Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just started reloading 12 gauge Win AA hulls on a Ponsness Warren 950 elite that was given to me. My question is the final crimp looks deep to my uneducated eye but the shell didn't bulge. When I reloaded on my old MEC 600 Jr if the final crimp was set to deep it would bulge/bend the loaded hull. Can you crimp too deep? Also I have many different AA Hulls from the Super Sport (Grey) to Light (Red) Extra Lite(Red) and Super Pigeon(Red) the grey and light (red) don't seem to crimp the same as the Extra Lite and Super Pigeon hulls(These look like brand new loads when finished, other than what seems to me as a deep crimp) the grey and light will have 1-2 pellets(7.5's) fall out, is this normal? Shouldn't all AA hulls come out the same? Thanks for answering these questions.

Nate B
[email protected]

·
Registered
109 Posts
Nate,
Are you aware that there are two styles of the AA hull? The older ones are of the one-piece base design whereas the newer ones are two-piece. The newer ones require that the crimp starter be lowered to get enough material folded in to completely close the crimp. I am very familiar with the loader you are using having used one for some time. I am now using a 900 with the full length sizing dies. If you truly feel that the crimp is too deep you can very easily adjust it upward. Follow the instructions in the owners manual or call them for advise.
Once adjusted to your satisfaction you can load both the new and old styles of AA's with no problems. You should also be able to load the Remington STS hulls w/out changing the settings.
In answer to your question as to whether or not you can crimp too deep, sure. This would result in too much material to be folded in. Be aware that there is more than one crimp adjustment to be made on the Ponsness you are using. I have found on mine that not putting as much taper on the "nose" of the shell results in several more loadings before splitting occurs.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You should try to have your crimps be the same as a new shell - Idealy .055" deep (measured fro the top of the crimp tothe lowest part of the criimp) which can be measured by using a depth gauge or the backside of a simple set of calapers. At any rate, less crimp than that and you don't give the powder time to build up to the correct pressures and MORE than that and the time is extended and the shell developes MORE pressure than it should. Shoot for a crimp depth of .055 inches - no more no less.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts