Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a M12 Winchester that I've owned since 66. It's an old shotgun, according serial numbers it was built in the late 20's. Sometime along the way someone stuck a Cutts Compensator on it. It' always seemed to shoot ok.

What are the drawbacks to the Cutts other than it's appearance? If it was removed the barrel length would be on the short side so I don't think that's an option. Does anyone rebarrel M12s?

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Aside from being as ugly as a toad, there's nothing wrong with the Cutts Compensator. It's the early equivalent of a ported barrel with screw-in chokes.

If you want to rebarrel a Model 12, try Simmons.

·
Registered
8,214 Posts
Chances are it was the factory that put it on....

If you want a different barrel, you can always go to the auction sites , they usually have some up for bids or you can go to Numriches. Personally I like the Cutts on the end of a gun.

·
Registered
541 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
I don't know about where you live, but around here the old timers pay big bucks for them. Nothing wrong with them except they are a little on the large side, and they're pretty loud. just my 2cents though!

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
"Old timers", Jag, I think I qualify in that catagory.

Anyway I've already learned something, I'd been told I couldn't get new chokes for the Cutts, thanks to one of you, I know that's not true.

I really don't have a big problem with the thing other than it's appearance but then again it has that retro appeal, right? My chokes were getting pretty worn after 35years of my use and who knows how many years of use by others. So I'll get some new chokes for the old girl.

The past few years I've used my Ruger Red Label 20 for pheasants but I'd like to go back to the Model 12 for the late season birds who are a little bit wiser. Thanks for your opinions and ideas.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts