Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading/searching the forums for info regarding pump action shotguns. I alrwady have 391 Urika sporting for trap shooting now I'm looking for a pump action shotgun. The prices range from $300 to about $700 or so and the choices are Winchester, Browning, Remington, Benelli. It has to be 28" barrel and 3" chamber. What should I look for in terms or reliability, durability, quality, fit finish.
Or is it a matter of preference when it comes to pumps.
Thanks

Paul

·
Banned
2,771 Posts
For less than $250 you can buy a Remington 870 Express, a Winchester 1300 Ranger, or a Mossberg 500. I listed them in the order of my preference.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Paul, 300-700 is quite a range budgetwise and covers a lot of models. Most of the name brand pumps will do well and you should also consider how well a particular model fits you and what you prefer in the way of aesthetics. This will likely winnow the field a bit as to what models you want to consider. Any of the names you listed are good, reliable pumps so take your pick with respect to mechanical integrity though there are some differences in finish and wood as price goes from low - high end of the cost range. 3" chamber is pretty much standard nowadays and most models come in 26 or 28" barrels.

You may also want to consider a used Ithaca even though Ithaca Co. is defunct. I used an Ithaca as a youngster and my dad still uses it. 40+ years as a "farm gun" and that thing still shucks shells as smooth as silk and is reliable as the sun rising in the east. There is also something slick about the bottom eject.

Good luck in making your selection.

·
Registered
10,502 Posts
I would recommend the Browning BPS or the Mossberg M500 Crown.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
As Mountainview stated, you've got quite a price range... one that would even allow you to look at some pretty darn nice Model 12 Winchesters.

If you're looking for a "drag it through the swamps and hump the brush" shotgun, my preference would be the 870 Express. You ain't gonna hurt it, and a scratch or a ding won't cause you to have a heart attack.

·
Registered
143 Posts
870, and I consider myself a winchester fan when it comes other types of firearms. But for a pump, give me an 870.

·
Registered
9,193 Posts
mossberg 500..........need i say more?

·
Registered
536 Posts
Paulinski, Some pretty good advice so far. Personally, I'm a polished blued-steel and walnut man. The synthetic stocks feel dead to me and are certainly no joy to hold. If you occasionally use your shotgun as an oar or walking stick though, synthetic might be the way to go. They certainly have a utilitarian purpose. The younger guys seem to go for them, which is good, since it keeps the industry moving. If you make a decision between synthetic/birch and walnut it will, as someone else suggested, "winnow" the field considerably. I'd go with a good used Ithaca as was mentioned. You'll have a great gun and a piece of American firearms history. Good hunting and good luck.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have narrowed it down to

- Browning BPS Huner 28" Barrel 3" Chamber

- Remington 870 Wingmaster 28" Barrel 3" Chamber

What do you think.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Paulinski said:
I have narrowed it down to

- Browning BPS Huner 28" Barrel 3" Chamber

- Remington 870 Wingmaster 28" Barrel 3" Chamber

What do you think.
Remington® is a heck of a lot easier to disassemble & clean after a hard hunt in the mud & muck. A Mossberg 500, 535, or 835 just as easy to disassemble;is inexpensive, & built like a tank!

·
Registered
474 Posts
Paulinski,

Seeing how you already have a good solid clay target gun, I assume this pump will be used mostly for hunting. Because of that I would go with the BPS. The internals are more protected from debris because of the solid sided reciever, and it ejects the shells downward. The downward ejection is a plus anytime you are in real close proximity to other hunters, in say a duck blind or another similar situation.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
IMHO, a used Ithaca 37 in good shape would give you twice the gun for half the price of the BPS. HuntNShoot nailed it precisely earlier in this string: you won't find a smoother working example of real blued steel and walnut than the Ithaca. My 1949 37 in 16 gauge gets twice the workout of my 12 ga Wingmaster.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I did a lot of research before I bought my first pump (Mossberg 535). What I came up with was that you need to see what feels right, or fits right. I shouldered a lot of guns before deciding on the Mossberg. I had it set in my mind that I wanted a Rem 870 Express, but after I shouldered them a bunch of times, along with others, the Mossberg felt right to me. It may not feel right to you, but it did to me. Go shoulder a few, I prefer Scheel's becasue you can pick up all the new and used guns you want and shoulder them without having to stand there at the counter.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts