Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 870 with a 21" smoothbore deer bbl on it. I'm thinking of taking it with me coyote hunting for some of the close shots, <30yds. How would this pattern with say #4 buckshot ? I'm afraid it may be too open. I will test it 1st chance i get.
Any help appreciated.
Anyone use a shotgun on coyotes? What tpye of loads?

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry, I should've mentioned this is an older wingmaster with fixed choke. There is no choke marked on the bbl so I assume it is cylinder bore. Thanks for your replys.

·
Registered
12,198 Posts
It's a dead dog with 4-buck, even with cylinder, I never could get 4-buck to do well with anything tighter than mod, IC is good to 50 plus yards and a good pattern-----though I haven't shot alot of it, mostly out of a Piper Cub.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I like the short bbl shotguns for turkey and varmin. It will do great.. I prefer anything in 3" If it will take 'em. 00 Buck to #4 will do the trick.

have a great time

·
Banned
1,108 Posts
You won't know what the choke is until you measure it. You won't know what the pattern is unless you put it on paper. Even so, I would not want to be a coyote on the receiving end anywhere under 50 yards. If it's too open for you, there are plenty of used bbls around for that gun.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.