Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! This is a great forum with great participants! Like a good book, I can't stop reading!

My daughter is 11, 5'5"/ 130 and started shooting shotguns this year. She has an interest in sporting clays more than hunting.

She spent the summer shooting stationary clays at 25-30 yards
using a BPS Micro, AL2 and Savage 440B. All 20ga. None of the guns fit her very well except the BPS.

She ran about 4 boxes through each gun. She had no preference
for actions. The BPS recoil was a little harsh and she had alot more misses than hits. She liked the light recoil of the AL2 and
she hit about 50%. She really took to the Savage and missed only 3 times.

So, my question is.... Is the Savage 440B, 28" fixed I/M a good gun for shooting clays? Is it durable enough to be worth
having it fitted to my girl with an adjustable stock as she is still growing? Are fixed barrels a bad thing? Are there different barrels available for this gun?

Thanks, Alan

·
Registered
538 Posts
Alan,

I'm not familiar with the Savage 440 B, but anytime your youngster is interested enough to shoot with you, it's money well spent! All of the Savage firearms I've had over the years have been rock solid shooters, and have held up well to the test of time. I probably wouldn't give a second thought to adding the adjustable stock if she likes shooting it, and is comfortable with it.

- PJ

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
PastorJimmy - You're preaching to the choir! I'm always on the lookout for activities we can do together and at 50y/o I'm thinking sport shooting looks better than soccer and if she gets hooked , it will be something she can enjoy for a long time. I have only been to a gun club once about 34 years ago, but have always had a trap thrower at home. I have a farm and my girl
runs the thrower for my friends and I. After several years of that she has decided we're the ones having the real fun!

sera russell - Why a 12ga.? I know that's where sport shooters
seem to end up, but for a girl starting out wouldn't a 20ga. be OK? I also have a CZ base model O/U double trigger 28" 12ga.
but it's pretty bulky compared to the Savage. The Savage also has a mid-rib bead and I think that really helps her.

Thanks for the input. Alan

·
Registered
800 Posts
I bot my 10 year old daughter a Remington 1100 28ga. I sawed off the stock as short as I could and put on a thin recoil pad. It's a light enough gun (very important!) she can hold it up and the recoil isn't a problem.

I can add spacers to the stock as she gets bigger. She likes breaking clays with it a lot.

·
Registered
13,098 Posts
There are some very good Youth 20 gauge semi auto models that are well made and reliable.

Beretta AL391 Youth: This model is very thin and pretty light in weight at around 5.9 lbs. They balance with more weight towards the stock. They are Gas operated, have 3" chambers, and cycle a wide range of shells. They have an automatic magazine cutoff and a bolt lock lever. They also come with shims to adjust the fit of the stock. They are more complicated to clean compared to other models. They do go long periods between cleanings if needed. Price wise they are around $800.00.

Beretta 3901 RL: This model is wider than the AL391. They weigh around 6.5 lbs. They balance with more weight towards the stock. They are Gas operated, have 3" chambers, and cycle a wide range of shells. They have an automatic magazine cutoff but, no bolt lock lever. They also come with shims to adjust the fit of the stock. They are pretty easy to clean and can go long periods between cleanings if needed. They hold a total of four rounds and can't take an extension to hold more. The safety button is at the back of the trigger guard. Price wise they are around $650.00.

Browning Gold SL Micro: This model is similar in size to the 3901. They weigh around 6.25 lbs and balances with more weight towards the stock. They are Gas operated, have 3" chambers, and cycle a wide range of shells. This model has the speed load feature. They have shims available to adjust the stock. They are very easy to clean and can go long periods between cleanings. They hold five rounds total and can take an extension to hold more. The safety button is at the back of the trigger guard. Price wise they are around $750.00 and Browning has a $100.00 rebate on Golds.

Ther is also a Browning Silver Micro coming out. Pretty much the samer as the Gold with a little more weight, angled receiver, no speed load or magzine cutoff, and a lower price.

Franchi 720 Short Stock: This model is thinner like the AL391. It weighs about 5.8 lbs and balances with more weight towards the stock. They are Gas operated, have 3" chambers, and cycle a wide range of shells. This model has an automatic magazine cutoff. It's piston can be flipped around to allow more bleed of for heavier loads. They have shims to adjust the stock. They are one of the easier semi auto models to clean and can go long periods between cleanings. They hold five rounds total and can take an extension to hold more. The safety is at the back of the trigger guard. Price wise they are around $600.00

Looks like Weathrerby has a new line of semi auto's out. Included is a youth model in 20 gauge. I don't have any experince with them so I can't vouch for them.

·
Registered
464 Posts
hey, I would also recomend the remington 1100 28ga. I have been shooting for years, and I also teach shotgun shooting. Even if she is 130 lbs, the recoil of a larger gun (if you shoot more than 50 targets in a day) will more than likely be too much. Remember...at this age comfort is more important the number of targets broken.

blessings,

1 - 8 of 8 Posts