Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an L.C. Smith hammer gun w/ damascus twist steel barrels (16 ga.). I'd like to shoot it some. Are black powder shells still available, or can I shoot modern ultra-lights thru it? :?:

·
Registered
91 Posts
GunNut,

It sounds like you are a pefect person to join the 16ga reloaders group. I think the price is $15.00 for which you will recieve dozens of pages of 16ga reloading information. Several are loads for modern powder replacement loads for black powder guns. The price is to off set the cost of the lab work needed to develop such loads. The fee is a drop in the bucket for all of the info you will recieve.

E-mail me @ [email protected] and I'll foreward it on to Russ Gray who coordinates the testing and distribution of the data.

·
1,205 Posts
There is a big difference, both in appearance and strength between twist steel and damascus steel; damascus steel is much stronger. Before shooting your 16 gauge LC Smith with either black powder or low pressure smokeless loads, it is a good idea to have it examined. Also, keep in mind that black powder loads have no less pressure, nor are they more gentle on any part of a shotgun than low pressure smokeless loads. By low pressure loads, I mean 6500 psi or lower, such as those that can be loaded using IMR PB or similar powders. I have loaded and shot more 5 lb cans of PB in damascus barrels than I care to remember; most of the shotguns were nitro-proofed damascus. I would approach the shooting of a twist steel barrelled shotgun with extreme caution. Mike Orlen

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
I'll go one further...

It is not impossible to find a twist barrel that is still sound, however the problem arises (from what I understand) in that no one can tell you whether the twists have weak spots between the coils that may take the pressure for hundreds of lods and finally fail...

I would be very gentle with a Damascus barrel, and I would not even consider shooting a twist steel barrel...

Just me...

·
Registered
162 Posts
be very very vey careful shooting anything out of those barrels. Go get a set of briley tubes and downgrade to 20g from the 16 and you'll be fine. You may have to call them to find a set that will fit a 16g.
mattyt

·
Registered
109 Posts
:D I too shoot Elcies,both damascus and steel.I love to use 410 on dove and quail but detest 410 sXs guns because they are just too light and feel more like a willow switch than a gun.
Sooo,I use 410er tubes from Savage in a damascus barreled Elcie to achieve the best of two worlds.I was fortunate enough to find a set of barrels that had been cut off to 20"s by the movie industry and so use them with the inserts.As it stands I have too many sXs shotguns,so must part with a couple to keep peace in the house.If interested,e=mail me for information. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.