Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't reloaded for the past year or so, but was doing a lot up until then. With the price of components going up, is it still about a wash regarding price vs. buying factory shells? Or is it cheaper to buy factory shells now? I mean good factory shells?

What are you paying for shot?

Thanks

Curt

If this has been discussed to death I'm sorry!

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
It wasn't cheaper to reload for about 1 year ago to about 3 months ago. Then factory prices went up and made reloading economical. Depending on the magnitude of the latest lead shock, it will either continue to be profitable for probably 3 months or it will be profitable for many years to come. Unless you shoot a lot or already have a reloader, I'd stay out untill lead goes under $1 a pound again. The last I payed for shot was $28, but that was in may. Good factory shells? As in AA's, STS's? Or Gun Clubs? Probably worthwhile to buy GC's right now, but still a savings to reload over AA's or STS's.

BT

·
Registered
574 Posts
Even with shot at 50$ for a 25lb sack I'm loading for about 3$ a box of 12 gauges. I think it's worth it since I can't find the skeet loads that I want in a factory shell.

·
Registered
937 Posts
http://www.trapshooters.com/rlcalcadv.htm

http://www.recobstargetshop.com/
http://conniescomponents.com/

I buy in bulk, but not to the level of some, and you have shipping and hazmat fees to consider on the powder and primers.

Shot 100 lbs
Powder 8lb
Primers 5000
Wads 5000

On 12ga. and 20ga. shells I save around $2.00 to $2.50 a box compared to comparable premium shells at $6.50. You might be able to save on promo 100 shell value pack prices only if they are over $18 to break even, but I don't load them.

I save around $6.00 to $6.50 per box on 28 ga. shells compared to factory premium shells at $9.97.

EMaki

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great info! Thank you very much. I have been reloading for quite a while and just took the last year off. Nothing beats reloading the exact recipe you want to shoot with clean powder and low recoil. I love it.... Just wanted to make sure the difference in price vs. buying factory wasn't to out of whack.

Thanks,

Curt

·
Registered
492 Posts
There are ZERO bargains locally on components. So I have to have everything but shot shipped in from Connies or Recobs. Unfortunately I picked a lousy time to get back into the shotgun sports again; exactly when components go through the roof.

I've been able to buy TRAP shells here and there , decent Fed Top guns or the Federal Value Paks of 100 for on average $4 a box or a bit less. With shot locally at $48-$50+ a bag I can't load them for $4 a box and don't want to dig into my small supply of $30 or less a bag shot either. I'm saving that for my 20 , 28 and 410 skeet loads.

The big deal is IF You can get Your components cheap enough. Shipping and haz mat fees all add up. Sometimes a guy can find screaming deals at some Gun Clubs ,especially on shot. I think it all boils down to what You have to pay for components.

To muddy the waters a bit more...some areas still have great prices on QUALITY factories, like $4 a box STS and WW AA's in 12 and 20. I've seen RIO's and Kemens shown for $40 a flat and LESS a few places too. IF I had prices like that, I'd stock up and never spend time reloading again.

FN in MT

·
Registered
500 Posts
I just cleaned out a local store here in Wisconsin that was offering a 10% discount on last year's prices on all ammo. They had value packs (4 boxes) Winchester target & game loads in 20 ga on sale for $16.19 or about $4.00 per box. I like these loads because they have 8-point crimps that allow for reloading. Some big box stores don't pay very close attention to their ammo inventories and pricing; there are deals to be had, but not for long! As for components, you'll need to shop around and buy in large quantities to reduce your reloading expense. I doubt you'll ever see lead below $30.00 a bag again.
90+ % of lead goes into car batteries and it will take a major recession in China and India to cut worldwide demand.

JJ

·
Registered
511 Posts
Junkers88 said:
Even with shot at 50$ for a 25lb sack I'm loading for about 3$ a box of 12 gauges. I think it's worth it since I can't find the skeet loads that I want in a factory shell.
sorry, I really dont see how...

3/4 ounce at 50.00 per sack = 533 shells = .09 in lead.

cheap Primers at 95.00 / 5 k = .02

cheap clone wads at 75.00 / 5 k = .015

cheap promo 16.5 gn = 425 shells @ 10/ lb = .023

That equals 14.8 cents per shell or 3.70 / box and thats assuming basically zero shipping or hazmat fees.

Add in approx. 50.00 in shipping and haz mat your up to 4.00 per box... for the extra 25 cents per box, I'd rather shoot 1-1/8 ounce federal vaule packs..

·
Administrator
23,249 Posts
malefacter said:
it doesn't matter what you reload you always end up spending more money when you reload.
Only because you shoot more!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Curly-Nohair said:
malefacter said:
it doesn't matter what you reload you always end up spending more money when you reload.
Only because you shoot more!
for the most part thats true but then there is the tinkering you do you know ( I wonder if my gun will pattern better if i use this wad) but i dont think its as bad as with a shotgun as it is with a rifle, you should see how many different kinds of bullets iv gone threw to find the one that shoots the best in my 223.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Curt by good shells I spose you mean Remington STS / Nitro 27 or Federal Gold Medal's and the like.

Both of those are now in the $9 per box and up range.

You can roll your own for less than $5 with current shot and other componenet prices, depending on your buying power

Promotional loads like Estates and import ammo is now in the $7 per box range to give you additional perspective

·
Registered
68 Posts
GCBluerock said:
Curt by good shells I spose you mean Remington STS / Nitro 27 or Federal Gold Medal's and the like.

You can roll your own for less than $5 with current shot and other componenet prices, depending on your buying power

Promotional loads like Estates and import ammo is now in the $7 per box range to give you additional perspective
One of the local clubs nearby has Winchester AA for $48 per flat, and RIOs for $40. I'd really like to get back into reloading, but it seems like the return, at this point in time, is pretty minimal. (And, actually negative for some time, considering the cost of the press, etc.) At the present component prices, it appears that it would be more for therapeutic reasons than cost savings.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Vic,

WHERE are You getting AA's for $48 a flat??? Club Member only price?? I'd buy all I could afford,same on the RIO's.

FN in MT

·
Administrator
23,249 Posts
vico512 said:
GCBluerock said:

One of the local clubs nearby has Winchester AA for $48 per flat, and RIOs for $40. I'd really like to get back into reloading, but it seems like the return, at this point in time, is pretty minimal. (And, actually negative for some time, considering the cost of the press, etc.) At the present component prices, it appears that it would be more for therapeutic reasons than cost savings.
Buy them up as it will be quite a while before they get back to that price. That is probably old stock and not repriced.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Yeah, it did sound almost too good, so I checked the current price. AAs are at $55, and RIOs are $40. Still pretty good, though.

It's a local club near Seattle and it's member-only prices.

·
Registered
4,383 Posts
I think those prices are a bit dated. The distributor price for RIOs today is about $47.50. AA and STS is about $57.60. If there is a bargain today, Gun Clubs are $45. These are bulk order prices by the pallet.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I presume your prices are correct. The club buys by the pallet load, and sells at cost, not replacement price. I better stock-up!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts