Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cliffnotes: The crew of a cruise ship attacked by pirates off the coast of Somalia used a sonic weapon to help ward off the attackers, the Miami-based Seabourn Cruise Line said Monday.

The device blasts earsplitting noise in a directed beam.

The Seabourn Spirit escaped Saturday's attack also by shifting to high speed and changing course, the cruise line said.

The sonic device, known as a Long Range Acoustic Device, or LRAD, is a so-called "non-lethal weapon" developed for the military after the 2000 attack on the USS Cole in Yemen as a way to keep operators of small boats from approaching U.S. warships.

Source

Kinda interesting to find out how they turned the pirates away. When I first heard about it, I had a feeling that there had to be more to it than the cruise ship outrunning the pirates. I wonder how effective the that device was. Another good example of military technology going to the commerical side and saving lives.

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
Now you gotta wonder if the future effectiveness of this "weapon" is compromised by making it public. :roll: Would some type of hearing protection render it useless?

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
ShootingStar said:
Would some type of hearing protection render it useless?
I'm sure Bose will market their noise-cancelling headphones as capable of keeping the noise out! :shock: :?

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ShootingStar said:
Now you gotta wonder if the future effectiveness of this "weapon" is compromised by making it public. :roll: Would some type of hearing protection render it useless?
Good Point SS, though as like anything it would have become public eventually. Though I think they might have gotten a few more uses outta it, dont think the pirates would have cried to their fellow pirates/terrorists about how crewmembers on a cruise ship kicked their butts :D

·
Registered
317 Posts
And a cruise ship is doing what off the coast of Somolia?

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
danurve said:
And a cruise ship is doing what off the coast of Somolia?
Surprisingly it was on a cruise to Kenya, dont think there's enough in that part of the world for me to fork up the money for a cruise...but hey, maybe thats just me :?

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Casual Shooter said:
ShootingStar said:
Would some type of hearing protection render it useless?
I'm sure Bose will market their noise-cancelling headphones as capable of keeping the noise out! :shock: :?
I saw them do this type of thing on MythBusters . . . looking for the "brown note," the tone that would make you soil your pants if you hear it.

Basically, it's not just the sound, because the noise is at several ohms lower that what the human ear can hear. The pain comes from the sound waves going into your body. Ever sit in a car that had a subwoofer behind the seat? The vibrations are quite uncomfortable.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.