Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always shot one ounce loads for skeet and 1 1/8 ounce loads for trap. Recently a friend of mine came with me to the range and was shooting a 20 gauge. With only a 7/8 ounce load, this guy nabbed a 24 on the trap field and did just fine on the skeet field. This made me rethink reloading my shells, if I can save an eighth of an ounce every shell I can save a bit more money.

The recipe I picked from the Hodgdon reloading data for a 7/8 ounce 12 gauge load in a STS hull, Clays powder, Winchester primer says you can use either a WAA12SL wad or a WAA12L wad. Since I might load the 7/8 for skeet and the one ounce for trap, I grabbed a case of the Claybuster replacement wads for the WAA12SL, since the Hodgdon data says the same wad can be used in either the 7/8 or 1 ounce recipe. I tried loading some 7/8 loads according to the recipe and the crimp was way low, so low that shot started coming out of a few of them. No tinkering with the machine helped the problem. Of course I stopped reloading them, figuring getting a taller wad would fix the problem. I was quite frustrated, feeling that I had been mislead.

I called the shop and they said I can exchange some bags of the WAA12SL wads for some WAA12L wads (the Claybuster CB0178-12) and that will probably fix the problem, but I just wanted to see if anyone had any input on the subject.

·
Registered
12,198 Posts
The SL wad will work with either a bulky powder, or alot of it so it takes up more room. Like if you were dropping 19 grains of RedDot that is bulky to start out with, it would fit well. The L (grey) wad will work fine, most likely.

If you are shooting from the 16 on trap, use the 7/8 there as well, it will crush'em.

Several wads fit your needs, the Fed 12S0 or long WJ will work, yes I know the Fed is for a straight walled case.

As I have said before, just because a load is listed in a recipe book, it doesn't make it a good load. Just one that held together long enough to make it to the test bench.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
360 said:
is the CB 1078 the same as the lightning wad? I've been using the lightning CB 4100-12-B in AA and gun club shells for both 3/4 and 7/8 ounce loads.
No it isn't the same as the different number designations indicate. If the Lightning works with 7/8 ounce loads, great. I personally have no experience with the Lightning wad since I experimented with a Windjammer wad some years ago and didn't like it at all. All those fingers were a PITA to deal with on a progressive press.

·
Registered
205 Posts
DoothaBartman

I use clays, win primers in rem hulls. I have had the best success with rem TGT12S wads and also use WAA12L. I have not used any Claybuster wads for 7/8 loads.

·
Registered
995 Posts
I am not the best shooter, but some of my best scores in Skeet and Sporting Clays have been when using 7/8 oz loads. I just choke tighter for Sporting Clays, and use SK/IC for Skeet (Dont have another SK choke) And like the guys have been saying, They do break targets.
I have loaded the both CB Clone of the WAA12L and the CB Lightning (WJ clone) for 7/8 oz. But lean toward the CB WJ clone. It has a longer leg section and fills up the case better when using 700Z or Titewad powder. Try them, you will like them. V/R TonyG

·
Registered
857 Posts
I used a 20ga. card wad at the bottom of some Green Dusters for experimenting with 7/8 oz loads. I had an old can of Hercules Red Dot and some Rem RTL hulls and Rem primers. I used the old load data with better that expected results.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I use the gray Claybuster clone of the WAA12L but if Duster made a 7/8 oz wad I would use it. I just prefer the Duster Wads to the Claybusters. I do get great crimps out of the Claybuster in STS or GunClub hulls using 22 grains of Hodgdon International Clays. I don't even have to change any settings on my press when I load 7/8 oz or 1-1/8 oz loads.

FWIW

hubcap

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
For my skeet loads I use the 7/8 oz of 8 1/2, Gun Club hulls, W209, Claybuster 0178-12 (grey WAA12L eq), and 17.1 of Clays powder. The crimp is perfect. The same load with the CB 1100-12 (WAASL eq), and my crimps were too deep.

I use the 1100-12 for my 7/8 oz wobble trap loads, but load 19 of clays. The crimp is good with the increase in power and I've been able to decrease my lead on those fast groundburner targets.

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
Also trying to do a 7/8 oz load. Using clays. I bought the winchester gray wad. The Hodgdon website lists a 1200 fps load for the pink wads (SL) but not for the gray wad (L) in the winchester hulls. I tried some loads with the gray wad using the pink wad reccomendations. Sure enough, I got a squib.(1 out of 100). Looking at the gray wad, it is a lot different than the pink wad. harder plastic, particularly in the shot cup. rounded edges. Is it possible that the gray wad is made for high velocity use and it just does not seal as well at low pressures as the pink wad? Also the lighter load is listed for the Remington cases, but not for the winchester. Is there a shape difference inside the hulls between those 2?

I am going to try again with the light powder charge and the pink wads. The exact situation is that the case looks a little tight with the gray wad and a little loose with the pink wad. Such is life.

Right now the only pink wads I have on hand are the claybuster clones. Are they exactly the same capacity as the pink winchester or will one or the other of those wads take up a little more space?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Just last week I loaded some 7/8oz 12 ga loads using 17.8 grs Clays, Rem Premier Nitro (gold ones) hulls. W209 primer, WAA12SL wads. Crimp looked like the factory. 1275fps.

Going to 1 oz loads using the same components and 19.6 grs clays it filled them up a bit to much for my taste.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.