Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I might be able to pick up a Stoger 2000 combo REALLY cheep [28" cameo regular stock, 24" barrel with a 'Steady' ie pistole grip stock] and want to get everyone's thoughts on using it as a HD gun using the PG stock....Can you 'limp wrist' it when/if you use it one handed??? With the type of action it has [ not gas] I thought it might be possible...I know from reading all the threads it is close to 100% after cleaning and break-in but do you have to have it tucked in your shoulder???? Not many have talked about it as a HD gun...Only a few small companys make a mag extension tube..and they do make ONE HD model..Is there some reason it's not popular as a HD gun?

G

·
Can you 'limp wrist' it when/if you use it one handed???
Certainly...as long as you don't actually want to hit anything.

The Stoeger 2000 is a fine weapon. It uses mostly Benelli parts. Tuck that stock into your shoulder and shoot it right. I don't think there would ever be a case where I'd shoot mine one handed. It is not popular as a HD gun because there are so many other, better - suited ones out there. But it would work fine. I think the mag extension is made by a company here where I live.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I have one of the 2000 defense with the pistol grip stock.

Can you 'limp wrist' it when/if you use it one handed???
yes you can and a great probability it will if you shot it like that.

With the type of action it has [ not gas]
Its the same design as the Benelli inertia design.Good action but has some draw backs

1 more felt recoil

2 need to have some mass behind it to work due to the recoil operation of it. If you have a soft hold or are shooting from the hip or other things like that it may fail to cycle right.

3 cant run a mag extension with the pistol grip stock due to ATF rules.

4 chrome line barrel (may cost more if you need the forcing cone lengthen and to have choke tubes installed)

5 it may not cycle with lights and side saddle hanging off it

Now the good

1 chrome line barrel

2 good semi for the cost can be had under 400.00 new

3 less recoil then pump action at least for me that is.

4 you can add a mercury recoil reducer

5 same design as the Benelli

6 rotating locking lugs head on bolt

hear is the post that I did on the range report of my gun

viewtopic.php?t=165183

Some updates I'm now closer to 1000+ rounds with the cheap stuff form wally world and just a few more rounds of 00 buck to pattern it. 100% with any thing that is not cheap ammo and the only problem that I have now is it gets dirty and the lugs like to stick some but not a issue with the more powerful stuff, maybe it the more energy in the recoil maybe I don't know.

Could you trust a Stoger 2ooo ??
You are the only one that can really answer that question. As for me yes I would but if I had some thing else like a pump action I would go that route because its not as reliably as a pump.Still a good shotgun.

Also look at the Stoeger forum for more answers.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Stoeger just isn't that well known, plus they come across as a "bargain" gun, which scares some people. Personally, I feel that they really are a bargain, and there are actually advantages to them being cheap- more on that later. I have a P350 pump gun, and I think it's a contender as best pump gun available for a couple of different reasons.

As for the M2000, the action is borrowed off of the Benelli M2, which is arguably the best semi auto available today. However, one thing that they did to reduce the cost was loosen the tolerances. As a result the internal pieces fit looser. According to some people, this leads to greater reliably because there is space if crap gets inside the receiver, which is one reason the AK is so reliable. However, you have to remember that the M2000 is going to suffer from the same weaknesses as the M2- If you add to much weight to the gun, in the form of side saddles, lights, optics, ect, they won't cycle. I'm not sure if a limp hold will also cause problems.

There are a couple people on the forum that have them, and they seem happy with them. As I recall, the forum moderator, Grizzlywinmag, has an M2000 that he converted to HD duty.

As for which gun to get, if you want a HD gun, then get the HD model. That's the only way to get a short barrel. However, they are only available with a conventional stock, so if you want a standard stock, you are stuck with replacing the stock, or getting a longer barrel and cutting it down. Like Benelli's, spare barrels are notoriously hard to get.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your imput! I'm 100% SC USN vet with a loss of use of my left arm..I know I need a better gun than the old single shot I have now..I want to go with a PG stocked gun .It HAS to be a auto and I want to buy new..As my budjet is really, really, tight my choice is a 930 or the 2000.I don't want ghost ring sights and the FO adjustable sights on the one 930 I looked down at Gander were great...But the only 'from the factory' PG stocked 930 is the SPX at 780.00 list [and ghost rings] or the 85265 24" turkey 930 at 628.00 list..It comes with the great adj.FO sights I like.I was offered a 2000[maybe, he likes it!] 2 barrel 24" and 28" combo with 2 stocks a regular and the 'steady grip' PG stock all in a cameo finish for 400.00 or so..So I have been reading all the threads on the Stoeger I can find...I have never had a HD shotgun before and thought I could live with the 24" barrel...I am re-thinking that now.. and I want to get it right.The first time..I do want to add a light and a ex mag tube but no side saddle because of weight.The 2000 might be a great deal but if it wont work for me..well..

·
Registered
12,637 Posts
Seabee could you elaborate more on the "limp wristing" issue? I was reading in the general forum about the inertia type action and from what I read it needs some room to move due to the bolt having to move slightly foreward to unlock.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
How much use do you have in your left arm? Can you support a long arm at all? If not, I would seriously consider a light weight carbine or possibly even a pistol over a front heavy shotgun.

If your only options are 930 and m2000, and you have to have a pistol grip, I would definitely go with the M2000. Using the safety will be a pain on the 930 with a pistol grip, particularly if you can't use your other hand to help support the gun. There are some over sized safeties that may let you reach the safety easily while using a pistol grip stock, but if it turns out not to work for you, you are stuck with a gun that doesn't fit you.

Have you considered Charles Daly? They make the special purpose tactical semi auto that sounds like what you want. It comes with a pistol grip, features a pistol grip friendly cross bolt safety, and is gas operated, which means that it will tend to be lower recoil and more limp wrist proof than the M2000. It's also right around the same price as the M2000 or the standard short barrel 930.

http://www.charlesdaly.com/fsemi.asp

G

·
I'm 100% SC USN vet with a loss of use of my left arm..I know I need a better gun than the old single shot I have now..I want to go with a PG stocked gun
bossharp...We get lots of "Rambo wannabes" on here who seem to think the coolest thing on earth is to shoot PG-only shotguns - and some want to try it one handed! That is obviously not your case.

I've been re-reading your posts and thinking about your situation. Were I in your situation, I think I would look at a polymer frame semi auto handgun (Glock, Springfield XD etc) for HD. The difference in cost is not that great, maybe $100 or so. The level of proficiency attainable is quite a few degrees better with the handgun. With some good instruction, the handgun would be as effective and could pose far fewer challenges in defending your home. The old single shot would make a fine "last stand" type weapon in this case.

Just my thoughts, anyway.
Pete

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I can support/steady the gun at my shoulder for about 90 seconds or so.. My left hand has a really weak grip and I can't rack a pump. I did see/try a pump that had a strap under the forarm that was easy to grab but I don't have the strength to chamber a round unless I bend down push the rest of the gun and lean my L arm on my L upper leg..Another problem is EVERYTHING I shoulder seems way to long...I tried a Mesa tac stock on a 590 and the most comfortable setting LOP was like 9"!!! I also have a carpal tunnel problem in my right hand once in a while...AND my L eye is domant LOL! I am 6" 2" and 250 lb so I am really puzzeled why a short LOP is so good for me??? Maybe the eye? Nobody in central Florida has a 930 with the PG stock to actualy try....Just 590's and other assorted more expensive guns...The reason why the PG appeals to me is that with a lazer and with it tucked under my arm I think I would be more confedent if I HAD to use it in a stressfull event..and with full power ammo. And the simple fact I can hold it steady for a more accuart shot. This gun WILL be my all purpose gun....With no plans to add any kind of side saddle I felt that a 24" barrel with a long mag tube [9 maybe 10 rounds] would help me deal with recoil on full power rounds...But then again I am just guessing...Would a muzzel heavy SG maybe make it easer to hold steady ?

·
Premium Member
4,638 Posts
The Stoeger 2000 went through a major overhaul a few years ago, and it is, I believe now in it's 3rd or 4th generation. If the 2000 you're looking at is 3rd generation then it is probably a very good deal and shouldn't have any problems after you break it in the right way. The Stoeger has the niffty feature that, just like the Benelli automatics, you can float one on the feed ramp, so your Stoeger is actually an X+1+1 capacity shotgun (X in the magazine, 1 in the chamber and one on the feedramp).

Mag extensions are not easy to come by, but they're not impossible to find, either. Do a google search and I think you'll find one or two small time machinists who can make you one. Simmons Guns made mine for me, it works really well and I'm quite happy with it. You might want to talk to them about making one for you.

http://simmonsguns.com/

simmonsguns is the SGW representative for Simmons.

As to "limp wristing", I tried this as just a goof a few times, by holding it loosely at the waist to shoot it. I don't remember being actually able to induce a malfunction this way, so I think the 2000 is at least moderately robust in this regard. I might have to try to run a box of the cheap shells through it to see if I can make it screw up.

Oh, and definitely go to the Stoeger forum as well. Lots of good info there, too.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Sorry for using the term limpwirsted but I don't really know what to call a bad hold, weak hold not shouldered ? But if it does not have a good back stop it will not cycle.

The limpwirst thing that I'm talking about is, when you shoot it with out the but stock against some thing. Like from the hip or like Tom Knapp shot behind the back or over head that is what I'm talking about. I do not shot this way and I don't suggest that you shot it this way the stock really needs to be against some thing to work.
I'm sorry for using a bad term but that is what I meant and that's what I thought that was what the OP was asking about.Watch the video at about 1:32 in the move will show what I'm talking about and if your weak hand(support hand) is weak you will really need it against your shoulder to work 100%.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5uHt4Aw ... re=related

As for the mag ext please remember the 922r laws if you add a ext on it you will be making an illegal gun if you keep the pistol grip on it. If you go to a non pistol grip stock then you can add a mag ext.If you go with the Mossberg you don't have to worry about this as it is an American shotgun and the 922r laws don't apply to it.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sure is a lot to think about....Light but kicks,ex mag not legal,could be problematic with my disibilty, Hmmmm...I had no idea about the legal issues...Thats a big deal to me. "Thou shall NOT commit a felony" is my creed LOL! Thanks everyone ya'll have kept me from making a mistake..930 it is.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a P350 and its a really good pump gun, even compared to the more popular 500 and 870's which dominate the tactical hd fields.... I dont know about the 2000, but i did find a 350 mag extension on ebay under the tools.....

·
Registered
318 Posts
I have the p350 and the 2000.
I like the p350 better than my benelli Novas
The m2000 has cycled everything I tried, from heavy 3 inch to light target. No failures to cycle, at all. It does seem to recoil at least equal to my m-1 super 90's. When I finally got the choke right, it can be a tight shooting bird hammer. Trigger on my M2000 is supurb.

I don't recommend trying to (so called) limp wrist any inertia shotgun.....at all. You might get away with it, and in a combat/life threatening situation....and you just might not. Not worth the risk If you can't risk that, get something else i.e. not a inertia type shotgun.
My m2000 is of the later variety, is tightly fit, and a good gun.
I have a number of other way more expensive gas guns, but nothing at all wrong with my sample of the M2000.
I wouldn't hesitate to get it again.

I do have the mag extension if needed for whatever (which I really don't need :roll: ) since I have way more dedicated shotguns, but the point is, the extension seems fine. I had to do a bit of fitting but, no prob. I got mine from the e bay site, and it works for my p350 too.

Paul

·
Registered
305 Posts
Now if some one would make a youth stock for the 2000 I would be set. But untill they do or I get a regular stock I will have to just wish for a mag ext that I can really use damn laws. :D

I also think the 2000 is a great gun and if I can find a p350 cheap I will pick one up for a duck gun

1 - 18 of 18 Posts