Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
6,963 Posts
I don't know what is planted further west, but the KDWP plants sunflowers here in the Southeast. I can tell you, wherever they plant them they are the only game in town. Those sunflowers literally draw doves from miles around. It's tough to find a place to bag a limit of doves within 20 miles of those sunflower fields. What's astonishing is that those fields are only good for one day. The pressure pushes the birds somewhere but it's nowhere close. I've spent considerable time and lots of gas trying to find them after opening day.

· Registered
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Vette jockey, we planted sunflowers and millet this year. Unfortunately the dry spring caused us to plant rather late and the plants did well, but were late maturing so we got no benefit in dove shooting.
However a neighbor had a field of safflowers that he harvested two weeks before season and it was loaded with doves. We hunted it with lots of success.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.