Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a newbie to the group.I have hunted rabbits and grouse in WV with a very old 16 gauge 870 for years.I moved to VA &the county I live in is shotgun only for deer.So I found a Ithica m37 deerslayer(I am a sucker for anything John Browning had a hand in)The shotgun just screams smooth quality workmanship I love it.The stock is marbled and looks like it should have been on a fine English double. the forearm is round with groves.The reciever and magazine tube are parkerised & the barrel is blue with (Rifle sights ,the front orange) and stamped DEERSLAYER model 37- Featherweight-12 GA-2 3/4 Chamber -proof Tested Ithicagun co,inc,Ithica,N.Y.-made in U.S.A.Roto.The reciver only has the serial number of MAG-870011831 on it.I really like this shotgun and the quality of American workmanship. My question is the barrell is 19 " and appears to be smooth ,What is the choke on the barrel.Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Welcome to Shotgunworld!!!

I believe Ithaca made the smooth Deerslayer barrels in a true cylinder choke,with different interior barrel dimensions than their bird barrels. This gives the smooth bore Deerslayer barrels darn good accuracy with foster slugs out to about 75 yards. Beyond that I am much more comfortable with the fully rifled Deerslayer barrels with sabot slugs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the information.Were I live in VA we have to use buckshot only so I picked up a couple of boxes of 00 and will check the pattern at various distances this evening or tomarrow.

·
Registered
649 Posts
If it is cylinder,then Buckshot won'tbe good beyond 15 yards. Perhaps the Dixie Tri-ball would be better, but I don't know. You can sometimes find older style barrels for sale on the net. They usually need to be faced off my a Gunsmith with a Lathe, and a chamber reamer. That's the best way to get a good pattern.
greg

·
Registered
975 Posts
I was under the impression that the deerslayer barrels were tighter than Cylinder and instead of having the choke at the end of the barrel, it went from the forcing cone to the muzzle.

This allowed the slug to properly align in the barrel and would swage the slug to fit well, and thus their legendary smoothbore slug accuracy.

The official answer will probably have to come from one of the several Ithaca experts that are around...

·
Premium Member
514 Posts
razdog said:
I was under the impression that the deerslayer barrels were tighter than Cylinder and instead of having the choke at the end of the barrel, it went from the forcing cone to the muzzle.

This allowed the slug to properly align in the barrel and would swage the slug to fit well, and thus their legendary smoothbore slug accuracy.

The official answer will probably have to come from one of the several Ithaca experts that are around...
Absolutely correct-amundo.

12ga Deerslayer bbls have a constant I.D. of about .708" from forcing-cone to muzzle.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Black_Talon said, "12ga Deerslayer bbls have a constant I.D. of about .708" from forcing-cone to muzzle".

Please correct me if I am wrong, but cylinder choke means absolutely no constriction at the end of the barrel. That would agree with there being a constant internal diameter from forcing cone to muzzle.

Also, .708" internal diameter is a different dimension than the standard bird barrels. This is a slightly tighter diameter than the bird barrels have thus ensuring a snugger fit down the barrel resulting in improved accuracy of slugs.

I think we are all saying the same thing, but in a different way.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Sounds like its a newer gun with a replacemant barrel, hence the finish differences??? I'm sure somebody will correct me if I'm wrong, but by the serial # you provided it is actually a Model 87 Magnum. I have a blued 87 Deerslayer, Ser # MAG-870028xxx and it has a 20" rifled barrel with a 3" chamber. I've never seen a 37/87 I didn't like. Sounds like it would be a neat gun, good luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all of the replies,I hope they keep coming because your input is pricless knowledge.I shot/patterned my new/old Ithica today wwith rem&win OO buck(required for deer in my county)I now believe I have one of the oldest sexiest combat/home defence/tatcacal shotguns ever made.
I will look for a another deer gun but I think I found an outstanding defence gun in my search,I do love this gun.
I will also probably be looking for mor barrels/shotguns in the future.Did I mention the quality American workmanship?

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Southgadog,

Pattern spread is always determined by degree of choke and the target distance. In this case of a 19" barrel compared to say a 26" barrel, you will get a slightly lower velocity. But if we were comparing an Imp. Cyl. choked 19" barrel to an identically choked 26" barrel, the pattern spread will be the same for both.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
4xfourfun said:
Sounds like its a newer gun with a replacemant barrel, hence the finish differences??? I'm sure somebody will correct me if I'm wrong, but by the serial # you provided it is actually a Model 87 Magnum. I have a blued 87 Deerslayer, Ser # MAG-870028xxx and it has a 20" rifled barrel with a 3" chamber. I've never seen a 37/87 I didn't like. Sounds like it would be a neat gun, good luck!
So,I have A model 87 magnum with a M37 featherlight 2 3/4 " barell? If this is correct I should be able to put 3" chamber barrels on this reciever?

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Hi scout,

Yes that is correct. Too bad you're shooting buckshot, as I have a 12 gauge fully rifled Deerslayer barrel to sell.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah,a rifled slug barell would be sweet.The buckshot only kind of took me by suprise.I grew up in WV and buckshot was illeagal.You can hunt with a muzzle loader throughout the deer gun season and with there range I don't quite understand the buckshot only(Lawmakers have no common sense)
I do appreciate all the information you guys have shared.
I have always heard about the 37 but have never owned one until now.This will not be my last.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.