Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched for the answers, but can't seem to find them. I've recently been given an early 70s production gold trigger Belgian A5 light 12 (has the box, manual, everything) with very few rounds thru it. I need to extend the stock a bit due to my height/long arms for fit purposes and would like to use a recoil pad for this. Do y'all know of any that are easy to fit w/o gunsmithing required? Also, I'd like to use the gun for waterfowl, but the barrel is no good for steel. If the barrel is fitted with aftermarket screw in chokes (rated for steel) would that be an acceptable compromise (invector barrels seem to be hard to come by and a little pricey).

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Measure your buttplate and see it any of the aftermarket recoil pads are a direct fit for you. Another option is a slip on pad. This is what I use on my Franchi.

As for the barrell, I'd have to bit the bullet and purchase an invector plus bbl, or use a non-toxic that is safe in the existing barrell.

- PJ

·
Registered
103 Posts
you should be able to find a good extra length recoil pad that will fit the A5 stock. If not, then the onl standby slip on is the way to go (you can take it off when not shooting if you feel it is iunsightly).

As for steel in the Belgian barrel....No, No, No, No, No.

The steel rated choke tubes will do you no good if the steel shot gets jammed up in the barrel behind the choke constriction. You will get a bulge ring if this occurs. Or, worse yet, it could seize the choke in the threads so tightly that nothing short of some very prcise machining will remove it.

If you shot open chokes and small steel shot, you may never have a problem, but why take the chance. you have the option of softer non-toxics or an aftermarket barrel. Both are pricey, but worth it when you consider trying to replace a perfectly good Belgian barrel that you destroyed with steel shot.

For the sake of the gun, do the right thing. Have fun with it and enjoy it until you pass it on.

·
Registered
135 Posts
The problem with A5's are the curved butstocks. I've yet to find any aftermarket pads for them. Most replacement pads are designed to fit flat, even surfaces, not curved. All guns installed with recoil pads that Iv'e seen were ethier cut or trimmed (requiring gunsmithing). Personally, I would never cut or trim an A5 butstock to accomadate a pad. I am an A5 guru, and it would break my heart to do so. I would opt for a slipon, as some of the others have mentioned, to fit your desired LOP. It will be ugly, but the ducks want know the difference. At the end of the day, remove it, and its a beautiful gun again.

P.S.-- I have a Lt 12 made in '57 that has a recoil pad installed. I bought it this way, because it was a good deal. It would easily be 99% if it didn't have it. Believe it or not having a recoil pad installed will affect the resale value as much as $200 or more.... a little food for thought.

·
Registered
4,734 Posts
Our new A5 guru is right. Look at the wood on the butt and you'll notice it is a concave curve that is cut off when mounting a pad.

My advice as aready noted is to use one of the temporary slip on pads. In the meantime watch the market for another stock that you can have a pad put on to lengthen it. Then you'll be able to switch them and keep the original stock intact so it can be replaced if you ever decide to sell it.

In addition I think there are better looking pads for older guns than the Browning (by Pachmayer) pads. Here is a pad I mounted for one of our readers:

Jeff

1 - 8 of 8 Posts