Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reloading data? There is so much data for target loads out there, you can buy a wood stove & heat your house with it! Not so much if you are looking for a load to replace the one you like that uses discontinued components or don't follow the crowd. Ditto for good bismuth or other types of non toxic loads. You are forced to create your own to some degree. It would be nice if it was there but, it isn't there to a degree that would satisfy all needs. I haven't loaded buckshot in a long time but it's getting hard to find. I can cast the pellets but it is data that isn't there for good deer loads. Yea, there is data there for milk jug loads & bedroom self defense loads but not for deer size game. There is also data that is taylored to sell you their products. I lack confidence in such data & data from self proclaimed experts. First, a decent buckshot deer load needs to be buffered & it needs to put 5 or more Large buckshot in the vitals. Over the years, I have found "00" & "000" usually track straighter & pattern tighter, actually putting more pellets on target in many cases than smaller pellet loads with more shot! You have to pattern your buckshot! What you see is what you get! Small pellets are cripplers & wounders in my experience! The stupidest thing I ever read was to remove the petals from a wad with soft shot that is prone to deformation! I will change my mind when I see verifyable evidence that proves the contrary. I'll remove the pedals when I see such a load consistently pattern as well as a good buffered load with shot protection!
Always remember when you shoot buckshot, it's buckshot which has limited range. It is much more important to get good patterns at practical ranges than high velocity!

·
Registered
90 Posts
There is a gentleman on Youtube that goes by 'Bubbaroundtree' has/did have several videos detailing buckshot load development. Videos may be gone as YouTube is frowning on reloading videos.

Good Luck,
Fred

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is a gentleman on Youtube that goes by 'Bubbaroundtree' has/did have several videos detailing buckshot load development. Videos may be gone as YouTube is frowning on reloading videos.

Good Luck,
Fred

Good Luck,
Fred
Yea, maybe you have contact info. for BOZO THE CLOWN as well! Isn't he the one that patterns buckshot at up to 80 yds.? Regarding youtube or dingleberry tube, I boycott anything associated with those clowns, google or microcrap!

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Yea, maybe you have contact info. for BOZO THE CLOWN as well! Isn't he the one that patterns buckshot at up to 80 yds.? Regarding youtube or dingleberry tube, I boycott anything associated with those clowns, google or microcrap!
Yeah, and if it hits the target it is a "good" load. He also developed a 3.5" load that a guy on predatormasters tested at 17000psi.

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, and if it hits the target it is a "good" load. He also developed a 3.5" load that a guy on predatormasters tested at 17000psi.
It is really fortunate that most shotguns will withstand much more pressure than they should ever see! They usually do it once but over & over again usually leads to things coming unglued. I like to stay within SAAMI pressure limits!

·
Registered
48 Posts
It is really fortunate that most shotguns will withstand much more pressure than they should ever see! They usually do it once but over & over again usually leads to things coming unglued. I like to stay within SAAMI pressure limits!
Yea if you are going to sub components or make your own load, pay the reasonable fee and have them pressure tested.

·
Registered
918 Posts
The OP said:
"There is also data that is taylored to sell you their products. I lack confidence in such data..."

Virtually all shotshell loading data is "...taylored to sell you their products." Including load data from powder companies!

·
Registered
756 Posts
I'd call most loading data "tailored to allow you to safely and efficiently use their products."

Without their ballistic testing and publishing, we'd be sorta like a bunch of newbees trying to sort out which part of the untested recipes on the internet actually are safe to use.

There is so much data for target loads out there, you can buy a wood stove & heat your house with it!
Being Thanksgiving Day in the US, I'll give my shout-out to the companies that provide components and loading data. Hard to get too much good, accurate loading data, in my book.

garrisonjoe

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'd call most loading data "tailored to allow you to safely and efficiently use their products."

Without their ballistic testing and publishing, we'd be sorta like a bunch of newbees trying to sort out which part of the untested recipes on the internet actually are safe to use.

Being Thanksgiving Day in the US, I'll give my shout-out to the companies that provide components and loading data. Hard to get too much good, accurate loading data, in my book.

garrisonjoe
I figured that would hit a nerve! A better question would be, how much of it is reliable & how was it tested! Was it tested by SAAMI testing procedures or was it computer generated? Any testing is better than no testing. I have paid for tons of data I no longer use or never loaded simply because it doesn't pattern well or I don't like it. Should you like it I wish you good luck with it. On a more positive note, there is a lot of reliable data out there that offers a good data base for load testing even if it does little else!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts