Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Breakfast favorite:

Venison breakfast sausage, eggs and cheddar cheese all rolled into heated flour tortilla. Coffee, hot chocolate, or diet Mt. Dew to wash it down.

Lunch favorite:

Grilled marinated pheasant breasts on Multi-grain Kaiser roll served with Venison chili con carne. Coffee, Hot Chocolate, or diet Mt. Dew to wash it down.

·
Registered
90 Posts
well our fovorite is deer loin buscuits. but we had a bad experience on opening morning this year. we had a new stove our buddy said was top notch. everythings going fine and all of the sudden, whooof, the dam thing exploded and caught the blind on fire! me and another guy run in beating out the fire, two more go outside to put out the roof, and one poor soul is so scared, hes trying to high tail it outta there. he was so flustered he dropped his new gun in the water!!!

and we didnt shoot a duck all morning, chalk that one up for the ducks :roll:

·
Registered
363 Posts
Breakfast tacos, either vinison link sausage, cooked then rolled in a tortilla with chz or breakfast sausage and scrambled eggs on a tortilla with chz. Coffee, pepsi or beer if it's a brunch we're picking up.

Supper is usually fajitas.

Masshunter your right, why do you think i go hunting.

·
Registered
20,521 Posts
Jeez, are you guys going out to hunt or to eat? :? What's wrong with eating breakfast at home and taking a sandwich and a thermos of coffee? But then again, maybe my thinking is screwed up because I always figured that time out in the field/woods/blind was for hunting. You can always eat a big meal when you get back home or back to the hunting lodge.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Man...you people must have blinds built by Ritz-Carlton; do your candleobras make the ducks flair? I am a Louisiana marsh hunter. Breakfast are poptarts & a thermos of coffee and lunch is sandwhich & chips or better yet, summer sausage & crackers. If I really want to go Hollywood I take a military MRE (have plenty of them after hurricane Katrina). the rest of the time I have my eyes on the skies.

·
Registered
10,501 Posts
When I was a kid in the early 50's,we had the old style blinds that were made between four telephone posts driven into the bottom. They sat about 6' above the water, were 10'X18' and made of rough sawn 4X4 and 1X12 lumber. The blinds were covered with tarpaper,chicken wire and then brushed up with catails and oak limbs. One half of the front dropped down for shooting and the entry was through a trap door in the floor. The boat was hidden under the blind.

These blinds all had small wood/coal burning stoves and meals were cooked on the stove. Breakfast was eggs and ham with warmed over biscuts. Lunch was a hearty soup and rye bread with pie. My uncle used to cook fresh duck in a big pan with onions,apples and sherry wine. I can still taste that meal!

Today,the blinds are smaller and often floating but we still have propane stoves (heaters,too!)to fix a proper "blind meal". It is just part of our tradition and,after all,tradition is surely a big part of our club. Tradition is so much a part of the club that we are planning an old fashion blind on one of our lakes for next season,wood stove and all. Maybe we will limit the blind to black powder only. The youngsters will love it! :wink:

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Blind? What is that? Am I missing something? I have been standing next to a big tree in the stream in hip boots and letting them come into the decoys if they feel like it. My call freezes as soon as I stop blowing it so I gave it up except for high flyers.
I do have a thermos of coffee and PBJ sandwiches on the bank behind me, and I pour some when I start shaking so bad I start stuttering (even though I am not even talking). BTW, it has been cold here.

Jeremiah

·
Registered
80 Posts
Eggs, cheddar cheese and spicy sausage wrapped in a warm tortilla

Or Egg, cheese and brat patty on a toasted english muffin

Ya gotta have breakfast. Especially for when they aren't flying. It sure makes for a better morning in the blind.

·
Registered
742 Posts
We cook everything from fresh deer to chili dogs. It depends on who decides to cook for the morning. We go to stay all day on the river and it is hard to watch for ducks on an empty stomach. It makes those days that are just above freezing more tolerable.

George 8)

·
Registered
11 Posts
We usually cook up plenty of eggs, hashbrowns, and some sort of meat. it usually consists of either sausage, deer meat, bacon, or ham who knows whatever we decide to pick up. We start cooking when the hunting gets slow becasuse ducks always fly when you start to cook food.... :oops:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.