Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have experience with DeHaan shotguns?

I shoot registered skeet with my Berettas, but I thought for fun (an occassional round) a side-by-side would be a kick in the pants. I am thinking 28 or 410.

Anyone got comments? They look pretty good on their website, but it's easy to get taken in by fancy engraving. They definitely look better than CZ or Huglus...though I believe they're manufactured by Huglu. At around a grand, they seem to be a good buy.

Thanks for any input.

SD

·
Registered
425 Posts
I don't know much about the Dehans, they are hand picked Huglus from what I understand. I think each one is supposed to be disassembled and inspected before he accepts them. I did but some Huglus for relatives. I have a friend stationed in Turkey and he is allowed to ship 5 per year to the states. I worked out a deal with him last year and my dad and 3 brothers got beautiful Huglu over/unders and my best friend got a SxS. They are all very happy with them. My friend uses his at the skeet range almost every weekend and hasn't had any problems with it.

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
claybreaker wrote:
I don't know much about the Dehans, they are hand picked Huglus from what I understand.
That's true. Mark DeHaan puts every gun through a 24(?) point inspection before accepting them. If they do not pass they go back to Turkey.

USMC-Ret wrote:
I sent the owner an email on the 16th and I'm still waiting on a reply.
Call him. It is quicker and Mark will treat you fairly. I've been there, done that.

skeetdad wrote:
They definitely look better than CZ or Huglus...though I believe they're manufactured by Huglu.
They are in fact made by Huglu and are hand picked by Mark DeHaan for sale in the USA. I have a 28 SXS I'd part with due to fit. It does not fit me. Not worth it to me to have the stock adjusted.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
I have a S2 in 28ga(SxS) that is just deadly on quail. Have put a couple of thousand rds thru it with no problems. It is sad that Mark is doing only the custom guns now as I feel like I got a lot of gun for the money.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I have the SGr(custom gun) in a 28 ga O/U, and the S-2 left-hand in 20 ga. and love them both. Mark's customer service is the best in the business. Call him and talk to him or Cody and they will treat you right. Be sure to ask about the in-stock guns as they have made some changes to their inventory, and are going to be mainly in the custom gun business.

If I ever buy another shotgun, I will call Mark first to see if he has what I want. You will not be dissatisfied.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
SxS guns are quite a kick to shoot skeet with! If you're getting a De Haan, I'd recommend the 28 ga for a few reasons.

1. The .410 is fixed IC and MOD, not the best for skeet. The 28 ga. has choke tubes, and you can choke it how you want it.

2. The 28 breaks targets a little more easily than the .410, making it more fun to shoot skeet with.

3. You'll probably want to hunt with it eventually, and the 28 is a more "usable" round than the .410.

If you want a De Haan 28 ga, then you'd better get one NOW. De Haan is doing away with their "ready-made" guns, and will soon sell only their SGr Deluxe custom made guns. The only SxS 28 ga they advertise as of this writing is the S2, priced at $1019. BUT, you can get 10% off if you look around the De Haan forum on this site and find the discount code. (Or just ask there, someone will show you where it's at.)

BTW, I've owned 2 De Haans (I just sold my U5E), and have been very happy with their performance and service.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks to all for the comments!

I have 2 28 ga. sXs for fooling around, which is what I want the 410 for. At $1019, taht's almost giving the gun away, what with the looks of them. The full scroll engraving is amazing for a gun at 2x the price.

After the intensity of registered season, this should be fun. I shoot 95% 410 in practice, so looking forward to playing around with a 410 sxs. Should be good for the ego!

I'm not a hunter, but I'll probably have Bob Day bore out the chokes to skeet/skeet, or put in choke tubes. He does great work.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I have two of his O/U....410 and 28 ga. Use the .410 for skeet and she's great. The 28 is so sweet I don't even use my 12ga Baretta anymore for five stand and sporting clays.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.