Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the current options (contemporary manufacture) for the 16 gauge? I know Remington has several models available, but unfortuanately they are on 12 gauge frames. So few gunmakers seem to offer the 16.

I am beging research on purchase of a new SxS or OU field gun exclusively for upland use, and 16 gauge is my preference.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Ithaca makes the 37 on a 16 gauge frame. The Rem 16s are too heavy for a 16 IMHO.

If it's a SxS you're after, you've got several choices for new guns. All of the familiar Spanish makers (AyA, Grulla, Ugartechea, Arrizabalaga, etc) still make 16s, as do most of the makers who make bespoken guns in England, Italy, Belgium and France, but they're far and away out of my price range. Personally, if I had the cash and were in the market for a new, off the shelf 16, it'd be a Merkel 1620, which is a SxS 16 made on a 20 gauge frame.

I used to own a 16 gauge Ugartechea Grade IV SLE I bought at Lion Country Supply that I liked a lot and which I very much regret selling. Great little gun for the money.

G

·
I just went through the process. You didn't state a price. I was looking for an inexpensive 16 gauge preferably sxs, and where I live (small town AZ) examples were hard to find. The Russian guns Baikal make both a ou and sxs, Stoeger makes the uplander sxs. Charles Daily has an ou. Hugula's through Armsco, or DeHaan Guns have both the ou and sxs. Search these names here and you will get all kinds of opinions.

I was going to buy the Stoeger, actually held it, then I compared the Baikal and stoeger 12's and liked the baikal (lighter). I believe 16's are both built on 12 gauge frames. Then out of the blue I ordered a Dehaan SO, it's a nice gun built on a 16 gauge frame. It weighs about the same as my ithica 37, I'm pleased with my purchase.

There are probably more options out there look at the manufactures link on this web site.

Good luck, this site and the web in general help looking very easy as long as you have time to sit infront of the computer, 16's are still hard to find.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the responses.

The Browning citori in 16 gauge certainly sounds promising; however, I didn't find it on the Browning website, so where does one find them? Anyone have the 16 gauge citori, and if so, reviews??? The Rizinni also looks interesting.

The Ugartechea looks like a definate possibilty in the SxS category as well. As for the Merkel, I'm not sure I'd actually want to use it in the field...

Any suggestions on where to go to look at various models would be great - I am hesitant to order from a website, sight unseen.

As to stating a price, I didn't because I am trying to get a feel for what is available in a variety of catagories. I am trying to determine how much am I can justify spending on a gun that will likly see heavy field use in some nasty conditions. (Inclement weather = excellent day for hunting and fishing!!!)
Hard call to make when you don't have a starting point.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Run a search for Bill Hicks & Co. regarding the 16 gauge Citoris - many of them were a special order for them. You may also be able to order some of the 16 ga. Citoris from the Bill Hanus website, but I don't believe the Superlight Feather (the only one I know of with a straight grip) is available there.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I own a 16 Citori with a straight grip, and it's not a Superlight Feather. Good gun, but for the money I spent, I would have excpected a little cast off in the stock. I bought mine at Cabela's. Crappy wood, too. I wasn't expecting a lot of figure, but some straight grain would have been nice. Reminded me of the birch that Ruger uses on their 10/22. Other than the wood, great gun and no problems so far. I've seen a couple of the Citori 16s for sale on Gunbroker and/or GunsAmerica lately, going for around $1200 or so.

Unless you're in a gun-rich area, you may have to buy sight unseen. However, all of the reputable dealers offer inspection periods, and most of the used gun sites require sellers to offer one, but I always ask before committing.

Look at www.lcsupply.com for the Uggies. I believe they're selling Grulla now, too. Another good site, among others, for "Golden Age" shotguns is www.vintagedoubles.com. They had a few 16s last I looked.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.