Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am asking for opinions. Please, Let's not get into the war of the words.

Has the cold weather negatively infuenced your skeet scores? If so, why do think the issue(s) ma be.

If the cold weather has not been a negative influence please tell me why not.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
It's been pretty mild around here, but I do think my scores tend slightly lower in the winter for three reasons: bulkier clothing and gloves, tighter muscles and joints (this gets worse every year) and there seem to be more gusty, windy days in the winter.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Mostly my scores are affected by wind...cold is a factor as well. Your muscles and all are tighter and you have more layers like STL said. I dont think the cold has to do with how the clays fly tho.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I shot my first 25(since I returned from a 40 year layoff) in the bitter cold a couple of weeks ago. I think I was concentrating on the cold instead of worrying about smoking targets.
Richard :lol:

·
Registered
780 Posts
I have noticed a tendency to not get my face down on the gun when it is very cold. I suppose 'cause it may be a little numb and can't get the same feel as when it is warm. Gloves don't seem to bother me too much anymore but I don't care for the extra bulk of a shooting coat, it hasn't seemed to cost me too many targets though.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
I shoot poorly in the cold because I don't like clothing that limits my mobility when I shoot so I don't usually dress appropriately. When I get cold I tense up and my reaction time is terrible. Now I only shoot outside when it's fairly warm and pistols indoors through the winter.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Here's the view from the other pole:

November, December, January, February--are the best months to shoot the best scores!!!!

No steamy humidy, no sweat dripping across my face....but we are in Houston and everthing is kinda upside down here.

Happy shooting 8)

·
Registered
4,642 Posts
One of the fellows I shoot with has tracked his personal progress for years. He claims that the cold and extra clothing cost him an average of 7 birds per 100. I don't know if I go that far, but indications are that the cold is costing me 3-4 birds per 100. I believe it's the extra clothing. Just my 2 cents.

Frank

·
Registered
112 Posts
Frank's opinion and mine are the same. Expect extra lost birds in cold weather. I guess some folks in Texas don't shoot in really cold weather or snow storms. Heck, in south Texas the skeet and trap fields are nearly empty when the temperature drops below 40f. North country night skeet league in winter is fun. Especially when the wind and cold make your eyes tear up and you have icicles on your beard.

Go Spurs Go!

Keep your stick on the ice,

Bob

·
Registered
109 Posts
Don't go out to shoot in the cold with the additude that "you're going to drop at least 3-4 birds because it is cold"... it will be a self fulfilling proficy! I shoot SC in Wisconsin... it can easily be in the teen's this time of year and I dress accordingly. But I always THINK I'm going to put up my best score each time. A cold, crisp day sort of sharpens the eye don't you think? Anyway, last weekend I shot a 47/50.... but, of course, the temp. was only in the 20's. Go out in the cold and start expecting to do better... you'll shoot better!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Some days the cold seems to improve my trap scores. Now I mean 40F, not truly cold. But cold enough for two thin layers and a fleece jacket. The fleece is what I believe is helping me. It softens recoil a bunch and creates a longer length of pull.

Maybe a better pad and a longer length-of-pull would do wonders in the summer.

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
The cold will affect my scores. My main reason is because I have on so many clothes trying to stay warm. It effects my mobility an LOP. Someone told me the other day that I looked like the Michelin tire man I had so many clothes on. :lol:

·
Registered
995 Posts
Years ago I read an article by a Trap Hall of Famer who said he had his trap gun fitted with multiple recoil pads and spacers. As it got colder, he kept switching to thinner pads/spacers to compensate for the extra layers of clothing. Then come spring, he would go to thicker pads/spacers as the weather warmed up. He felt it was very important to keep the cheek to stock position the same for consistant shooting. V/R TonyG

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.