Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I SAW A SIMILAR QUESTION POSTED BUT NOT COMFORTABLE WITH THE ANSWER. CAN YOU SHOOT MODERN SHOTSHELLS THROUGH OLD DAMASCUS BARRELS IF THEY ARE IN GOOD SHAPE? IF NECESSARY, WHICH I ASSUME IT WOULD REQUIRE SOME TYPE OF PRESSURE TESTING, WHERE COULD I SEND AND OLD SXS TO ENSURE IT WAS SAFE TO SHOOT MODERN LOADS?

THANK YOU :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
NO. Demascus barrels were not designed for smokeless powder. An inner flaw or unseen metal fatugue that may have been OK for black powder but could easily blow the barrel, even with 2 3/4 dram equivalent loads.

Don't try modern shells unless you feel VERY lucky.

Rollin[/b]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
NO. Demascus barrels were not designed for smokeless powder. An inner flaw or unseen metal fatugue that may have been OK for black powder but could easily blow the barrel, even with 2 3/4 dram equivalent loads.

Don't try modern shells unless you feel VERY lucky.

Rollin

·
Registered
31 Posts
The reason modern shells cant be used is because damascus barrels are simply twisted metal. The builder makes a Wood Pole that gets smaller at the end and wraps heated metal around it. That makes the barrels vulnerable to stress and prevents the proper expulsion of modern wads, traping gas, destroying the barrel, and causing the user sever bodilly harm.

·
Registered
218 Posts
There are Damascus barrelled shotguns out there that have been pressure tested to handle the loads. You can have a gun pressure tested as well. However if it failed you could have a worthless gun. While you could use blackpowder loads in the gun and have some historic fun with it as well. Do some search on vintage shotguns and the Vintagers. They would be able to point you to proof houses and give you way more information than you ever wanted. Remember, you are trying to do something that the gun was not built to do. It may be able to, but it may fail. Don't be a test dummy!!!

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
There are "not too expensive" shells available that approximate the pressures that your gun was designed for,and operate on smokeless [modern] powders.I just ordered a case of 2 1/2" 20ga.shells,with 7/8 oz. loads, from Galazan's,for $60 plus $15 S&H. I believe I read that the pressures produced should be in the 700-800 psi range as opposed to the 1200+ psi produced by most modern shells.Many of your "VINTAGER" types use similar loads to allow themselves the enjoyment of safely shooting their old damascus guns without the cleanup problems associated with blackpowder loads.Have a competent gunsmith look your gun over first,and remember that damascus is not Latin for dangerous.
Good Luck,
Jim

1 - 7 of 7 Posts