Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad has a Colt 12 gauge pump action shotgun and i am looking for one also. i have not been able to find any info at all on Colt 12 ***** pump shotguns anywhere. there is a stamp on the barrel of my dad's that says it was made in france for colt please help. send any info to [email protected]
thank you.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Too bad you weren't looking 1/2 year ago. Great Northern off Tudar in Anchorage had one for $150. It was in nice shape too. Look in the Blue Book for info. Says something about a Franchi frame and being built by Kodiak and Montgomery Wards. They had good to say about Kodiak.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I believe these guns were made for Colt by Manufrance. I bought one in 1968 marked "LaSalle". The only markings on these guns seem to be on the barrel. Mine was originally a 20" cylinder barrel with an extended magazine. Some years later I bought a 26" Imp/cyl barrel from Numrich along with a magazne cap. This barrel was marked "Colt' PT.FA. MFG Hatford CT.USA". I later bought a 28" full barrel from Numrich marked "The Marlin Firearms Company". Firearms International imported the LaSalle and the buttplate on my gun is marked as such. I believe these guns were also marketed under the name Kodiak. Marlin had at least two grades of the gun, and if you watch gunbroker.com they pop up from time to time. They are not expensive. I've been happy with mine--it fits me well, the action is smooth, the gun is light, and recoil isn't too bad considering how light the gun is. Good hunting and good luck.

·
Registered
536 Posts
GM & BG, There's a Marlin pump on gunbroker that the seller gives a bit of manufacturing history for. This is not to say that he is correct, but it makes sense. He claims that Manufrance made the gun for Marlin and Marlin barreled them. This would seem to support the "USA" marking on both the Colt and Marlin barrels that I have. Also, the Marlin barrel is considerably thicker than the Colt, and not just at the muzzle. Other companies have done this in the past, so it's feasible, at least.
Good hunting and good luck.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Didn't H&R import the same gun under their label too? If I remember correctly, that shotgun was made in France and imported under Colt, H&R, Marlin, LaSalle, and a few others.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Yes, H&R was yet another of the companies marketing this gun. Must be quite a few of them in closets and gunracks across the country. Good hunting and good luck.

·
Registered
536 Posts
goldminer, If you go to gunbroker.com and click on firearms/shotguns/pump/marlin, you will see two pumps like your dad's. One is a MkII, with better wood and a "buy now" price of $219. If you go on ebay they have a Colt barrel for the gun (current bid $9.99 and reserve not met). I would say the Colt barrel will go for less than $50. So, you could have a Colt and a Marlin shotgun for under $300. BTW, the barrel on ebay is a 26" Impcyl and the barrel on the Marlin is 28" mod. Good hunting and good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts