Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
I have no idea, but judging by the styling on the box, i'd say that was made in the late 70's or early 80's. Expresses came out in the late 80's but there is no dimensional difference.

This kind of thing happens all the time. Joe engineer makes up a product for acme widget company. Tthey send off the drawing to Taiwan (or nowadays China) to be made for cheap. They cut a P.O. for a whole container load of them..maybe 2500 widget since there is a price break for orders of more than 2000. Naturally, being smart Asian businessmen, they want payment up front. Upon delivery, acme widgets discovers they don't fit good, but can be trimmed.

...So what do they do.? A) sh!t-can all the product and try to sue a foreign sweat shop, or B) pass off the product and get paid what they can even though a few customers will return the product and complain.

This happens constantly with cheaply made auto parts and just about any other product these days.

·
Registered
937 Posts
I can't respond to the pistol grip, but, I have the forend.

I bought mine YEARS ago. I also have an older Choate pistol grip stock.

Anyway. . . . .(I digress, terribly). . .
On my forend, I had to trim the forend where the barrel groove is, on the 'receiver' end. The groove or channel is just not wide enough back there. (See your photo, where the metal tube is exposed. There is the area (rubber coompound) that needs to be opend up.)

What I did - - - chuck a sanding drum in the drillpress that was a little larger in diameter than the barrel diameter, toward the chamber.
CAREFULLY open up the groove on the back of the forend until the action will open and close smoothly. (I created a 'taper' in the groove of the forend.)

Lastly, being curious, have these forends fallen out of favor?
I really liked mine when it was on my old 870. In fact, when I do my next 870 for HD, this forend is going back on!

Keith

1 - 5 of 5 Posts