Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I asked this question in general, they thought members in Reloading might know more. What I am wondering is what the dangerous distance is for shot from a 28" modified choke shooting #7.5, #8, and #9 shot from 2-3/4 and 3" shells at 1250 to 1300fps.
Any input is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Chris

·
Premium Member
19,750 Posts
That depends on how you define "dangerous". If a shotgun pellet hits a person in the eye, it could put the eye out even though the pellet wasn't traveling fast enough to break the skin on your arm or your face. I think it is best to conclude that if a shotgun pellet can hit a person at ANY speed, it is potentially dangerous.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, ill get technicial. At approximatly what distance would the shot drop to the ground, assuming it was being shot level with the ground?

·
Registered
55 Posts
On Dove Hunts I have had shot fall down on me like rain from Hunters across the field...say 150yds +or - with hunters using 7-1/2 to 8 shot. It didn't hurt...felt like sleet.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I was involved in a case involving a hunt/shooting club and some neighbors trying to shut them down a few years ago. The issue of "shot fall" was addressed becuase the shot was "raining down" on the neighbors. As I recall lead shot has a maximum range of 250 yards. Oddly enough, steel shot has a maximun range of 400 yards. I ask what the diffence was since steel is knwo not to have good killing power over 60 yards on waterfowl, so why would it carry so much further. I was told the distance was due to the fact that steel shot retains it's round shape and thus cariies futher but at a lower velocity. Perhaps someone with some true balistic knowledge out there can provide some actual facts on this.

APEXDUCK

G

·
Shotgun Sports Magazine recently published the following on max. lead shot travel. This is based on the gun being at 30 deg. elevation;
#9 160 yds
8 180-190
7.5 210
6 240
4 280
3 310
2 330
1 350:D

V/R Tony G.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Journee's Formula states that the approximate range (in yards) of shot fired in a standard shot load from a full choke gun is equal to 2200 multiplied by the shot diameter in inches. As an example, the approximate range of #7 shot is 2200 x 0.1 = 220 yards. This formula is said to also work for full calibre round balls from non-rifled barrels.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Journee's Formula states that the approximate range (in yards) of shot fired in a standard shot load from a full choke gun is equal to 2200 multiplied by the shot diameter in inches. As an example, the approximate range of #7 shot is 2200 x 0.1 = 220 yards. This formula is said to also work for full calibre round balls from non-rifled barrels.

Hope this helps.

·
2,390 Posts
The National Association of Shooting Ranges gives a suggested distance for a trap field safety zone as 300 yds.

The listed max ranges for shot are:

#9 - 176 yds
#8 - 198 yds
#7.5- 209 yds

http://www.rangeinfo.org/

1 - 10 of 10 Posts