Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use a Saiga 12K and was shopping for 00 Buckshot at a gunshow, and would like to ask what the difference is between regular lead shot and the copper plated shot? What is its effect on accurary and power? Does it wear out the barrel faster?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Hello fvf: I remember when the shot shell manufactures came out with copper plated lead shot. No it won't wear your barrel! the copper was suppose to help prevent the lead from flatening as it went through the barrel, (the ones on the outside of the shot columb and above the wad cup) and eventually when hitting the target. I shot some in the 70s and really couldn't tell any difference between that and standard lead on ducks and geese.

Regards Dave

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Dave

The store owner also told me that there would be less fouling on the barrel than with regular lead shot. I think he meant it would be easier to clean afterwards since the shot won't mark the barrel much and you would only have to clean powder residue.

·
Banned
473 Posts
It does pattern better and it does kill better. It patterns better because there are fewer deformed pellets and it kills better because it deforms less and therefore penetrates more.

Ever notice when cleaning game birds that the small feathers and down often gets pulled into the bird by the shot? That hardly happens at all with plated shot.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
copper plated is a trait of more premium buckshot loads, but for 00 there are usually other methods used in buffering the shot so it doesn't bounce around on it's way out.

tactical specialty buck has the buffering sand and special shot cups. I have postedpics of shots made with some of this specialty ammo recently in the tactical forum. the shot doesn't even start to spread until almost 10 yards.

To those who know:
what is the smallest shot size that you can get plated in copper?

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
fvf said:
Thanks Dave

The store owner also told me that there would be less fouling on the barrel than with regular lead shot. I think he meant it would be easier to clean afterwards since the shot won't mark the barrel much and you would only have to clean powder residue.

Better patterns yes but a cleaner bore?
Don't think so: since the shot don't touch a barrel because of the shot-cup.
Should of been around in the old days before all the plastic hulls and shot-cups were invented, back when barrels had grey streaks from lead fowling and Hoppies solvent was king! 8)

Ah, the good old days? (00

·
Registered
6,271 Posts
Copper plating lead shot is as has been said, a well established process. I was doing it as a young chemist in 1973 and it was ole time religion then.

It does help improve pattern quality; or rather stops it from degrading.

It does so by preventing the "cold welding" of lead shot that occurs under the pressure of firing. Individual bits of shot can stick together in the phenomenon known as "balling", no laughter please. In severe cases this can not only mess the pattern up, it's dangerous. The clumped up shot travel way further than an individual pellet and with much greater energy.

Copper has a higher melting point than lead, so it won't allow the surfaces to weld together. It's a very thin coating and adds nothing to hardness, and not much to abrasion resistance, so the point that hardnose and onlywinchesters made about the resistance to flattening and deformation isn't right. The coating is too thin (or the ones we applied were, around .00005" from memory) to affect the physical integrity of the shot..it merely alters the surface chemistry.

So, with regard to fouling, it's highly unlikely you will notice any much difference. Should the shot be in contact with the barrel wall (as opposed to being in a plaswad) it will rub away and expose the underlying lead.

wbThere was a chap in here recently who asked "what is a paper case"? As soon as I saw that my knees started to ache! Remember the smell of those paper jobs.....wonderful.

Regards
Eug

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.