Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night I made a mistake. While wasting time at the local Spotsmans Warehouse I grabbed ahold of a Browning Cynergy Sporting. To my great suprise the gun fit me extremely well. Now I've got a nasty little buy me worm crawling around in the empty jug attached to my shoulders.

So like every good googler I ran around the internet until I'm a bit confused. The Cynergy field and the Sporting look to be virtually identical ..... Well except for the fancy chokes, the Hi-Vis front sight, the 30" & 32" barrels, the stupid flying clay engraving, slightly nicer wood and the ported barrels. Non of those things are important to me. But, the Sporting ($2550.00) is almost $1000 more than the field ($1600.00). I suppose this sort of question gets very old after a while, but is the Sporting basicly any different from the Field model? The Sporting does offer more but $1000.00 more?

PS - I suppose I should have posted this in the Browning section, but I wanted people to see the question. Thanks

·
Registered
402 Posts
A couple questions....

1. What do you intend to do with the gun? Hunting or clays?

2. Are you looking at a wood or composite stock?

3. What are you shooting now?

I ask these questions because they allow you to determine if the extra $1k is worth it to you. I bought the Sporting because I wanted it for clays and the 32" bbls were a must for me. If you are ok with a 28" gun, then you can buy a nice set of ext. chokes for a whole lot less than $1K. If it is for hunting, then I would go with the field model, but if it is for clays, then you have to decide if the added features on the Sporting are worth it.

JJ

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I purchased the field model simply because the barrels were not ported. Everything else is the same, except the chokes...you can order the Diana Grade chokes if you like the gold ends.

My Mossberg 835 has ports, they are a pain to clean and cause others around you to double up on their hearing protection. Never did see a reduction in barrel rise with them.

Thats my own personal opinion, several others swear by them, but I can live without porting.

Bob

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
jasontjames - You are right I was non-specific.

1 - My intended use would be for shooting the various clays games. Right now I'm focused on Skeet with an occasional 5-stand and possibly Sporting Clays thrown in for good fun. Trap is simply not my cup of tea, but I will take the occasional new shooter out so they can bust a few.

2 - Stock material. Sort of a moot point because both the field and the sporting guns come in wood and plastic stocks. I'm flexable but lean toward wood on a competition gun. A plastic stock seems so unecessary when on the clays field.

3 - What am I shooting now. My main skeet gun is a Remington 3200, the barrels are 26", kind of short, but the birds don't seem to care about what is popular in barrel fashion these days. Occasionally I shoot my Classic Doubles 101 20ga but that is mostly my field gun. There is actually no need for a new gun, I liked the feel of the Cynergy in my hands, the nice tight barrel configuration with its short breach and the idea of the extra strong looking barrel hinge appeals to me.

Like I wrote before, non of the obvious extra features appeal to me and I can buy the fancy chokes or some like them myself. Is there something I'm missing, something I can't see that increases the over the counter price of these guns? It's hard for me to justify a $1,000 for a few inches of barrel, some holes drilled in the barrel tubes (I'm not a big fan of porting), a $5 front sight and slightly nicer wood on a gun that has funky wood to begin with. It would be hard to convince me that it costs a big company like Browning more than a few dollars for the entire up graded package.

·
Registered
439 Posts
1) short barrels are popular for skeet

2) sell one of your other guns to rationalize the new one...

3) sell it at a good price to me :D

·
Registered
100 Posts
Look at the weight of the two guns. Sometimes there's up to a pound difference between the field models, and the sporting models. Browning's are usually fairly close, but the Beretta's can vary a lot.

Buck,

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Only 1 to 3 ounces difference in the Cynergy models...that isn't going to help you decide!

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
IMHO The 30" sporting model is they way to go for field and sporting/skeet. I have one and the way the gun is designed makes it quick handling in the field and on the course. I am very happy with mine, and plan to add sub ***** tubes for skeet. I am also in the process of getting a 32" Cynergy Composite for my main sporting gun.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
But a $1000.00 more for a 30" barrel that is only 2" longer than a 28" field gun? I can buy extended chokes, port the barrels and put on the Hi-vis sights for a hell of a lot less money. I don't even want the ported barrels. What I'm comming away with here is that the guts of the gun are the same. It seems to me that Browning is taking advantage of the Clay shooters by offering a few cosmetic gadgets designed to suck us in, then charging us considerably more than they are worth to have them on our gun. I like the gun and I like the extra length barrels but hate feeling like I'm being taken advantage of. Besides the fact that I'm a working stiff and $1000.00 is hard to come by.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
They're comming out with a redesigned version of the Cynergy in 2006, going to have the same stock as a 525. They will still be offering the current stocked model, might lower prices a little.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Bobshouse said:
They're comming out with a redesigned version of the Cynergy in 2006, going to have the same stock as a 525. They will still be offering the current stocked model, might lower prices a little.
This is interesting info. Where did you find out about the more traditional Cynergy models for 2006?

Thanks!
Tom

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Called Browning. People were posting about Cynergy Series 1 and Series 2 guns, wanted to find out what the difference was. The rep on the phone told me about the new stocks, should be in the 2006 catalogue.

Bob

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have a Cynergy 28" field model that I use for 5-stand and sporting clay ... works great for those sports. When I bought my Cynergy, the sporting clay model hadn't come out yet but I probably would have chosen the field model for the same reasons you've given mjm. Just can't see spending an extra $1000 for a few extra features that aren't important to me.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I redropped into the store to handle a 28" field model. Wouldn't you know it, they only had a 26" field on the rack. When I said what I wanted and why I wanted it, the salesman started to tell me all about how the Browning Cynergy factory burned down and the Cynergy's would be hard to find. I guess .... Well I know he was implying that I should purchase the 26" gun because the 28's would be impossile to get. The guy was likeable enough but I went away with the thought in my largely empty head that he was pulling a classic saleman ploy on me.

So, what have you fellas heard about the fatory burning and should it actually make the cynergy difficult to find?

By-the-way .....Adirondack - Where are you from. I've got some serious roots in Westport New York. Most of my family is buried there going back many generations. I miss the heck out of it, but I also need to make a living which you couldn't do in Essex County.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Contact Bryan Bornes at Able Ammo in Texas. Or Tex-pro guns.com. They got anything model you want. No sales tax and free shipping.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
True - True, I know of several online purchasing oppertunities, some even beat Able Ammo for price, but finding an FFL that will receive a NEW gun is not that easy to come by. Besides I like to keep things as local as possible and technicaly you do need to pay the sales tax, but you need to send it in on the honor system to your state government ...... Sure sure I know it doesn't happen much, but its supposed to.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Gunbroker.com will line you up with an FFL. But if you enjoy paying tax, be my guest.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I didn't exactly say that I wanted to pay the tax, but the government is looking hard at online purchases, unfortunately some sort of enforced tax system is deffinately comming to online sales, its only a matter of time.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts