Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, i'm a lefty shooter but am right eye dominant, I have been using magic dots for the last year with success, without it I see two barrels. Hi-viz is claiming their new magni-comp sight corrects cross eye domination, but i'm wondering if it would work for someone who sees two barrels ?? anyone tried one yet ?? http://www.hivizsights.com/

·
Registered
538 Posts
I have not tried the new HiViz product, but it seems like it will cause you to "aim", which is not a good thing for a wingshooter. If changing to shooting from your dominant eye shoulder is not an option, I'd keep using the magic dot. However, I have a friend who changed "sides" at 50+ yrs of age, and he was shooting better by the end of the weekend. I don't know if you can teach an old dog new tricks or not, but you can become a better shooter if you use your dominant eye to shoot with.

- PJ

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking of trying to change sides and learn to shoot righty, but for the most part, I see two barrels when the gun is mounted on either shoulder. The magic dot corrects this problem, but I feel i'm giving up quite a bit of pheripheral vision.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Just wondering - do you do anything right-handed (write, baseball, golf, archery, shoot pool, etc...)?
Sometimes with us lefties, being in a right-hand world can present unforeseen issues. My guitar teacher switched me from left to right at a young age, which I know in my heart that I could have been a much better/faster player if I would have been allowed to play as a lefty.
I also made the mistake of teaching my daughter to play pool as a lefty (she is right-handed) without even giving it a thought. She was never a consistent player, but could sink a few here and there. After a few years had gone by, my girlfriend saw us shooting pool and noticed she was shooting left-handed. I never heard the end of that one. She was immediately switched back to right and can now actually run a table halfway.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
chris288 said:
Hey guys, i'm a lefty shooter but am right eye dominant, I have been using magic dots for the last year with success, without it I see two barrels. /
It's normal to see two barrels with both eyes open - you are not focussed on the barrels, but rather on the target. Or should be.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
rhines said:
Just wondering - do you do anything right-handed (write, baseball, golf, archery, shoot pool, etc...)?
Sometimes with us lefties, being in a right-hand world can present unforeseen issues. My guitar teacher switched me from left to right at a young age, which I know in my heart that I could have been a much better/faster player if I would have been allowed to play as a lefty.
I also made the mistake of teaching my daughter to play pool as a lefty (she is right-handed) without even giving it a thought. She was never a consistent player, but could sink a few here and there. After a few years had gone by, my girlfriend saw us shooting pool and noticed she was shooting left-handed. I never heard the end of that one. She was immediately switched back to right and can now actually run a table halfway.
Yep,, shoot, throw and write lefty, bat, golf, hockey, archery right handed, i'm all over the board.. I tried to shoot both eyes open with no magic dot last weekend, I hit 4 out of 4 but saw 2 barrels the whole time...

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I know from experience that the type of sight you linked to works, but their version is overpriced. I use Easy-hit and like it a lot. It does not "cause" you to aim (only you can cause you to aim) but it does give a visual reference to where you are pointing the shotgun. People like to say that they are not aware of the barrel and the bead when they shoot, and that's great but they do have a visual reference of where the barrel is pointing. If this were not true, we could all shoot with our eyes closed. The Easy-hit allows me to concentrate on the target like I should because it gives me a visual point of reference to where the gun is pointing.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I'm glad to see some of you talking about dominant eyes. I plan to take my son, who is in his early 30's, skeet shooting for the first time over the Christmas holiday. He is right handed but left eye dominant. Will an inexperienced shooter have any problems because of this? What adjustments do you make?

·
Registered
236 Posts
mike windsor said:
I'm glad to see some of you talking about dominant eyes. I plan to take my son, who is in his early 30's, skeet shooting for the first time over the Christmas holiday. He is right handed but left eye dominant. Will an inexperienced shooter have any problems because of this? What adjustments do you make?
I would definitely recommend he shoot left-handed.

Nobody asked this (yet), but just in case someone reading this thread isn't sure how to tell which eye is dominant:

Open both eyes and put your thumb up at arms length aimed at an object. Close one eye at a time with the other open and you will notice that your thumb will stay aimed at the object when you have your dominant eye open. A very small percentage of people have equal eyes, most of us have one dominant over the other.

·
Registered
526 Posts
mike windsor - In general, it will be far better to have the gun on the same shoulder as the dominant eye. For someone who is just beginning, it will seem natural - because it is! Shooting left handed will mean he has to cope with top levers on breaking guns which are inconvenient, but since this is a visual sport he will have a tremendous advantage in being able to rely on his dominant eye. In the end though, were he my son, I would explain the options and let him experiment and make the final decision for himself, and then support that 100%.

If, as sera ressell mentions, it turns out he has balanced vision, then I would suggest a piece of Removable Magic Tape on the left lense of his shooting glasses, or going (as I have) to a side-by-side with a splinter fore-end - the heel of the left thumb gets in the way of the left eye from seeing the muzzles = end of problem.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I think it could be an option for some and could cause problems for others. Just depends on how dominant your dominant eye is. I think that closing one eye just before shooting is almost always the best solution. Use both eyes to pick up and track the target, and one eye to engage the target.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I have the Easyhit sight on my SuperSport and Nova.

I am definitely happy with the results. Over time all of my shotguns will have it. I like the smaller diameter sight for longer barrels as if it is too far away the larger one allows me to see a piece of the bead with the wrong eye. I am equally eye dominant so, my eyes literally switch back and forth. This has helped much.

It Looks like this:
or

as it comes in those two sizes and one in between.
It also comes in different sizes:

and, two different colors: Red Orange or Green.

·
Registered
7,643 Posts
I think I'm with Kevin...me, I can't do squat left handed and trying to go lefty with my gun would cause more problems than it solves.

In the meantime, an occluder (small piece of tape or magic dot product that the original poster cited) works quite well if placed properly. To me, its a clear advantage over closing one eye as I still retain peripheral vision and, to a great extent, steroscopic vision....just not at the end of the barrel (this is the properly placed part).

For the guy taking the new shooter out, I would just put a 1/2 piece of tape on his left lens. Do it like you do gun fitting checks, make sure everybody agrees that the gun is empty, have him mount the gun (this assumes he has a good and reproducible gun mount), and have him point it at your face...you can then see where his left eye is aimed on the lens and that's where the tape goes...it does not have to be a pirate patch...like I said, 1/2 of scotch or black elec tape does the job fine.

Also, there are many for whom the test cited above for eye dominance will result in the conclusion that there are no dominance problems when in fact there may be. For example, all known tests say that I am right eye dominant...works fine for the first round or so. Then with use and perhaps fatigue, my left eye comes into play on low house targets (skeet) where I am looking over this big honking barrel. The result is that after a while I can smoke a low 8 by shooting what I perceive to be about 4 " BEHIND it! This is a case of almost equal eye dominance (really hardly any dominance at all) so my primary eye will switch on my.

Occluder (patch) works good and takes the guessing out of the perceived leads, shows me a more clear lead in a game like skeet, and I'm not working to remember to squint or close my eye while shooting.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
alright, I guess i'm doing the right thing with the magic dot, it works very well... I know i'm giving up a bit of pheripheral vision, was just looking for another solution and thought the sight might help.. My eye dominance does seem to switch at times also so i'll just keep on keepin on..

·
Registered
236 Posts
chris288 said:
alright, I guess i'm doing the right thing with the magic dot, it works very well... I know i'm giving up a bit of pheripheral vision, was just looking for another solution and thought the sight might help.. My eye dominance does seem to switch at times also so i'll just keep on keepin on..
Here's something I didn't know about until now. From the Wenig website
"Crossover Stocks - The Wenig Crossover stocks are designed for either the right hand shooter who shoots with his left eye, or for the left hand shooter who shoots with his right eye. Dimensions will vary depending on the shooter's needs. For best results, these stocks should be custom-fit to the individual."

·
Registered
393 Posts
Is this AA, i have a problem. Left eye right side. Grew up not knowing and somehow adjusted, because was not a bad shot. As the years passed I got not very good ( now 68 yrs. ) and bad. Feel embarrased on dove field. Still do ok on quail and such going away. I have tried everything. What i'm trying now is keeping both eyes open, and sick of the 2 barrels. I know don't look at the barrels but at target. So far it's not working ie shoulder gun look at target, then when i close my left eye to check the point it is to the left. I think I will start shooting alot of skeet and just maybe the ole me might make a comeback. Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I am right handed, left eye dominant. I was an athletic kid but could not hit a baseball (batted right handed). I never could hit anything with a shotgun until I read Brister's book and discovered the eye dominance issue. I switched to shooting left handed in my mid 40s and it made a huge difference. Now, I can't even imagine mounting the gun on the right. If you are only shooting clays, then the dot/tape solution is fine. If you are a hunter, do you really want to fool with that in the field?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.