Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright you reloaders...

What is the initial investment to reload say, 10 cases (2,500) 12 gauge, 1 oz. loads, #8 shot, with a velocity in the 1200 fps range? I know that there is a wide range of equipment and components in the marketplace, and my reloads don't have to be AA clones, just a good, sound, shot shell.

Give me the numbers: Equipment cost (average, not "ghetto" or "Cadillac") + powder + shot + wads + primers = 2,500 shells (you can assume the hulls are a no cost component.) Obviously, the cost factor is a function of the quantity of shells reloaded. If a more illustrative reload number is useful, (other than 2,500) feel free to work your calculation based on that figure.

Thank you in advance for your participation in the survey.

Mike

Mike

·
Registered
130 Posts
I always purchase my components in amounts to load lots of 1000 so lets say 3000 shells to give a base line. Remember the more bulk you buy the cheaper the cost per shell.

1000 Primers (209 type) - $19.00 - 27.00 X 3= $57 - $81
1000 Wads (depending on type) $8.00 -$17.00= $24 - $51
8 bags shot averaging $15.75 (3000/16oz/25lb)=$126
powder will depend on type and quantity purchased
I shoot Hodgdon Clays and buy it in 8lb kegs at between $94 to $130 per keg and you can figure about 390 loads per lb (average) to get 3 dram equivalent.

MEC 600 Jr loader $95.00 to $159.00

Using these figures (you could end up getting the supplies cheaper) your initial investment would be from $396 to $547. Remember that there is going to be some pretty hefty shipping costs unless you can purchase locally. These include a $20.00 Hazardous cargo fee for any powder or primers, also the lead shot is very expensive to ship so you should really try to get it at a local supplier.

This gives a very broad range of prices and you could come in a lot cheaper by buying a used reloader or by purchasing some of your supplies from a supply house in your area. These prices are some that I got from suppliers with web sites. Here are some of the sites that I looked at: http://www.precisionreloading.com ; http://www.cabelas.com ; http://www.gamaliel.com ; http://www.grafs.com

Good Luck and Enjoy ---AFG

G

·
try the yard sales & pawn shops. I picked up a Mec sizemaster
for $50. I also picked up a Mec jr. for fifteen dollars. when one
dedicates them self to reloading, equipment you want shows up.
you just have to be patient. if your trying to save money, go to walmart. you won't save money reloading. you'll just shoot more. walmart has winchester super speed. #7 shot 7/8 oz. 1350 fps. $30 per case if you just want a supply.

·
Registered
17 Posts
AFGunner, with the prices you said, what does that average out cost/box of 25? I'm really interested in getting into reloading but want to know if it would be cost effective.

Right now I buy Noble #8, 2 3/4, 1 1/8 oz. for $33 incl. tax. If the savings would be enough to justify this, or if the quality of shell would justify it I would be very happy to know.

Thanks in advance,
-Barry-

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Our club gathers orders from all the members each spring, and then orders all the stuff at once from a retailer near here - but we get a heck of a deal because of the size of the order.

I load AA hulls with 17.3 grains of Clays, a claybuster 1 oz wad, and 1 oz of hard shot with a Win 209 primer. Depending on the kind of deal I can score on once-fired hulls, and prorating the hull cost over 10 reloads (about average life of the AA's), I figure $2.55 to $2.65 per box. I buy powder in 8 lb kegs, wads 5,000 at a time, and primers 5,000 at a time.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Fresh off the bench. I just started reloading last week. Here is what it cost me to get started:

Mec Jr. $100.

The combined total of

Powder - WSF
Primers - Win 209
Wads - Win AA
and size #6 Shot - I'm doing this for field loads for my 28ga
TOTAL $60.

I already had hulls that I have been saving so these were no cost.

The total cost to get me going was $160.

A friend set everything up for me and taught me the basics. I recomend finding a mentor to get started, like I did.

Like I said above I'm doing this for 28ga field loads. Factory loads for high brass 6's cost me from $11.50 on up.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I figure it costs me about $2.50 to $2.75 a box to reload, making it definitely cheaper than buying the cheapest new shells out there, plus I have the flexibility to load what I want when I want it.

The secret to cheap though, is buying in bulk... and if you have a source for once fired hulls, as I often do, it makes it even cheaper. I have found that my best buys are at gun shows where I buy primers by the case (5000 at a time). Never buy powder in less than 8 lb. cans if you can help it. And I use Claybuster wads as substitute for the more expensive Winchester wads of the same configuration and have had good success with them.

I went spendy on the reloader, because I load 10,000 shells a year. I have a Mec 9000H hydraulic progressive and love it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts