Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if there are any avid crow hunters here, but if there are I have quite a few questions for you. I am really interested in crow hunting...it sounds really fun. My first questions is about these black birds we have here....I say black birds because i'm not sure if they are crows....we call them grackals. I live in Corpus Christi, Texas...that is south Texas if you don't know. I want to know if these "grackals" are crows or what? they are totally black and I see them hanging out Crows a lot. They have the same characteristics as crows....that is calls, behaviour, and what not. Any imput would be helpful...And if anyone lives in South Texas and could tell me when Crow season is down here that would be even better!!

Until then Trap will have to do!!

G

·
I don't know what these birds are, but I don't think we have a crow season down here. That would be nice though, I see more of those black birds than doves.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Those are not crows. Crows are bigger and don't have such a long tail relative to their body size. I think those grackles spend winters in south Texas, then migrate north for the summer although I'm sure not all of them leave. Noisy buggers tho, aren't they?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes they are Mckie...I think they are one of the different species of crows...I was reading about crows on crowbusters.com and I soon realized grackals act just like crows and they have to be in the same family somewhere since they are both all black. They mentioned 4 kinds of crows on the website...I think grackals are the last breed they mentioned...I'll find that agian and post the name of them. Any more info on crow seasons in South Texas would be great if anyone knows...although I think I will have to just resort to going to a TPWD place and ask them in person. I have read through the Annual booklet a couple of times and no answers there...

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes they are Mckie...
I was refering to them being annoying...not being crows...I just speculate they are crows I would not blatently contradict you like that.

Here is the info...I didn't think I would find it this fast lol...

Here is a little caption about then...this is taken from the Crowbusters web site... http://www.crowbusters.com/facts.htm (my english teacher would be proud of me citing my research :))

Name: Tamaulipas Crow (Mexican)

This species is a 15" crow with a soft, croaking voice issuing a "gar-lic" sound. They, typically, live in the arid, open country of Northwest Mexico and South Texas. Quite a population is reported near Brownsville, Texas. They nest low in shrubs and native tree species like the mesquite.

I dunno about you McKie...but that sounds like a grackal to me...too bad they don't have a picture on the website...I'll just have to ask an official I guess.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.