Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok just picked up my first long gun safe. Question, how do I know if I need a dehumidifier? I live 5 miles from the So. Calif. coast, the safe will be in the garage. It's generally dry here, rarely below 40 degrees in winter, but on occasion we get morning fog. And if I need a dehumidifier, should I get the plug in type, or use the moisture absorbing media?

·
Registered
526 Posts
No question that you need a dehumidifier. Get a GoldenRod or equivalent. Drill the necessary hole. Plug it in. Also a good idea to bolt your safe to the concrete and the wall behind it as well. Prepare the guns for storage as you would anyway. All set for business.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Get a hydrometer and stick it in your safe. If it's not a low number (like 20-30%) 30% being high, get a dehumidifier, the plug in type is nice, and they make some small ones now too.

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
Condensation will be your biggest problem, if you have large fluctuations in your garage temperature. Keep a check on things the first few weeks, and like Sidelock said, get a Goldenrod. It will last years with no upkeep. The moisture soakers will require oven baking to dry them out regularly.

·
Registered
9,163 Posts
The trouble with the things that absorb the water is, they need to be baked in a slightly warm oven to regenerate them. If you can stick to a steady schedule for doing that, you're a better man than I am, Gunga Din! I never could remember to do it, and it was a pain in the butt, so I got a Goldenrod and never looked back.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I use the golden rod and the desiccant bags as well in my safe. They are cheap, cheap, cheap insurance.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The safe I got has a hole in the back for a dehumidifier. So it sounds like a "Goldenrod" is my best bet, do they make different sizes, my safe is 23 cubic feet? As for keeping the interior dry, any chance of getting it too dry and damaging the wood on the guns?

·
Registered
561 Posts
Claytime said:
The safe I got has a hole in the back for a dehumidifier. So it sounds like a "Goldenrod" is my best bet, do they make different sizes, my safe is 23 cubic feet? As for keeping the interior dry, any chance of getting it too dry and damaging the wood on the guns?
You can get different sizes of the golden rod. Your safe is not that big so you could go with a smaller one if you want.
Reality is though you have nothing to really be concerned with as far as getting your safe too dry. I would just get one that would easily handle your cubic footage and forget about it.
Gun wood is usually kiln dried or long term air dried and has a very small % of moisture (+/- 8%) in it so there is very little potential for any kind of damage based on your golden rod creating too dry an environment.

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Remington also maakets a unit about the size of thick paperback book. Goes for about $25, if I remember correctly. It's got a folding plug on the back. To recharge the dessicant, you plug it into a socket. I've got one in my safe. When the crystals change to purple or reddish, I pop it into a charger and let it charge while I sleep; put it back in the safe the next day. I find I need to plug it in every 7 to 10 days. Thinking about going to two of the units in my safe. Then again, the guns are all looking great, so maybe I'll just use the money for shells.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
MGF said:
Remington also markets a unit about the size of thick paperback book. Goes for about $25, To recharge the dessicant, you plug it into a socket.
I like this one also. Works without heating up the safe, and does not need to be plugged in all the time.

Mine lasts about 20-30 days (in a 24 gun safe) between recharge, depending on how often you open your safe. Recharges in about ten hours.

Cabelas has them for $24.95

I remember some very humid days living on the west coast, and don't forget about the salt air. You might want to try one of these as well.

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
DeGriz,
The size of our safes, and our climates, are similar. I must open my safe too much, or something is amiss. Mine might need a full, 10-hour charge. I'll give it a go. Thanks.
Mark

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
The Remington one from Cabela's seems really nice. I am waiting for my dehumidifier to arrive, I got the large silica gel one in the aluminum can. I know I have to recharge it periodically in the oven, but it's rated for 75 cubic feet, and my safe is only 12, so I'm hoping that recharges will be infrequent.

Cameron

1 - 13 of 13 Posts