Shotgun Forum banner
181 - 200 of 217 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
I do try hard to "check my work" before posting, but still often need to go back and make corrections. There's no edit button?
On another forum, I noticed the edit button only appears for a few minutes. On another, it's there forever. I like (need) the forever option.

·
Registered
24,354 Posts
Those dots are also in the heading area if you want to edit that as well

·
Administrator
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #184 ·
I do try hard to "check my work" before posting, but still often need to go back and make corrections. There's no edit button?
On another forum, I noticed the edit button only appears for a few minutes. On another, it's there forever. I like (need) the forever option.
Click on the 3 vertical dots to the far right of the timestamp. Select “Edit”.

Members have unlimited editing of new posts for the first 24 hours after posting. Up to 10 existing posts (older than 24 hours) may be edited per week. More editing will be allowed as each of those 10 edits expires every 7 days.

- Cricket

·
Administrator
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #185 ·
Setting Your Location

Click on your avatar, near the upper right-hand corner of the site. Select account settings from the drop-down menu.

On the account settings page, scroll down to location.

As you start typing your city, it will offer you choices that appear in the drop-down menu. Click to select the one that displays your location.

If you prefer to only display your state, simply type your state, and then click on it in the drop-down menu. Click Save at the bottom when you are done.

- Cricket

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Is it possible to hide the politics forum so i don't see posts from it when i click on 'new'? I already know the answers and don't need an echo chamber in the middle of my favorite hobby.

·
Administrator
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #187 ·
Is it possible to hide the politics forum so i don't see posts from it when i click on 'new'? I already know the answers and don't need an echo chamber in the middle of my favorite hobby.
We one day hope to have an option to block a forum section and/or thread.

For now, we do have a bit of a workaround if it is important to you.

How To Filter New Posts To Only Display Specific Section(s)

You can accomplish this by setting a custom default filter on the new posts page.

Step 1 Navigate to the specific forum you want to focus on and click "Follow Forum".

Step 2 From the navigation, near the upper right-hand corner, click on NEW.

This will open a new page of new posts for you. On the new page, click on filters.

Now you can adjust the filters to work for your personal preferences, such as the example above, and save it as the default.

Make sure to click the "filter" button to save it, at the bottom.

- Cricket

·
Registered
463 Posts
The intention of that rule is to simply keep those that might quote any part of the message from altering clarifying the intent or meaning of the original. Changing one or more words can make the message intent completely reverse.
I encourage for someone to quote a part of the post as long as the original intent remains intact. If formatting of the quote is changed to provide emphasis or clarity, that will be fine.
So the FIFY (fixed it for you) option is ok if we do it like above?

·
Administrator
23,244 Posts
So the FIFY (fixed it for you) option is ok if we do it like above?
Nope, that is not a viable option. If you want to state your opinion as to how the quote should be, it will be fine to do it outside the quote in your own words.
Such as, "It's my opinion that you should have posted (Your suggested content goes here) rather than what you did post. It makes more sense to me and possibly others in that manner."
It's my opinion that your suggested method is rude and derogatory to the OP, whether you intended for it to be or not. If I am old fashioned, so be it!
Everyone should read this periodically to refresh their memory.

Curly

Reactions: CMGAdmin

·
Registered
33 Posts
Sorry if I have missed this information, but I cannot figure out how to PM someone on this new format.

·
Administrator
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #192 ·
Sorry if I have missed this information, but I cannot figure out how to PM someone on this new format.
How To Find Conversations (Private Messages)

From the navigation, near the upper right-hand corner, click on your avatar to open the drop-down menu and select “conversations”.

- Cricket

·
Registered
33 Posts
I realize I am not computer savvy, but what do I do after clicking conversation? Nothing that I see prompts me as to what to do next.

Sorry, I figured it out. I didn't realize "conversation" meant PM

·
Administrator
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #194 ·
There are a few other places you can click to start a private conversation (message) with a member. :)

If you are on their profile, you can click on "Start conversation".
Font Screenshot Terrestrial plant Magenta Science

If you are in a thread, you can hover over their avatar with your cursor, and more information will pop up. Click on "Message".
Colorfulness Font Rectangle Technology Screenshot

- Cricket

·
Registered
109 Posts
I like the new format.
Much easier for my old eyes than the old forum.
I liked the "new" feature as well.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
I see this forum now has Reactions, the "like" facebook esque, popularity contest crap. Some forums have an opt out in the USER CP. Where is it located on this forum?

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
When I am reading a post I will automatically click and drag to highlight a key point, or mark progress in a post. In this forum software, that action is disrupted because a balloon pops up that offers Quote/Reply. How can that be disabled?

·
Administrator
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #198 ·
I see this forum now has Reactions, the "like" facebook esque, popularity contest crap. Some forums have an opt out in the USER CP. Where is it located on this forum?
There is no opt-out button. You can simply choose not to use it, if you wish.

When I am reading a post I will automatically click and drag to highlight a key point, or mark progress in a post. In this forum software, that action is disrupted because a balloon pops up that offers Quote/Reply. How can that be disabled?
Unfortunately, that is part of the quote feature, and cannot be disabled.

- Cricket

·
Registered
588 Posts
I know I can add forums to my favorites so they appear, but anyway to block the politics forum? It's useless ranting, bickering, BS unrelated to shotguns (and many times reality). I really don't know why these forums have a politics garbage pile anyway.... I don't read these but don't even care to see the topic thread either.

Also, how to view the active and unanswered posts like in the old forum?

Thanks!

·
Administrator
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #200 ·
Also, how to view the active and unanswered posts like in the old forum?
Click On NEW in the upper right-hand corner of the site. You will see tabs to click.
Product Rectangle Font Screenshot Technology

• Popular =Active Posts
  • Looking for Replies = Unanswered Posts
We one day hope to have an option to block a forum section and/or thread.

For now, we do have a bit of a workaround if it is important to you.

How To Filter New Posts To Only Display Specific Section(s)

You can accomplish this by setting a custom default filter on the new posts page.

Step 1 Navigate to the specific forum you want to focus on and click "Follow Forum".

Step 2 From the navigation, near the upper right-hand corner, click on NEW.

This will open a new page of new posts for you. On the new page, click on filters.

Now you can adjust the filters to work for your personal preferences, such as the example above and save it as the default.

Make sure to click the "filter" button to save it, at the bottom.

- Cricket

181 - 200 of 217 Posts