Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Guys... crow hunting is the best wing shooting in the world. Every farmer wants you to rid him of these back varmints, many States used to pay 'bounties' on crows, crows kill more ducks than all duck hunters combined AND....there is a great crow hunters association...and website with bulletin board and chat room...for anyone who is serious about crow hunting/shooting...or learning everything they ever wanted to know and more. It is www.crowbusters.com Check it out. Skip

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
Skip, it seems I've heard of your crow hunting prowess, you wouldn't happen to have any pics of a crow having a high-speed comeapart would you? it might make nice wallpaper for my desktop..

·
Registered
187 Posts
skip woody said:
AND....there is a great crow hunters association...and website with bulletin board and chat room...for anyone who is serious about crow hunting/shooting...or learning everything they ever wanted to know and more. It is www.crowbusters.com Check it out. Skip
That is a FASCINATING web site!

My God, look at this pic! That's 10 across, and how many deep (looks to be 30 or 40)?!?! Yeaowwww!

After reading a little of the web site, I've just gotta' ask though - It appears that most Crow hunters do NOT clean and cook their kill (although the web site does include numerous recipes). So do all those Crow carcasses in that pic above go into the trash, or what?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Tom: Yep, there are a few ways to cook crow...even on the barbee.. but most folks only eat crow figuratively...not literally. With those birds subject to West Nile infection, the barbee would have to be near metal fusion temps for me to eat one. To answer your question, those birds were not cleaned or eaten by humans. I have taken, however, lots of crows to people who do eat them. Left alone critters of the night will make short work of the carcasses. I have seen 300 birds left in a cow pasture at dusk simply disappear by morning. If you are from the school " Don't shoot it if your are not going to eat it"... I doubt you would like crow shooting. But remember, crows kill more song birds, ducks and geese than you can ever imagine...by eating the eggs or the very young. I have no simpathy for the black bandits.

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
Not to mention the eggs and young pheasants and quail they eat.

Skip I think you guys are missing a great opportunity to blast coyotes and other varmints off the dead piles, sounds like a double-your-fun situation... kinda like catching Bluegill to cut up for catfish bait.

G

·
MSCOTT said:
Anyone here do any crow hunting in the off-seasons? If not, you should. Lots of fun!
nov 1,st we start here in MO.been reloadin and buying shells from the last day last year. My brother-in-law his son-in-law and my selfwent in jan 2003 froze are but off .but we shot over 350 shells .we had the best time in years .ps we did not harvest any where near 350 birds thought. but had a lot of fun burnin powder :lol:

G

·
****** said:
MSCOTT said:
Anyone here do any crow hunting in the off-seasons? If not, you should. Lots of fun!
nov 1,st we start here in MO.been reloadin and buying shells from the last day last year. My brother-in-law his son-in-law and my selfwent in jan 2003 froze are but off .but we shot over 350 shells .we had the best time in years .ps we did not harvest any where near 350 birds thought. but had a lot of fun burnin powder :lol:
sorry i forgot to tell you I live in northeast MO .this is the first time i have been to this site but it sure won,t be the last.. thanks for the great infoon crows .******

·
Registered
123 Posts
Did you know crows are one of the smartest birds? I watched one that learned to drop nuts on the street and wait for a car to run it over. Then they ate the nuts. The coolest part... They droped it form a stop light on to the crosswalk. Then they flew down to the curb and waited for the cross walk to turn so it was safe to get the nut without getting smashed...

I will never kill a Crow.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I haven't seen a crow in years. The last time was at my moms in GA. When I first got to Cali I saw ravens, I didn't know they were ravens, I thought they were super-sized crows. :lol:
I also found out they are protected by the state... :shock:

·
Registered
101 Posts
There are a ton of crows here in south Texas!! But I don't know when the season is, if there is even one! Some one lemme know if you know when the season is in Texas/South Texas!!

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
From the Texas Parks and Wildlife site.
"Yellow-headed, red-winged, rusty, or Brewer's blackbirds and all grackles, cowbirds (does not include cattle egret), crows, or magpies may be controlled without a federal or state depredation permit when found committing or about to commit depredations on ornamental or shade trees, agricultural crops, livestock, or wildlife, or when concentrated in numbers and in a manner that constitutes a health hazard or other nuisance."

·
Registered
101 Posts
So I can only shoot grackals in self-defense huh? That pretty much means no hunting I guess :( I think what I will do is wash my car then park in under my friends tree out in the country and wait....

·
Registered
222 Posts
pumper said:
From the Texas Parks and Wildlife site.
"Yellow-headed, red-winged, rusty, or Brewer's blackbirds and all grackles, cowbirds (does not include cattle egret), crows, or magpies may be controlled without a federal or state depredation permit when found committing or about to commit depredations on ornamental or shade trees, agricultural crops, livestock, or wildlife, or when concentrated in numbers and in a manner that constitutes a health hazard or other nuisance."
Couple of interesting words here. "other nuisance", all that noise they make is a real nuisance! "found committing or about to commit depredations" I swear they were about to eat the crops. Not to mention they were about to depradate that tree I was sitting under. :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.