was that horrid powder "creamer" stuff. Couldn't handle it so I had to retrain my tongue for straight up black, now I can't hardly drink it any other way. I recently tried going cold turkey and boy was my head pounding for some days...it was an unsuccessful attempt...

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After I have a goodly amount of Coffee i want to:
Start a band again
plan more parties
Put out out new topics on Huglu :)
Plan a sporting clay outing.
However it is hell on my SC shooting -i tend to shoot too fast!
:)

·
Registered
81 Posts
I like my coffee strong, (wife uses 1 cup of Maxwell House Colombian grounds for a pot of coffee and it's not strong enough) black and drink about 2 pots a day. If I could I'd have an IV coffee drip at night! LOL

·
Registered
904 Posts
"Steaming cup of morning purgative. Ponderous white chipped cup with the sandy rim. Spectra winking, pinlets of oil atop impotable tarleachings. He brimmed the cup with cream.... He sipped the coffee."

Cormac McCarthy has a penchant for finding new ways to describe coffee, but I have a feeling Suttree and I could have shared a cup any time...

I like a dark roast brewed strong with just a swirl of cream or non-fat. But I still use that plain old, stained cup my dad had sitting on the loading bench when I was growing up.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I do love some Cormac Mcarthy -here is a sentence that i recall from Blood Meridian:

"They were irregulars fighting in Monterrey -in the streets in underwear and rags. They fired up into the hills. The cannonballs were solid copper and came loping through the grass like runaway suns."

That is a paraphrase cause i cannot recall the exact quote :)

Cormac has a way of writing that is like painting with words. Of course his stories are punctuated by moments of sudden surprising violence as well as beauty.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
jer901 said:
DogWontHUNT said:
{hs#
Strong, rich flavor, and BLACK!
+1. Sorry to hear it DWH...

I am fortunate. I drink 2 - 3 POTS... a day... I used to drink 1-2 pots and 2-4 liters of Diet coke...

Now... it's Coffee or water.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
HA HA -that how they do it in Tennessee Daniel??
:lol:

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
I like to try various blends and only buy beans to grind myself. Right now I'm on Starbuck's Pike Place Roast, but I like some of the 8'Oclock Coffee blends and a variety of others. If you have a Safeway near, some of their store brand blends are good if you can find just the beans.

I prefer it steeped a bit like tea for richer flavor, but hard to find a coffee maker for a reasonable price that will hold the water in the basket for a bit before dumping it into the pot. My sister has one that she got at Bed Bath & Beyond but it cost her almost $300. If I'm really in the mood I will use a tea ball but mostly just brew it in a cheap single cup brewer. At least it's a fresh brew for every cup. But that makes the coffee that much more important. :lol:

I can go just a single cup in a day, or a whole pot through the day - habit developed in the Air Force. I used to have a permanent crook in my index finger from holding a coffee cup. Seems there was always a coffee pot in the day room. I just love the stuff - and I'm fortunate that it neither upsets my system or keeps me awake. I can have a cup right before bedtime and it has no effect on my sleep.

The only time ANYTHING goes into a good cup of coffee is when I am in New Orleans. If you've ever been there, you know what I mean.

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
IheartShotguns said:
jer901, if you like the grounds to be in contact with the hot water for a spell of time then I heartily recommend a french press. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_ ... s%20coffee
Yes I keep meaning to get one and just never get around to it I guess. Both of my sisters have them and use them and they do indeed make great coffee. Need to get off my lazy butt I guess. Thanks for reminding me :D

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have never tried one of those fancy French press items but i do find them intriguing.
Here is the Toddy system i normally use:
http://www.amazon.com/Toddy-Coffee-Make ... ddy+coffee

It is pretty light -defintley not a strong cup- my dad disliked it! :) He is old school. For me it works nice because it is easy on my old abused belly. :) The coffee since it is not burned out of the bean has a much smoother-lighter taste. You can keep the coffee in its concentrated state in the fridge for two weeks and create a cup that is as strong as you like.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Funny you bring this topic up. I'm having my second cup of coffee now, Kona(Arthur Farms from Target), black with a little vodka and kaluha, I also love it with Irish Whiskey the best. Gives me that second pick me up in the afternoon. Tried all kinds but this brand tastes the best in my coffee maker. When on the road I like an Americano black from Starbucks. One of these days I want to try the french coffee press. Hey guys give this a try, put a little tequila, a good one not that queervo ****, in your coffee either black or with cream.

·
Banned
30,310 Posts
I like Yuban Original, a half cup to make a Bunn coffeepot full, and I like it constantly.

I'll drink and like Maxwell House, Folger's, Eight O Clock, even the bargain store brands, but they must be fresh. Stale coffee is bad,,,,but I suppose it would beat not having any coffee at all.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
I used to drink a lot of coffee, and ground my own beans, etc. These days, I'm primarily a tea drinker. So not a lot to add to the discussion - but I still like a good cup of coffee, black, occasionally :wink: .

1 - 20 of 1894 Posts