Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see commercial survival kits come in a variety of containers and wanted to see what others thought. I'm talking about something that would go into a large pocket in a hunting jacket, not a pack of survival gear.

I would think that a square-ish metal tin (like an Altoids tin) or circular tin would be nearly perfect. I have an Altoids tin and seen the DIY kits people ave posted online, but looking at this you can only heat a few ounces of water at a time. A metal container itself can be used for signaling or used for cooking (melting snow/ice, sterilizing water, making chicken broth from bullion) where you can't do that very well with a Nalgene bottle or nylon carry pouch.

These caught my eye (scroll down to the empty tins):

http://campingsurvival.com/suremkit.html

It is larger, has more space than an Altoids tin and I would think the screw on lid would be more secure/watertight but still be compact enough to always carry in a small pack or large pocket.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
depending on what Im packing, I use empty bullet boxes (like from the bullets used in reloading) for things like tinder and firesteel and daypack first aid.
Then for things that absolutely cant get wet, I have a pelican 1020 case for the radio and phone.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Have you seen the cylindrical containers that Airborne cold tablets come in? They might make a nice small and waterproof container.

·
Premium Member
4,927 Posts
For some reason I can't see the picture that zuren1cs attached to his message, but I can't imagine anything that could reasonably be called an adequate survival kit that would fit in a container the size of an Altoids tin. Take a look at this website: http://www.outdoorsafe.com
I think you'll find a very compact and complete kit here, or some good ideas for your own.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
For things that can't get wet like fire tinder I have a small plastic can that originally held a roll of electrical tape. I have it jammed full of fire starter material, a couple of waterproof matches and a piece of match box striker. To seal it I wrapped it in duct tape (which will also burn good)

What do you guys use for your fire starter material? Right now I have a couple of very small round newspaper sections, some dryer lint (compacts real nice), some small dry twigs, a cotton ball soaked in hoppes, and dry grass crammed into the can I described above.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I used to have a survival kit packed into a plastic bullet box. It didn't hold everthing very well and wouldn't stay shut so I moved everything into a steel can with a friction fit top that contained some tea bags I bought one time. I like it better because the steel can could be used to carry or boil water, unlike the plastic bullet box. It holds more but is still easy to drop into a cargo pocket of jacket.

I'm using cotton balls smeared in petroleum jelly for fire tinder right now. I fit about four of them in a 35mm film canister.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
The guys that make the tube for the Mossberg "Just-in-Case" sell the tubes by themselves.

Contact [email protected], they can make them any length you want...

Smitty

1 - 8 of 8 Posts