Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
29,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
CHICAGO - The long-standing ban on carrying concealed weapons in Illinois is over.

On Tuesday, a federal appeals court in Chicago tossed the state's ban on carrying concealed weapons, reports the Sun-Times. The court is giving the Illinois Legislature 180 days to craft a law legalizing concealed carry.

The 7th Circuit Court of Appeals ruled in two downstate Illinois cases that challenged the state's concealed weapons ban, according to the Sun-Times.

"We are disinclined to engage in another round of historical analysis to determine whether eighteenth-century America understood the Second Amendment to include a right to bear guns outside the home," wrote Judge Richard Posner in the court's majority opinion.

Capitol Fax has excerpted additional key parts of the opinion, including the portion where the court agrees to put a stay on the opinion for 180 as the legislature makes a new law that "will impose reasonable limitations, consistent with the public safety and the Second Amendment as interpreted in this opinion, on the carrying of guns in public."

Illinois is the last state to have a ban on carrying concealed weapons.

· Registered
76 Posts
This was pointed out to me today by a guy at work. He is a gun lover as well. I read some articles about it on the internet too.

All I have to say is... IT'S ABOUT TIME!

Hope it all works out!

· Registered
1,945 Posts
IL citizens should be very pleased by the recent 7th Circuit Court of Appeals decision.
BUT....We will see if an appeal is filed by Lisa Madigan soon enough.
I do not have any confidence in her or IL dems to look out for our rights. For good reason.

· Registered
564 Posts
Illinois carry will be so restrictive. Might not be able to carry outside of your car or on public transportation. They will make very inconvenient for civilians to carry.

At the end of the day, IMHO, any reduction in the murder rate in our states means a reduction in federal crime funding. Exactly what cops and politicians are really against.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

· Registered
29,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
bojo said:
Illinois carry will be so restrictive. Might not be able to carry outside of your car or on public transportation. They will make very inconvenient for civilians to carry.
You can read the bill yourself but of course you can carry outside of your car. More to the point, it is a "SHALL ISSUE" bill, not "MAY ISSUE."

It makes it more than inconvenient for the state to deny an app.

· Registered
224 Posts
I have heard from several people that if you hold an out of state ccw permit you are now allowed to have a concealed gun loaded in your car/truck. I have skimmed over the bill but could not find an article discussing that. Anyone know for sure and if so could you point me to the text so I can read it in black and white.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

· Registered
1,011 Posts
It would be great for a single mother, with a permit, to defend herself from a Richard Speck type. Make her a minority in a Chicago neighborhood and it would be even better, although I fear that it would go unnoticed in the news media.

· Registered
564 Posts
I agree with women who want to carry. They all should be carrying. But, the current trial in Florida means that if you have to take it out and use it, you may very likely rolling the dice for a 25 to life sentence.

Even though Illinois is a shall issue state...the politicians want a "shall defend yourself" in a long and very expensive "murder" trial.

Game over for concealed carry holders.

· Registered
1,011 Posts
Randy, I fear that singular media-driven events like what is happening in Florida are capable of having unintended effects everywhere. They are capable of modifying public opinion, often for the wrong reasons, but those opinions can be held fast.

I don't think that it would be unexpected, regardless of the verdict, for some states to revisit stand your ground provisions, particularly stand your ground in public places. I don't know if the Illinois law has protections for stand your ground in public places, I hope that it does. I live in Kentucky, and we have stand your ground both in public and private places, but force must be proportional to the threat. All laws are subject to the whims of elected officials, at least until the courts rule that the lawmakers have gone too far. Laws that exist but are unpopular get nibbled at the edges, gun control laws get nibbled at from one side, abortion laws get nibbled at from the other. The end result is that no law is immune from the court of public opinion.

· Registered
29,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
There is no constitutional right to concealed carry. If there was, there wouldn't be any states that could get away with "SHALL ISSUE." In 1987, there were 10 right to carry states. Now, there are 41 (42 including Illinois). The Federal "Assault Weapons Ban" has expired. Gun ownership is on a dramatic rise. NRA membership is at an all time high. Even hunting is on the increase, dramatically so, for the first time in decades.

Sure, there are always going to be issues . . . it has always been that way. Apparently, the Zimmerman verdict is in just now, so let's see if justice worked, or not.

· Registered
564 Posts
Now stay tuned for Al Sharpton's and Jesse Jackson's point of view.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.