Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heading to Maggie Valley NC for long weekend. Any good courses within a couple of hours drive of Maggie? Would love to sneak away and shoot some different terrain.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
1 1/4 hr. away is Smoke Rise Field Club in Rosman, NC. It is a private club but if you call their manager, Chris, and let him know you are a serious shooter, you can get a guest pass.

This is a WOW club with amazing topography, 3 sporting courses, 2 covered 5-Stands, a very nice clubhouse overlooking a trout pond and great members.

To shoot the upper course, they require you to use their Rangers (locked into 4-WD low-range and carrying big wheel chocks) due to the very steep hills.

The courses vary from soft/sub gauge type to hair-raising targets that would be great practice for the World FITASC.

If you pass this one up, it will be your loss. Check out their website: http://www.smokerisefieldclub.com

Demi

·
Registered
352 Posts

·
Registered
8,325 Posts
rschrager said:
I shot the Gun Club at Tryon Resort (part of the Tryon International Equestrian Center) a couple of weeks ago. http://tryon.coth.com/article/the-gun-club-at-tryon-resort

Great facility. Nice people. 15 stations, all covered, 4 machines at each station, good mix of targets.
I've been shooting at that one. I think they now officially go by Cleghorn; but also it's confusing because this is also "the gun club at Tryon" and associated with the equestrian center. Regardless, it's an awesome club and actually reasonable. Smoke Rise is nice. If you register on their site you can (or at least if this hasn't changed) get a discount for your first time there.

The Biltmore has a course. I haven't shot it. Further South of Greenville is the Belton Gun Club and the Clinton House Plantation where I belong. If you want to meet at Cleghorn/Tryon or Smoke Rise send me a PM!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Agree with the review of Smoke Rise.

Another option is Fowler Farm in Hot Springs. This is more of a "mom and pop" type operation. A semi- mountainous course. They only had a few carts for use last time I was there.

Biltmore rivals Smoke Rise but it is a private club. No guest passes are available.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone -- as for the Matthew warning, I'm from Savannah, so that is why I am here!

Tyron hard to find info on internet - maybe I will look under Leghorn.

Me and some others gonna hit Smoke Rise in the AM --- beats working!

Hope leaving town wasn't necessary, but gonna try to make most of it and hope for the best for us and everyone on the Coast.

·
Registered
27,059 Posts
I drove The Dragon in a supercharged MINI; watched a trike go over the edge and the guy died; poor guy had recently retired and was on a road trip with his buddies. I never got the car out of second gear or over 15mph.......Freaky road for sure.

·
Registered
8 Posts
318 curves in 11 miles... Yeah, there are deaths every year. For every fatality there are many many more accidents with injuries or at the least torn up vehicles. I live pretty close and have seen lots of cars and bikes on wreckers. Saw a brand new Viper that the guy had slid into the side of the hill. A kid in the sportbike club went through three bikes in about 6 weeks. Some people are just slow learners. :roll: I think I've seen someone down every time I've ridden it on a weekend.

Weekends are by far the worst time. Now that the weather is cooling off it will be really busy for the next month. THP and the local Sheriff's office patrol it pretty heavy to keep the crazies in check.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So me and my son and some other shooting buddy evacuees met at Smoke Rise Field Club this morning and had a great day. We met some of the local members who had shot Ga State Shoot at our home club Forest City in Savannah, and they and the club Manager Chris extended us every possible courtesy. Hats off to them and their hospitality.

We shot the Valley Course, then went up above on the beautiful Ridge Course. Certainly presentations at 4,500 feet above sea level that you won't see at 10 feet! Challenging but fair, but most importantly FUN! The rain started as we finished with the "Big Boy" covered 5 Stand with 10 machines and targets true to the name.

Shooting with my boy and my buddies at a great new venue made for a great day, now let's hope Matthew takes it easy on us tonight.

Thanks for the tips everyone -- will be back, and will try out the others mentioned as well.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.