Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a side by side event after the main 100 at our monthly Sporting Clays shoots and I have always like SxS's. My first shotgun was a Universal SxS so it just comes naturally that I have a good one. After much looking, I bought a CZ Ringneck 12ga 28". This is a really nice gun for under $1000. It fits me great right out of the box. I haven't shot it yet but after the Turkey coma subsides I will be out to the club tomorrow to try it out. My Beretta Angleport choke tubes fit nicely. I have the .010" and .015" screwed into place and waiting. If it shoots where I look, it will be deadly on anything that moves........I'll let you know how it shoots tomorrow. The fit and finish of this gun are very nice, it's what you would expect from a much more expensive double or O/U.
Mark

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, other than an extremely heavy trigger pull I am very satisfied with my new CZ Ringneck. A trigger job will fix this. I ran 150, 1 oz reloads and 25 7/8 oz reloads thru the CZ with no problems. I personally give it a solid thumbs up, Mark.

·
Registered
4,383 Posts
I respectfully disagree with those who think the Ringneck is a good solid gun. I've seen too many of them break. My brother bought one and it's been the worst gun he's ever had. It lasted a few boxes of shells and the firing pin broke. CZ replaced the gun and #2 did the same thing within 300 rounds. CZ replaced the gun and the safety broke on #3, but not before it started to double. He's now on Ringneck #4, but he's afraid to shoot it and is unable to sell it. It's great that CZ replaces the guns, but what good is an unreliable gun in the first place? Hate to be 2000 miles from home in the middle of SD hunting birds and the gun just goes "click"!

Additionally, the triggers on all of the guns were just plain terribly heavy and mushy. Of the dozen or so Ringnecks I've had close contact with, only one remained trouble free, but it's only a matter of time for that one. Those guns are (IMO of course) little more than pigs in dresses. Nice wall hangers from a distance, maybe.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
SS,

You are the first to post that I have read that has personal experience with problems, so I appreciate and respect your opinion. Most that post are hearsay.

I have never had a problem with mine and while being a little blocky (sure not the slim wristed Ugartechea to be sure) it is solid and easy to shoot. I really like the black chrome on the outside as I bought mine to use as a foul weather gun.

If I ever have a problem, I will sure post it ASAP here, but to date: reliable and tough.

·
Registered
4,383 Posts
Do some searches, here and elsewhere. You will see numerous accounts of breakage related to firing pins, as well as safety problems, complaits of heavy triggers and other smaller issues. There have also been some posts suggesting that Huglu has corrected the firing pin problem, but I have no confirmation of this. Pays to know all you can when buying any Turkish made gun so you are walking into the deal with your eyes open.

G

·
Huglu and CZ firing pin issues are solved. Safety issue is solved. Trigger pull remains heavy. Warranty is lifetime.
The Cz/Huglu line of SxS is a revelation to the American Shotgunner both from quality and form. You can't get a better mix of metal to metal fit or metalurgy in a two-shooter today.

For the price.

This fact is why Remington imports their guns and could not build a similar gun for less than 2 grand and does not even try.
It is also why the bell tolls for American gun production.

·
Premium Member
3,301 Posts
My personal experience was playing with one before I bought it.

I too was drawn in by the nice balance and clean looks, only to be disappointed by functional issues.

Here is my post from a few months back:

SShooterZ said:
I found a nice new CZ 28 gauge SxS last weekend at Gander Mountain.

I opened it, closed it and then tried to move the safety. Didn't want to budge. Then I noticed the trigger lock left the back trigger completely exposed. So, I pulled the trigger, it moved the safety forward, and fired.

I thought it must have been jammed up or something so I tried it again. Broke it open, it cocked, closed it, couldn't move the safety, pulled the trigger which slid the safety forward and then it fired.

Weirdest thing I've ever seen and probably one of the most unsafe malfunctions I've seen.

I like their looks and feel, but I'll have to pass until I see otherwise with their mechanical quality.
Now the problem I see is, I would have to buy a new one to be assured all the "issues" have been addressed. I would also have to assume there is a serial number line where all these "fixes" have been implemented. Does anyone know what that is? Without that data, you could be buying old stock and still run into many of the same old problems.

I think I'll wait awhile until I see more and more favorable reports. I do hope they get resolved as I think the CZ fits a perfect market for a medium priced SxS but I'm not going to drop my coin until I'm convinced there are no more "issues" out there.

And just because a gun has a lifetime warranty doesn't mean I want to continually use it.

G

·
The guns with the fixes in have a new-design safety that looks like the Berreta. I own early ones in each of four gauges and have not had a mechanical issue with any of them other than the heavy trigger pull. I was told that if I have a problem send the gun back for a REPLACEMENT. (!)

What I do not like about the gun is the esthetics of the 28 and 20. Since they are screw choked (five chokes per gun!) the barrels bulge at the loud end. To my way of thinking a small bore side-by should be sleek, lithe, slim and sexy. The increased distance between bore centers makes the 28 look like a 20 and the 20 look like a 12. It also allows more room under the ribs for rust. The rib stops short of where it should on the underside near the lumps. Yet for all that the 28 at less than 5.5 pounds is a joy to carry with very compact receiver: It kicks like mule.

Not much to niggle about with the .410. Fixed chokes. I can't imagine a nicer rabbit gun for the bucks. All the guns from CZ have this gilded, rabid chicken design on the top lever which I do not go for.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
mike modelle said:
All the guns from CZ have this gilded, rabid chicken design on the top lever which I do not go for.
I was looking at that "THING", so its a gilded rabid chicken :D :D Things that make you say, Huh!!!
I shot it again saturday, other than the trigger it is smooth and quick to the target as any gun I have ever owned, that includes several K guns, Berettas and Brownings all being O/U's. Mine has the new safety that you describes and it works smoothly as a bbl selector and a safety. I'm happy with my choice. 325 shells and counting with no malfunctions :roll:

·
Registered
195 Posts
I will tell you of my first hand experiences with CZ/Huglu shotguns. My first Huglu was a U2 12 gauge O/U. The wood on this gun is great and the metal to wood fit is excellent. It was a Christmas gift during my junior year of high school. It certainly has a great deal of sentimental value and I will never sell it. It did fail on me, though. After about 250 rounds, the firing pin broke. The gun was sent back to Huglu USA and the problem was fixed. Since then I have not had one problem with this gun and I have probably put 4,000 rounds through it. I always get compliments from other shooters that see it in the gun rack. My next Huglu gun was a 20 gauge Bobwhite. I really liked this gun and I shot great with it. It handled like a dream and looked amazing. With about 200 rounds through it, the thing started to slam fire on me. Basicallly if I put a round in the right barrel and closed the action, the gun would go off. I was pretty furious about this and got all of my money back for the gun due to the serious and dangerous problem. This was in May of 2007, so fairly recent. I will not say that Huglu's are trash, but I will say that they can be a mixed bag. I hope your experience will be good as they are truly great looking guns. If you have any problems, please let us know. Happy shooting- Miller

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have a Ringneck 20 ga. with perfectly regulated barrels and drop dead wood. The externals are really nice. Also the internals seem to be sound. It has about 1600 rounds thorough it.

Even so, one of the firing pin holes is off center; It still ignites the primer, but it pierces soft primers such as Federals, on occasion. Also the chambers are rough and Federal shells expand on firing and resist opening. So I can't use Federal shells for two reasons.

These things I can live with but... then one day I noticed a crack in the wood in the top tang behind the safety. What did I shoot to deserve this, 3" magnums? No. Mostly I shot my own 3/4 0z. light loads and it still cracked. Because the wood was so nice I had the crack fixed, but have little confidence in it.

Although I may restore this one, I would not buy another.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
20 ga. said:
I have a Ringneck 20 ga. with perfectly regulated barrels and drop dead wood. The externals are really nice. Also the internals seem to be sound. It has about 1600 rounds thorough it.

Even so, one of the firing pin holes is off center; It still ignites the primer, but it pierces soft primers such as Federals, on occasion. Also the chambers are rough and Federal shells expand on firing and resist opening. So I can't use Federal shells for two reasons.

These things I can live with but... then one day I noticed a crack in the wood in the top tang behind the safety. What did I shoot to deserve this, 3" magnums? No. Mostly I shot my own 3/4 0z. light loads and it still cracked. Because the wood was so nice I had the crack fixed, but have little confidence in it.

Although I may restore this one, I would not buy another.
Wood is wood, any wood is subject to crack. I make Turkey Box Calls and its been my experiance that the more figure the more likely it is to crack. Poor fitting will make wood split also.

G

·
If you got a Ringneck with drop dead wood, brother I can guarantee you it did not come from the factory like that. Come on...fess up...you bought it used. The 800 to 1000 dollar Ringneck models I know have plain jane wood with good grain and strength finished in a disgusting mucky brown but durable poly.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Mike,

I bought it new in the box from Ahalman's in Minnesota. They do occasionally misgrade the wood and put on a nice piece. When this happens with DeHaan, he charges a little more for the gun. CZ just lets it go. I have seen a couple of others with really figured walnut as well.

20 ga.

·
Registered
475 Posts
A couple years back I also bought a CZ Ringneck in 20ga. It also had an outstanding piece of wood on the stock and forearm. The wood was beautiful. Mechanically, however, the gun was a total POS. After trading guns twice with the distributor, I sold the last new gun they sent me at a loss just to get rid of it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.