Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently saw an article on Coues Deer Hunting. I was curious about it so I thought Id post something. Does anybody have any info on these deer and what about experience with them. -shotgunner

G

·
Hey there Shotgunner. My Step-Dad was the head administator of the Papago Indian Reservation in So. Az. for 20 yrs. (The last non-Indian to hold the position..) State hunting laws don't apply with Indian land, The Indians set their own. Me and my father were granted hunting rights on the reservation by tribal council, any time, anywhere, just like all the Indians that lived there. (what a dream for an outdoorsmen like me and my Dad.) I was already grown so didn't live there like him, so my hunts were sporatic, but my Dad hunted weekly.

Around Christmas though Jan. Desert Bighorn came up from Mexico to the high mountains on the Resv. My Dad got the 3rd record B&C off those mountains, but only counts as a "pick-up" rack due to rules for B&C (non-public/private land hunt). ( I also know an Indian with a 14 point Muley on his wall with a 54 inch inside spread that would go high on B&C, but doesn't quilify).

Anyway, they hunt 3 different deer out there. Whitetail, Mule and Coues. Acording to my Dad, the Coues are very small, 3/4 to 1/2 the size of the local Whitetails. I've got a picture somewhere of a 6 point Coues mount next to a 8 point muley my Dad took. (Salt cured and mounted by my Dad! Both Heads!)
The size differential between the 2 is vast. But from what he told me, Coues are only along the Mex. border. Hope this helps...tex

1 - 2 of 2 Posts