M1903A312.86%
M125.71%
Something Else12.86%
Forget the Bike and Boat, get 2 Guns!411.43%

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
In the last month, I have been promoted to Lieutenant, (Navy O-3) refinanced my house (no cash out, but saved $300/mo in interest), and recieved a large increase in Flight Pay.

I was planning on getting some stuff I had been putting off anyway, but the wife "approved" the following, making it guilt-free:

1-New stuff from my Triumph Bonneville. I plan on getting a center stand, and some decent mufflers.

2-Parts to finish fixing the boat. I'd been holding off on a new carb and intake.

and most importantly...

ANY GUN I WANT!

Here is my quandry. I currently have 2 12ga pumps, and a Marlin 60 (really her's). The rest of my collection had been sold off over the last few years when she was in college and money was tight.

Here are my thoughts in no particular order.

Option 1: I was thinking of a new 1911 style pistol, but am open to other ideas. I miss my old Series 80, and do not have any handguns at the moment, and may get stationed in a state with less than friendly gun laws.

Option 2: 16 Gauge SxS S0 DeHaan. I like SxS, don't have one, and the 16 gauge would add to the "neato" factor.

Option 3: Some sort of .30-06/.270/.308 Deer Rifle. Bolt action with a scope, other than that, not set on any one model.

Option 4: A CMP M1903A3 Springfield. Historic, uses common ammo, and Grandpa carried a sniper version in WWII.

Option 5: CMP M1. Historic, and semi-auto.

I am posting this on all 3 "world" sites.

If anyone would like to open my eyes to a gun I may not have considered, it would be greatly appreciated.

I shoot skeet, and like all forms of shooting. I do some hunting, but my job and availabity during hunting season limits what I can plan on doing, but would like to hunt more.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Thumper723 its proprietary weatherby cartridge its is 7 mm magnum i can tell you its had a barral job on it where its floted and a trigger job it was all done by weatherby.

·
Registered
5,439 Posts
Well, since you said you don't currently have a handgun, I voted for the pistol.

·
Premium Member
3,580 Posts
If you like to shoot skeet, perhaps you could buy a nice over and under B-gun.

·
Registered
368 Posts
In my opinion, you need most of them and here's why.

The 1911 is arguably the best pistol ever made. I have several and have never regretted a single one.

The deer rifle would be a must if you don't have one and plan on hunting any big game. I think the 270, while maybe not the most versatile, is the best of the three. You can kill anything in the lower 48 with it and a 130 grain bullet is perfect for deer.

The rest of them to me would be kind of a nostalgia thing. I personally have an M1 Garand, because that is what my dad carried in Korea. I got mine from CMP and it seriously doubt if my dad carried this particular rifle, but, it is possible. I know for sure that the rifle was made prior to the Korean war. Too, this rifle may have taken out some enemy soldiers so it is definately part of history.

It sounds like you have some tough decissions to make here. Good luck.

Doug Gordon

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Everyone should own at least 1 handgun, how about a 1911 in 38super, nastalgia, out of the ordinary ,and very accurate.
My 2¢ 8)

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Looking at getting a Springfield Armory GI Model 5" High Capacity.

It is a 13+1 Double stack, which looks like it will fit my hands better, as I have large hands.

Anybody know good bad or ugly on them?

I have a thread over at pistolworld, but if you are not a member there, go ahead and post here.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I've heard the sights on the GI model are pretty crappy but other then that it's a damn good pistol.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
If you don't have any handguns then you are missing out on a lot of shooting activities exclusive to handguns. It's hard to beat a fine SxS though. Not a bad problem to have. :)

·
Registered
377 Posts
every body needs a 1911 i wanted one for 20 years but something was always in the way . wife kids life in general but things are getting better in last 4 years . i talked to my local dealer about his preference he made me a deal on a springfield custom loaded that sat around to long .funny thing was it sat there and nobody wanted it in the 3 months permits took to come in he took in 4 orders for same gun . buy the best 1911 you can justifiy and dont look back

·
Registered
202 Posts
I'd go with a "nice" customed 1911, I'm not really a handgun man but I've seen beautiful works of art for not-out-of-this-world prices.

O-right, did a little foot work on other forums. Looks like Kimber (700+) or Springfield (500ish) have strong loyal followings. There's a whole slew of custom maker's so you'll just have to wade through the options if you want to go that route :D

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Picked it up today, pics to follow after santa arrives with the wife's new camera.

Taking it to the range ASAP!

·
Registered
9,193 Posts
cool cant wait to see :wink:

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
Nice looking handgun.

I can't say the same for the person holding it though. :p :lol: :lol:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts