Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reloading with a MEC Sizemaster for about a year now and would like to upgrade to a progressive press to speed things up a bit. I reload only 12 gauge at this time for trap, sporting clays and 5 stand (mostly 1oz, 17.3g of Clays. ~1150fps). I'm considering the MEC 9000G or Grabber simply because I like my Sizemaster, but would really like recommendations from others. I know RCBS, Ponsness Warrren, Dillon and others make progressives. I would like to buy a good progressive that will last and perform well, but of course would like to keep the price down if possible (another reason to consider MEC). That said, if PW or another is really a lot better and a better value in the long run, I would spring for it. I estimate that I shoot somewhere between 6-9k rounds per year. I just don't have the time to spend however to reload on a single staage when it takes 5 pulls for 1 shell.

Recommendations?

Thanks much,

·
Administrator
23,246 Posts
I like the Mec 9000GN, I have 4 and have learned them moderately well. To quote another " You can buy presses that cost more, but the shells that you get off of them will not be a bit better than those off of the Mec." Well, it is close to what he said anyway. :D

·
Registered
225 Posts
Well everyone has their opinion and you really have to wade through everything.. I use a Hornady 366 and I am very pleased with it. I have the 12ga with the 20ga conversion kit. I only reload 20ga, easier on the shoulder, but got a deal on the whole thing for $350 and if I decide to sell it I should recoup my cost on it.

Reading these forums I would say the vast majority of people use the MEC9000 line.

Hub

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
Curly-Nohair said:
I like the Mec 9000GN, I have 4 and have learned them moderately well. To quote another " You can buy presses that cost more, but the shells that you get off of them will not be a bit better than those off of the Mec." Well, it is close to what he said anyway. :D
I also have 4 of the 9000's an like them all for reloading, except for the finicky .410. I should have listened to the crotchy old man that you're referring to when he said to "reload the .410's on a Grabber".

Wonder if the old cuss will ever be back. I miss him an his tirades......... :lol:

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
EyeMissum said:
Curly-Nohair said:
I also have 4 of the 9000's an like them all for reloading, except for the finicky .410. I should have listened to the crotchy old man that you're referring to when he said to "reload the .410's on a Grabber".

Wonder if the old cuss will ever be back. I miss him an his tirades......... :lol:
I'm one that didn't listen to him... :D ... (Hmm, imagine that!) Bought the 9000gn for 410, and couldn't be happier. Had a few small problems, but nothing that didn't turn out to be an easy fix once i understood the machine better. Have loaded around 8000 shells on it since i got it, as 410 is about all I shoot if I can help it. I just love the little bugger. I have 2 more 9000's, but the 410 is my favorite. I'm hoping to get my hands on a used 9000gn and start loading 7/8's oz 12g when i get the chance.

best,
bd

·
Administrator
23,246 Posts
bel_dad said:
[quote="EyeMissumI also have 4 of the 9000's an like them all for reloading, except for the finicky .410. I should have listened to the crotchy old man that you're referring to when he said to "reload the .410's on a Grabber".

I'm one that didn't listen to him... :D ... (Hmm, imagine that!) Bought the 9000gn for 410, and couldn't be happier. Had a few small problems, but nothing that didn't turn out to be an easy fix once i understood the machine better. Have loaded around 8000 shells on it since i got it, as 410 is about all I shoot if I can help it. I just love the little bugger. I have 2 more 9000's, but the 410 is my favorite. I'm hoping to get my hands on a used 9000gn and start loading 7/8's oz 12g when i get the chance.

best,
bd[/quote]
I bought a 410 9000GN and love it too. I really feel that they must have made some improvements in the shell transport area in a running change that was not noted anywhere. They did incorporate a finger to reduce lifting of the shell carrier when pulling the powder drop tube off of the primer protrusion inside of the hull.
Now with respect to those 7/8 12Ga. Jump on down to 3/4 and be amazed. Use the DR-XXL-1 pink in your Remington promo hulls. They also work for 7/8 easily.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Most here will recommend the MEC and truth be told it will give you the most bang for your buck. I had a 650 that churned out a pile of loads with nary a hiccup. I now have a PW and love it. I'm busy getting a Hornady 366 in 20 ga. running, and it looks like that's going to be a fine reloader too. Its a wonderful feeling watching those loaded shells piling up so fast :D. We wont talk about shot and power spills. You have to own a progressive to REALLY appreciate those!

Whatever you get, there are enough experts here to help you get up and running with a minimized learning curve.

John

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
R&R Rancher said:
.....:D. We wont talk about shot and power spills. You have to own a progressive to REALLY appreciate those!

Whatever you get, there are enough experts here to help you get up and running with a minimized learning curve.

John
Boy... are you right on the money with BOTH of those. I never would have had a good outcome loading, without the help of this forum!!!! (DL, Curly, Case, BP, Winders, Lowgun, MRP, et. al.,)

Curly... Think I will give 3/4 a try... I shoot 410 most of the time anyway, so that extra 1/4 would be pure heaven. :D

bd

·
Registered
951 Posts
I personally would not own a Mec so I guess if most on here would recommend them then I must have slapped them in the teeth. I have used the Dillon SL 900 and for the most part was ok but had some issues I did not like and could not fix. I have since been around a P/W 800+ and without caring what others say or think can honestly say it is as good as it gets. It drops the same drops every time and the shells always look like factory. They are also built like a tank.
Just my thoughts and good luck with your choice.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Checking the 2 websites...Mec & PW....I see now that the price difference between a 9000 and an 800+ is approx $200.00.

There was a time when the cost difference between the 2 was greater than that and the Mec loaders probably were the "best bang for the buck"...that's why so many are in use. However, IMHO...since Mec increased their prices a year or two or three ago...whenever it was.....I think they're now less of a "bang for the buck".

I've had Mec loaders...now have 4 PW 800's...and would never go back. And I suspect that holds true for many other PW owners. Yes...there's no question the Mecs crank out a decent shell. But if you ever had the chance to sit and load on a Mec....then move over and load on a PW....I think you'd see and appreciate the differences.

To me anyway...the PW loader is WELL worth the extra $200.00.

Good luck with your choice...whichever way you go.

·
Registered
910 Posts
funny but i have been thinking about going to a progressive too, i use a MEC 600jr right now and with shooting trap alot more then i thought i would it can't keep up. i was thinking maybe a primer feed would speed things up but not real sure? with the cost of making shells real close to buying them i am not sure buying another press is the way to go either???? but than i do like makeing my loads?

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
bel_dad said:
EyeMissum said:
Curly-Nohair said:

best,
bd
bd, its not that I don't like the .410 9000, its just the fact that I can sit down at the other 3 9000's an just start chunking the loaded shells out. The .410 is a bit on the finicky side in having to watch everything more closely, ie, primer drops, precrimps, shell rotations, etc. My .410 reloader is an older model with the chain activated primer feed. I haven't changed it to the new type feeder yet.

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
Don, Yep, I understand. The only time I have had primer problems was with a specific brand of primer. I only use Cheddite now, and never have to worry about primer feeds.

As I said in another thread, I sprung the collette some time back and have fixed it some, but I need to watch that the shell does drop all the way down. The machine for the longest time was just like the other machines, ran like a top, but after i sprung the collette, it does take more watching.

Yes, the 410 is more work, do a bit of this, a bit of that, much more than the bigger shells these days. I guess I have just excepted that fact, but i enjoy shooting it so much, and it saves me so much $$$. Don't know how i would be able to afford to shoot if it were not for the 410. Got the powder so cheep, and it's a miser on lead... I guess for me, it''s just worth the extra effort to run.

As far as the progressive, i wouldn't trade it for anything. Case was da'man on many ah thing, but I am very happy with the choice i made... MRP was the one who convinced me to give the 9000gn a chance in 410, and I'm very happy he did.

bd

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
I learned to load on a 600jr. moved to a grabber, and then to a PW 800+. I like the PW - especially in 12 ga - It flat out produces shells - great shells. If you are thinking of going to any subgauges - the 800+ is the way to go. If you're looking at only 12 gauge, either the 800+ or the 2000.

I put a front drop on mine, it takes me 10-12 minutes to drop a hundred shells into the bucket. At that rate it doesn't take long to load a couple flats.

The manual needs some help - most of the info is there- just not in a user fiendly format. I'd contact Jim "whiz" white at [email protected] or look him up over on trapshooters.com he'll set you up.

John

·
Registered
89 Posts
Loaded on a Sizemaster for 25 + years when only loading for hunting. When I took up ATA shooting I bought a PW 800+ from Whiz White. Great call. Great press, great service from Whiz and great value.

Like all machines, there is a learning curve and just as I did with the Mec, I spilled some shot and some powder and screwed up some hulls. Once the learning curve flattens out this press will put out flat after flat of great shells. The only adjustment I had to make was to raise the primer seater a bit. I do not have to readjust going from Rem to AA to Estates to Feds. Just use the right components and the shells look like factory.

The price of the product is long forgotten IF the quality is there; and it certainly is with a PW.

YMMV

Old Marine

·
Registered
473 Posts
I have loaded a lot on a grabber. i bought a rcbs grand about 4 years ago. I love it. It not as tiring to run as a mec
and the life time warranty is great.

·
Registered
926 Posts
EyeMissum said:
Curly-Nohair said:

Myself I had a 9000g for .410 and my partner wanted to load 3" at the time, when we found out that the 9000 wont do 3" we returned it and got a 650. and a super sizer. I have regreted it ever since. I have two 9000, one in 12 and the other in 20. I am sure there are better but with MEC being the standard, parts are more available and used machines are plenty. Just my .02 And for the record I have no idea which old cuss your talking about but I have yet to meet one that I didnt like!

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
With out commenting on which progressive, the spills issue is real. A good friend of mine got his hands on an old air hockey table. His 900 is set up is on that and it is the nuts for catching spills. Also keep a sieve handy for separating shot and powder. I continue to use 600s for three gauges. I would like for one of them to wear out. I will probably wear out first. I have used a 9000 and if the newer primer feed system really works they should be ok. But the older models with the old primer feed are a real pain. Any body interest in a used 600jr in 12 ga? Has about a 1/4 million miles on it but should be good for about 1/2 million more.

·
Registered
514 Posts
strut64 said:
Also keep a sieve handy for separating shot and powder. I continue to use 600s for three gauges.
Do you have a sieve that you suggest and a place to get one? I have thought about that one. Y'all are right the powder and shot spillage is almost comical at times :lol:

Back on topic - I have 2 PW800cvt's and they are great machines. A little quirky at times but awesome. If I was looking for new PW would be on the list but keep in mind you won't get the service from PW that you get from MEC. Fortunately, there are a few guys here that know these machines...I think in a prior life Dano actually assembled and designed PW presses :p

·
Registered
239 Posts
The sieve that works best for me is a plain old tea strainer. You can get one in housewares at Target for about $3.00. It is small enough that you can hold it over the powder hopper (On my P-Ws) and pour the mix in while giving it a gentle shake. Then just move to shot and pour in the remains.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts