Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Natty,

To answer your question I am not a gun smith,come from that neck of the woods where imports of

fire arms into the country for civilian use has been banned for the last 20 plus yrs,unlikely to change,

so folks got to innovate :wink: cost not being an issue in our parts a used Baikal sells any where between $ 2 to 4 K :) could you please tell me the parts that I would require to convert a semi auto to a pump action.

DEG I hope it answers your questions too as to why I cant just buy a pump action.

Keep it coming

Cheers

Kiki

·
Registered
12,362 Posts
Curious, what kind of semi auto? Maybe not brand, but gas, inertia, long or short recoil operated? Would make a difference.

I take it that "manual" repeaters are legal and semis are not.

Gas, one could always just plug the gas port/ports and you would have sort of a "bolt" action repeater.

Beyond that, you are likely to just have to "jury rig" to defeat the auto system and make it a manually operated system.

And I suppose it must also be permanent. Gas, weld the gas ports shut.

Clyde

·
Registered
18,098 Posts
Kiki-

Any such conversion, even if it were possible (which I doubt), would not be an at-home project where you simply swap out a few parts.

It would mean a total redesign of the gun, and manufacture of lots of new parts. There would be very few gunsmiths who would be able to attempt such a conversion.

What country are you in?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Kiki -

Such is not a practical conversion. This could be done and it wouldn't be impossible by any stretch of the imagination. But it would take forever to explain to you how to do it and it would be a whole lot of work.

If a semi-auto is available for conversion to pump, then I have a hard time believing you couldn't just get a pump to begin with. Very strange indeed.

·
Registered
12,362 Posts
Not too strange, IF he has something that has been illegal for the past 20 years and now has to either secretly destroy, or convert it. It likely wouldn't be good, if he got caught with it in it's present condition!

But then, I am sort of taking him and his words at face value, plus reading between the lines a bit.

Some countries even lump pumps right in there with autos, and the only legal repeater is a break open, multi barrel gun.

BTW, it would be much simpler to just convert it to a single shot, letting the auto loading feature soak up some of the recoil. Just plug the magazine beyond being able to convert it back.

I have and like to, set up autos for kids new to shotguning, that way. Of course, just using a plug, so that it can be easily reversed. Helps a bunch in the recoil dept. for younger shooters.

Clyde

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I think Clyde has the best idea so far. I've been told, in Holland, prohibited firearms of sentimental value can be maintained if they're deactivated by having the chamber filled with molten lead. I would assume that Kiki could do as Clyde suggested and dummy-up the magazine. Possibly by filling it with molten lead. :?:

To convert a self-loader to a pump action is possible but not worth the amount of work involved. Also the parts required to do the conversion might be difficult to obtain in a restricted invironment. :(

Regards;
Rod

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Why couldn't you just cut the action bars and reattach them to the slide, which had been modified for manual function :?:

BT

·
Registered
22 Posts
LOL, why is it the folks that are not gunsmiths give out such information in the gunsmithing section? Granted some guys know a few things about guns, but this question showed the ones that really have no idea.

First of all, yes it is possible. Some guns even need to be turned into a pump guns because parts are no longer available to place the gun back in working condition in the semi auto mode. Is it a simple job, yes if you know what you are doing. Would I suggest you take the job on, only if you have the knowledge and tools to undertake the job. Am I going to tell you how, simply put, no! I went to school to learn how to work on guns and this is a job that even if I told you how, I have no guarantee you could do the job and wouldn't hurt yourself.

If you have good mechanical sense and can look at the job, it isn't hard to figure out what needs to be replaced. If you can compare drawings and can find them of a Remington 870 and a 1100, most anyone can see just how similar the guns actually are and figure it out. Best of luck with it.

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
Beginner Trap said:
Why couldn't you just cut the action bars and reattach them to the slide, which had been modified for manual function :?:

BT
:idea: And what are you going to use for a bolt release...........
As simple as it seems it's not! As close as 1100 action is to a 870, there's still enough difference in the action to make a change over from auto to pump a engineering nightmare. :roll:

·
Registered
22 Posts
This isn't an engineering nightmare at all, it is mostly a part swapout. Again, must not be too many smiths around here. This can and is done on several guns that parts have become scarce on. I have done this on several of the Rem model 48's and it can be done on just about any gun that uses the same basic frame as the pumps like on the 870 and 1100. it really isn't hard at all.

Now if you were dealing with apples and oranges such as on different brands and different frames, yes it gets harder, but still within reasonable skill of a decent smith.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Hello kiki: I agree with countryboy, it can be done. Ahlman's in Mn. has been converting the old Remington Md 740 & 742 semi-auto rifles to pumps for years. Converting a Md 1100 to a pump wouldn't be that difficult as an example. But really not cost effective.

If a semi is worn and not functioning correctly do to a worn receiver as opposed to warn moving parts, not much can be done.

Pump guns such as a Mossberg or Remington Express are so cheap, especially on the used market, I wouldn't even consider it. But if you have nothing to do and money to burn, almost anything can be done.

Regards Dave

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
cntryboy1289 said:
LOL, why is it the folks that are not gunsmiths give out such information in the gunsmithing section? Granted some guys know a few things about guns, but this question showed the ones that really have no idea.
The reason could be, I could be wrong, is this is an open forum where common everyday gun guys can swap opinions, information and ideas, ask questions, get feedback. I don't think having to be an everyday praticing Gunsmith is the absolute requirement for responding to a general question where the make and model of the gun is not even mentioned. Even between gunsmiths you're most likely to get a variance in opinions on the Practibility of such a conversion in a country where firearms are heavily controlled and parts may be as well. :?:

You gave an example of converting an 1100, using the similarity to an 870. Yes, if that's what Kiki has. :?: But for all we all know it could be any number of brands. I re-read his posts and didn't see where he specified any model except a Baikail. With other models the conversion could be more than a novice would or should undertake. If he was taking it to a gunsmith, he probably wouldn't have bothered with our opinions anyways. :)

Regards:
Rod

·
Registered
22 Posts
Rod I read what he said as well and still stand by my post. If you read all of my posts you will read that I specifically told him I would not explain it due to the reasons you posted about.

If the guy needs to perform the modification, using a model that has a twin such as the 870 and 1100 though should be ok for him. I have done this when parts were not available myself and it is not a hard conversion as long as you know what needs to be done. Is it cost effective, NO, but when a guy has one gun and wants to keep it running, sometimes it makes since if he can find the parts to use.

As far as it being an open forum, I never said it wasn't. I do find it silly for folks that have no idea about something to come across as an expert when posting and tell someone a conversion is a nightmare when it isn't. If that bothers you, sorry about it, but like I said in my earlier post, this is in the gunsmithing forum. I have seen more than once where someone from here blasted someone for an idea when they had no clue what they were talking about, this just happens to be the same case.

If me calling folks on it bothers you, I do appologize to you, but the simple fact is the gentleman asked a question and was told by quite a few guys that the job was next to impossible when they have no idea of what they were talking about and the job isn't really all that hard if you know what you are doing.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts