Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You know, you never seem to have the right wad on hand when you decide to try something new. I have a few pounds of extra lite. My competition skeet load is STS 1 oz over promo with the Winchester SL knock off running 1150 on average. I have a few hundred AA-HS hulls, and it seems like a food option to keep my target and competition loads separate.

I'll like to knock off and 1/8 oz of lead, and keep speed right in the 1150 range, and seems like Extralite is just what the doctor ordered. Green duster, 12xl, AASL, and tgt12 all leave leaking dished crimps.

Suggestions? I've search some threads, but it is difficult to find one with extralite, aa and 7/8s shot running only 14.5 grains of powder. I see, to have some CB-1075-12 wads, but I'm guessing these will be too tall for the load.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And how does one tell the difference on the Alliant website, since they just list AA and the CF's were discontinued 8-10 years before they introduced Extralite? I may have my dates wrong, but I'm seeing 7/8 at 1150 with Winchester primers on Alliant website. Just have no idea if the CB-1078 actually fits in this load. There are lots of loads listed that don't have a correct stack height.

·
Administrator
23,249 Posts
Lexusclays said:
And how does one tell the difference on the Alliant website, since they just list AA and the CF's were discontinued 8-10 years before they introduced Extralite? I may have my dates wrong, but I'm seeing 7/8 at 1150 with Winchester primers on Alliant website. Just have no idea if the CB-1078 actually fits in this load. There are lots of loads listed that don't have a correct stack height.
That load will work fine if you use the Downrange DR XXL-1 Pink wad. I have loaded many thousands of them in that HS hull.
I have also loaded many thousands of 3/4 oz loading using that wad as well as the gray 7/8 wad by Claybuster, not the 3/4 oz by Claybuster.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
I can't say I have ever used Extra Lite. But if I was trying to assemble a load in an AAHS hull and discovered Green Dusters and AASL wads produced dished in crimps and leaking shot, the next thing I'd try would be the CB gray 7/8 ounce wad (CB-1078-12) or some OEM AALs or Purple Dusters. Stick with an AA TYPE wad designed for a tapered hull but move up or down in the family to get the right length.

·
Administrator
23,249 Posts
browning66 said:
Curly what is the weight of Extralite you are using in the AAHS? Do you use the Win 209 primer?
I like the lighter loads snappy and use 16-16.5 grains of Extra-lite. I use the Federal 209A primer, so that WW 209 will be safe.

·
Registered
10,358 Posts
Lexusclays said:
Thanks, Curly and Albatros. Let's see what Big Guy's has in stock tomorrow. Appreciate the suggestions.
The AA wad is the WAA12L for 7/8 oz loads.

The Purple Duster, (by Down Range), is a clone of that wad.
The Claybuster CB0178-12 is also a clone of that wad.
The Down Range XXL Pink is a propriatory 7/8 oz wad, that also works for 3/4 oz. loads.

Don't know if Big Guy's has them all, but he has the CB0178-12 for sure.

DLM

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Curly-Nohair said:
browning66 said:
Curly what is the weight of Extralite you are using in the AAHS? Do you use the Win 209 primer?
I like the lighter loads snappy and use 16-16.5 grains of Extra-lite. I use the Federal 209A primer, so that WW 209 will be safe.
Yes, the referenced load of the CB0178-12 or the DRXXL Pink with 16.5 grs. of X-Lite will put you around 1300fps. and will destroy the clays. In an OU, very little recoil. Load up a box of the 1150fps. and 1300fps. and you will see the stark difference.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Unless you're dead set on using that Extralite, my standard skeet load is 7/8 oz. of shot in a WAA12SL (or clone) over16.2 grains of Promo. It runs right around 1150 fps. and crimps perfectly in a HS hull.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts