Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got some info on my buddies gun that he is trying to flog on me. It says continetial arms....201. There is no engraving on it and was made in hungary. I looked and think that the s/n is 5543. Their are two triggers, and appears in near perfect condition. The barrels appear to be 30" and full chokes. Has anybody got any info on these guns, as to there value and reliability?...their is also a number in the breech ...a 5543010 but I have no idea what that means either. Any further info requred can be obtained quickly...as to the description. Thanks for the help! and keep up the great job.......

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
my reference shows the models being named not numbered but they are fairly spendy guns . here that topic line for their page in the Bluebook
CONTINENTAL ARMS CORPORATION
Previous importer that imported high quality shotguns and rifles (usually Belgian), circa mid 1950s - mid 1970s.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunatly I do not posess the blue book...pretty spendy...any idea's....he claims it's worth $1000canadian is this a reasonable estimate or is he out in space? Is there another company called continential?.....is this why there is a decrepancy...(made in hungry instead of belgum). like i said there is no scoll work on the gun. would a description of the stamps help in the id process. anybody have one of these guns?.....thanks, look forward to the reply.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Do either of these companies have anything to do with it?
Continental Arms Corp.
16 West 45th St.
New York City, New York 10036
Telephone (212) 768-8210

Continental Arms Co
1065 Park Ave Cranston, RI
ph: (401) 943-2137

Of course, if this is an oldtimer (but I'd bet the farm none were made in Hungary!):
Continental: Trade name used by the Great Western Gun Works of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania on firearms they retailed.
Continental Arms Company: Trade name used by the Marshall-Wells Company of Duluth, Minnesota on firearms they retailed.

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
Well, it was "usully" Belgium which doesn't discount Hungary.

this is the lowest one listed, it'll give you an idea.

- all gauges, basic boxlock action with double triggers and extractors.
Grading 100% 98% 95% 90% 80% 70% 60%
$1,050 $950 $895 $850 $700 $500 $400

Add 35% for ejectors.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All hat....
How would i go about finding out what this gun is then...is it a marshell-wells...or great western...or a continential... .
I went to the local chapters to purchase the blue book, but they told me it was currently univalible. I also checked most mag store's in town, and turned up nothing. I don't want to spend the bucks on this unit if it's not worth it. Have you any idea's where I could look, or major identifiing feature's that would id it?
I also checked the local library......nothing for info there.
Your time is appreiciated.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I phoned Rhode Island...they are not the company that imported these guns, but they figure that the other number in New York was the right one....so I phoned there...the number is no longer in use. The gentelman that I talked to in Rhode Island say's he must get at least 2 e-mails a week regaurding these guns, not including phone calls. he told me to find the word.....centaure.... on it some where, I'm off to look now. Also he told me that when a gun is imported into the states that it's importing company ushually stamps it.....the plot thickens...you fellas find anything more?...

·
Registered
332 Posts
I really don't think anything from Marshall-Wells or Great Western would have been made in Hungary, I'm not even sure Hungary was a country at the time they would have been in business. The New York Corporation is probably the importer, but the importer's name was not required on imported arms until the GCA of 1968. If this is a "high quality shotgun" as MarlandS source indicates, $1000 Can ($750-$800 US ?) would probably not be unreasonable in my opinion.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How or where would I get a compleate listing for marshall-wells. I have been searching all day to no luck. One site had a partial list but continetal where not listed,( I think that this is where this thing came from,) all I gotta do is find the 201 model listing. Any advice?

·
Registered
332 Posts
I only find three names listed as being unique to Marshall-Wells:
Continental Arms, Norwich Arms, and Comstock Arms. They probably sold others, but these were their "house brands." They would be utility shotguns with little ornamentation and plain stocks (probably walnut). They would definitely NOT be worth $1000 Can! More like $125-$150 US. But, as I said before, they would not be made in Hungary, so I believe you have something imported by the New York corporation, 1950 to 1968.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Alright I went back for another look...noware does it say centaure....it only says "continetal 201" .The s/n is definatly 5543. The stamps are as follows under the water table
a wreath with a coat of arms in the center and a star above it.
a fancy lookin' "v" with a "I" in it's top center
a dimond with a 12 over a 70 in the center.
a coat of arms with a "N" at the top and a 72 beside it
It appears to be a field stock. The fore stock is removable by pressing a button in the end.

Also diggen around his place I found a old winchester pump a 12v2? ...does that sound right s/n 1168453 any idea on it's age? neat little pump...blasted some rounds through it got more laught's than anything she's not very refined!
hope that some of this helps,if after this we come up empty handed....then she's worth no more than 250$ to me !! thanks.

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
We have had instances of guns intended for the European market over on this side of the water before and in many instances the model numbers are different. I'm pretty sure yours isn't one of the trade guns listed above...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I also have a 12 Ga SxS marked Continental only with no model number, it is also made in Hungary. It has 28 inch barrells choked M&F, cocking indicators,PG stock and Beavertail foreend, selective ejectors. This gun is a very solidly made shooter that is probably about 30-40 years old???. LIke you I would like to know a bit more about it.

Easttrout

·
Registered
2 Posts
I also have a 12 Ga SxS marked Continental only with no model number, it is also made in Hungary. It has 28 inch barrells choked M&F, cocking indicators,PG stock and Beavertail foreend, selective ejectors. This gun is a very solidly made shooter that is probably about 30-40 years old???. LIke you I would like to know a bit more about it.

Easttrout

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.