Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I opened a couple of steel shot shells, 1 Winchester and 1 Federal (both #2 shot) and was suprized at what I saw. Almost all of the Federal shot were perfectly round and uniform, where as the Winchester shot pellets were deformed with either dimples, oblong or oval shapes, even a couple of pellets that were hollow. Before you start to think I own stock in Federal ammunition or something let me say that my gun performs much better with Winchster shot than with federal; the Federal seems to jam my gun. It just seems to me that round shot would fly truer and pattern better than mis-shapen shot. Does anybody have any similar experiences or input on this?

·
Registered
999 Posts
I think you'll find that shot quality varies greatly between brands of shotshells. I've also heard that shot quality also varies within the same brand, i.e. Winchester Supreme ammo has better shot than Xpert ammo. I haven't patterned enough steel shot to know if the mis-shapen shot effects pattern quality, but I wouldn't suspect it causes enough problems to be concerned about.

I also have difficulty getting some Federal ammo to cycle my auto's. I believe they use faster-burning powders than other manufacturers, leaving less pressure to cycle the action.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
I've posted a thread on this previously with pictures,
although i think the post has expired by now.
Win X-Pert ammo has horrendous lookin shot,
although there's a lot of
folks that say they still work well, i don't use them.
I imagine winchesters premium lines have much better shot.
But Remingtons promo lines have good lookin shot, as does federals promo shells, only Win. cuttin heavy corners.
I won't buy anything winchester personally, but that's just me.
When it comes to factory steel loads, i'd stick with Federal or Kent, both have good coponents and work very well.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
That is interesting. I have some Xperts left over from last year. I will cut one open and compare w/ shot from a fasteel load.

Funny to hear that someone else has problems with federal steel shells. I have a Browning BPS that doesn't like federal hi brass shells. The shells stick in the chamber after being fired. My theory is that the brass on federal shells swell more than other brands when fired thus creating a really snug fit with the chamber. This causes enough restance to keep the action from cycling properly. This gun has never had this problem with any other brand of shells so I stay away from federal hi brass stuff. Maybe they are cuting corners and using cheap material for casings?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just thought i'd mention that it was, in fact xpert shot from Winchester; and that the Federal shells get stuck in my chamber as well.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Regarding Federal ammo, my problem seems to be a little different. Instead of sticking in the chamber, I just seem to get low bolt-speed in my semi-autos. The shells will either barely dribble out of the ejection port or will get stuck in it. Of course, extra drag in the chamber could cause this, too, but I would also expect some to not cycle the bolt at all, which does not happen.

I have also heard that Federal's rim shape is slightly different, making it harder for extractors to 'get a grip'. This could also be the cause for pump guns failing to eject.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts