Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yep...Browning, Beretta, or Benelli? That is the question.

I want a new 12ga autoloader with 26" barrel and some kind of durable finish to handle the rigors of being an "everything" type of gun, including dog training (gun on ground often).

This gun would be used primarily for pheasant hunting, but the occassional trip to the goose pit may happen as well. Weight is important as it will be mainly used for upland...the lighter the better.

I believe a 3" gun would be sufficient, but would host the idea of a 3 1/2". My waterfouling would be limited to probably 2 or 3 hunts/year at best.

By the way, I've handled, not shot, the Beretta Urika 2, Benelli M2, and the Browning Gold and all fit and feel pretty good to me.

What are the pros and cons of any given operating system that would make them fit my needs best? All opinions are welcome, of course.

·
Registered
13,098 Posts
Can't really go wrong with an auto loader for any of these manufactures. A 26" barrel is a pretty good choice for all around use in most auto loaders. Models that have a rotary bolt face makes the gun longer in overall length.

What are the pros and cons of any given operating system that would make them fit my needs best? All opinions are welcome, of course.
http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=127212

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Three semi auto come to mind that might work well for you.

1. Benelli Ultralight- Very light and very good upland gun though chambered for three inch shells if neccesary.
2. Benelli Montefeltro- excellent upland gun, good balance, easy handling, great upland or can be used in the goose pit.
Both of these are inertia driven and easy to clean as well.

3. Beretta AL391- great all around semi auto, good fit and balance, gas operated, super soft to shoot, reliable. Will take a little longer to clean but will go a long time between cleanings.

You can't go wrong with any of these B guns
Good luck :!: :lol:

·
Registered
951 Posts
I have had 3 Benelli's and 2 Beretta extreema 2's. I can tell you that I do not like the Benelli as well as the Beretta's. I kept trying to give Benelli a chance and every one of them got worse. I know people who have them and love them. I just did not like them. My last Extreems has the kick off and is that something special. Couple that with being a gas operated gun and there is little to no recoil with heavier loads. I think all the B guns are good. For wright now I am a Beretta fan.

·
Registered
550 Posts
There is a reason why the Duck Commander and his crew use Benelli's now. Sure they may get paid but if the Browning was all that which they were getting paid too they would have stayed even for less money if the gun was better.

They chose Benelli. As they say they cannot tolerate a gun that doesn't work. Benelli's work in ANY condition. There finish is outstanding and the nice rubber comb pad is nice on the Ol' cheek.

Anyway too each his own. Beretta's are nice, Brownings are nice. I like the rubber comb, easy cleaning and easy to take apart and fix in the field because there are less parts. A Benelli like SBEII and M2 can take extensions. The top of the SBEII's reciever is removable to get into the gun unlike MANY other models where the receiver area is one piece.

The Ultralight is just that Ultralight and fun to shoot. The SS is an awesome clay gun, the grip tight ont the Cordoba is awesome in the wet. Wood stocks and forends can dent and scratches in the finish can allow water to soak into the wood.

Personally the SBEII because it is a mud bogging, cotton mouth shooting, canoe paddling duck killing machine.

CR

·
Registered
98 Posts
"Sure they may get paid but if the Browning was all that which they were getting paid too they would have stayed even for less money if the gun was better. "

:roll: And, you know this how?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts