Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I'm from sequatchie co tennessee(Near chattanooga). I hear we have some boar now but I don't know which counties have sizable populations. I've read all about how we should be eradicating them and I'm glad to comply(Two more weeks till bow season and i need something to shoot at bigger than a squirrel.). I've sighted some potential wild boar(I thought they were domesticated pigs who had escaped but now im not so sure.) near marion county and I'm considering taking a few of my buddies who are new to hunting on a 3 day camp trip to see if we can't bust a few squirrels and maybe a boar or two. I'm a little worried about getting into trouble for carrying slugs with me in the woods tho(We have a seperate gun with an improved choke for the slugs.). Also, does anyone have any tactical suggestions for hunting them? The 1 i found this summer(I was fishing) was not timid but seemed more willing to attack me than to run. I had to practically dive into the cove to get away from it.(I think there were babies involved tho. They might be harder to get a bead on in the fall.)

· Registered
459 Posts
Although TN has an abundance of both "wild hogs" as well as "feral pigs" they are usually in isolated pockets throughout the state. Catoosa WMA has a good population of Russian Boar, and Ocoee (South Cherokee) WMA also has good numbers. BE AWARE that there IS a difference between a wild boar and a feral pig. Feral pigs are domestic swine that have returned to the wild. TWRA regs differentiated between the two in the past...I'm not sure about the current regs. Better check that out to be sure. They are definitely growing in numbers throughout the state. If TWRA doesn't give the hunters some extremely "loose" seasons and plenty of opportunity to thin them out, they will decimate the deer population. Hogs will eat every bit of the mast crop in a very short time, leaving nothing for the deer except browse. Same situation with the coyotes here. They are everywhere and TWRA is making it difficult to hunt them because of the regs.

We go to Texas several times each year and kill hogs. They have become a terrible problem for the ranchers. It's not unusual for us to kill 10-12 daily.

A word of caution: As you have already seen, a hog isn't hesitant to be aggressive. And when wounded or otherwise angered, they can be extremely violent. If you are adamant about hunting them with a bow, I'd strongly recommend that a tree stand be mandatory. :wink:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.